2 different types of 3 woods

shewythemuss

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys first post in a while, just a quick question.
I've got two 3 woods an x2 hot pro 3 deep great for off the tee and a bombtech 3 wood which is shallow and great off the deck.
I was wondering if anyone else carries 2 clubs of the same loft (ish) for different shots.
Considering taking an inch off the bombtech and playing it 42" purely nstead of buying a 5 wood as I get plenty of height on it.

While I only game one fairway wood, I don't see the issue at all with you carrying both the 3deep and the bomb tech if you have the open slot and fits your gaps :)

Not so much the gaps its more about ability! Can't hit the 3 deep off the deck very well although it is a bit longer than the bombtech, I do have an open slot mind.
The bombtech is very good off the deck,but I can have a tendency to pop it up off the tee.

I've always played my 3 wood at 42", this was the more traditional length once upon a time too. If you can get it cut and swing weighted by a good fitter, I'd definitely recommend it. Bubba Watson at 6'4 plays his 3 wood at 42" as well.

You have a driver for off the tee a 3 wood for off the tee and a 3 wood for off the deck. I don't know your game but it seems to me that you aren't getting the most out of your set up.

I've got two 3 woods an x2 hot pro 3 deep great for off the tee and a bombtech 3 wood which is shallow and great off the deck.

A friend of mine had the same issue. Turned out he was teeing it up just a smidge too much on the tee. Not sure what would stop you hitting it well off the tee. If I was you I'd just keep the bombtech in the bag and not use a tee pretend its a fairway shot by not teeing up at all. Seems like a massive waste of a slot.

Maybe I'll be better of going for a 5 wood, then hybrid to get the gaps a bit better,tbh prefer more options at the top end of my bag as good with the wedges I have

I'm considering something similar. I currently go 3w, 2H, 4H, then irons but am looking at XR Deep or AeroMini, 4w, 3H, then irons. I never, ever use my 2H because I think it's harder to hit that my 3w, so I think it would gap better.

Maybe I'll be better of going for a 5 wood, then hybrid to get the gaps a bit better,tbh prefer more options at the top end of my bag as good with the wedges I have

This what I'd say. Get a shallow faced 5 wood or a hybrid to fill that gap.

I have been carrying two drivers for the last two years. I have a ping 10.5* for holes that are wide open and I feel I can let er rip. I also carry a ping 13.5* for when I must find a fairway. Hoping to drop the 13.5* this year, if the new 3 wood works out like it should.

If you hit the Bombtech off the deck very well, but pop it up on the tee box, then you must be teeing it too high.
I'd suggest carrying the Bombtech and tee it very low and if needed, move the ball back just a little.
Drop the 3deep and then you could add a hybrid or maybe another wedge?
But....what you are showing as your current set up is 16 clubs, which is 2 more than legal ?

I was wondering if anyone else carries 2 clubs of the same loft (ish) for different shots.
Considering taking an inch off the bombtech and playing it 42" purely nstead of buying a 5 wood as I get plenty of height on it.

Or just tee it up off the deck if you like it and are consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But....what you are showing as your current set up is 16 clubs, which is 2 more than legal ?
Last time I played with Jman, he probably had at least 20 clubs in his bag. :D

As an experiment, I threw two 3w in my bag two weeks ago. I really like both clubs, but for different reasons. Both are 15°, but each produces a completely different shot and distance. They actually pair quite well in the bag together.
I have one more experiment I am working on, but right now I think I'm going to go forward with both in the bag.

2 different types of 3 woods

I have been carrying two drivers for the last two years. I have a ping 10.5* for holes that are wide open and I feel I can let er rip. I also carry a ping 13.5* for when I must find a fairway. Hoping to drop the 13.5* this year, if the new 3 wood works out like it should.

Until last I carried two drivers as well. A R1 that I could actually hit a draw with fairly regularly and an XHot that had a natural fade.

Then I got an OptiForce that pretty much goes straight. So I'm back to one....for now :)

For a long time I carried both a 5w and 2i. I used my 2i off the tee when I wanted to keep a shot low and let it run. The 5w is my go to club on longer par 5's where I need a fairway to get home. I have since dropped the 2i and am looking to pick up a nice 22-24* hybrid to replace it.

I've carried two 3w type clubs many times. They weren't the exact same loft though.

Probably the only thing that has loft overlap is when I have 7W and a 3H in the bag. Those have very different ball flights though, and typically length as well.

Currently I carry a 12.5 degree 2 wood and a 16 degree 4 wood made possible by my XR Pro 4 and 5 irons being long enough to retire my hybrids. I can see playing with this set up for a very long time.

I only carry 14 clubs lol, the two wedges from my Yonex irons are my winter wedges with a ton of bounce in the soggy conditions we endure here in Wales, the two ICY wedges are my summer wedges which hopefully will be getting dusted down shortly.

I only carry 14 clubs lol, the two wedges from my Yonex irons are my winter wedges with a ton of bounce in the soggy conditions we endure here in Wales, the two ICY wedges are my summer wedges which hopefully will be getting dusted down shortly.

I see...I stand corrected. :peace2:

Back