2 Person Scramble Tips?

Caper

Reaction score
Handicap
I just signed my girlfriend and I up for a two person scramble. It will be our first scramble together and I am wondering if you all have some tips for us so we can maximize the fun factor and maybe play well too.

She plays to a 34 hcp and I am a 9. Any idea how handicap is calculated for net scores?

Thanks!

Well if they just take your best ball then she would be getting two shots on almost every hole, so if she shot a 6 say, and you had a 5 then she would have gotten "par" for guys. I think its important in a two person scramble to set a one person hits first, the other second rotation and stick with it for the whole round. I'm going to assume since her tee's will be much forward that will be you first.

Yeah, i hear you on the hitting. She was thinking of hitting first, but where she will be teeing it up ahead of me, I will probably tee off first. We might switch and have me second the rest of the time. It might work best this way as she is usually more consistent off the tee than I am. And if she hits it well she can hit it a bit over 200 yards.

Not sure I've ever played in a scramble that used handicaps. I've played in a scramble league in the past that was simply playing from the best ball each shot. I was always the better putter, so the other went first to give me a good read.

Just have fun. Every time I go into a scramble with a top dog crew trying to slay the course we do poorly. My last several have all worked out well playing a good mix of hc's all drinking beer and having a blast.

Yeah, I have been in a few 4-man scrambles and we went in expecting nothing. The worst I have ever done in the 3 I entered is 2nd. I just didn't know if a mixed two person was all that different. We are definitely not going in expecting to win. We just want to have an enjoyable afternoon of golf and meet some new people. Doing well is a bonus.

The last mixed I did was kind of cool as we had a chick that could out drive almost anyone I know, lol. Just a touch Amazonian, but she carried my sorry butt all day and put money in my pocket by the end. We thought she would just find the fw and we could blast away, it got funny as we laughed about not needing to tee off, haha.

WOW! Looks like I am going to have to send the GF to the gym to do some bench press. I think she could hit pretty far with the proper fitting though. 2 years ago she caught one perfectly and hit it 265. Two guys on another hole watched her drive and came to our fairway to shake her hand because they never saw a woman hit that far. Hope she has a few of them in her for the tourney lol

WOW! Looks like I am going to have to send the GF to the gym to do some bench press. I think she could hit pretty far with the proper fitting though. 2 years ago she caught one perfectly and hit it 265. Two guys on another hole watched her drive and came to our fairway to shake her hand because they never saw a woman hit that far. Hope she has a few of them in her for the tourney lol

No doubt, that's gravy when most scrambles have the ladies tee's way up front.

I suggest letting her putt first every time. You should get a decent read if she can hit it fairly straight.

On another note, have fun and try not to tell her what to do. She will enjoy herself a lot more if you let her just step up and hit the ball.

Have fun out there!

When I am doing a two man scramble, we play it this way:

shorter hitter first off the tee
most accurate hitter first into greens
better chipper and putter goes second for the read.

Back