20 pts - How do you allocate them to the areas of your game?

InHartWeTrust

Ball Go Far.
Reaction score
Handicap
4-5ish
Simple concept here fellas, and I think it will be interesting to see where the THP members place the most emphasis.

You have 20 points to allocate between the 4 skill areas of the game, and then a secondary ranking to allocate those points to two areas within the primary area.

Scorecard:

1) Getting off the tee
  • Distance
  • Accuracy
2) Approachs
  • Accuracy
  • Distance Control
3) Greenside scrambling
  • Creativity
  • Touch
4) Putting
  • Distance control
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in

How do you allocate them, and why? What is your logic for your ranking?

One rule:

1) You must rank one primary area as a 4 or below.

edit: This is a "What would you do in a dream world" question, not a grade your current self thread. Should have specified that ahead of time, my bad!

Last edited:
Here is my entry, for example:

1) Getting off the tee - 6

• Distance - 3
  • Accuracy - 3
2) Approaches - 4

• Accuracy - 2
  • Distance Control- 2
3) Greenside scrambling - 4

• Creativity - 2
  • Touch - 2
4) Putting - 6

• Distance control - 2
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in - 4

Why? I believe getting off the tee and putting are the most crucial. A bad drive can cost you penalty strokes or put you in a position where you can't utilize your approach skills (i.e. you have to punch out). Off the tee I want distance, but I am equally as focused on control and keeping myself in play. Average iron play can be made up with the ability to scramble, and make putts...distance control and accuracy are equally important to me, so I split them with 2 pts each. Ultimately being a great putter can save your ass...and being deadly inside 8 feet can do a TON of good for saving strokes.

Ouch. This one is tough.

1) Getting off the tee-6

• Distance-2
  • Accuracy-4

2) Approachs-6

• Accuracy-3
  • Distance Control-3

3) Greenside scrambling-3

• Creativity-1
  • Touch-2

4) Putting-5

• Distance control-2
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in-3

My scores are just for pure honesty. I've been slacking on working on chipping and pitching and it's proved. I used to be great from anywhere. Usually, I get it in inside 5 feet pretty easily from anywhere. Now, I just can't seem to have the control I once had. And my bunker play sucks. That never helps. The rest of the points are pretty explanatory. My putting is okay and my ball striking is great right now.

1) Getting off the tee - 5

• Distance - 4.5
  • Accuracy - .5 (before losing strokes to penalty, I just don't hit a lot of fairways)

2) Approaches - 5

• Accuracy - 1
  • Distance Control- 4
3) Greenside scrambling - 5

• Creativity - 2.5
  • Touch - 2.5
4) Putting - 5

• Distance control - 1.5
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in - 3.5

This is my score not my ideal score haha

JT, I meant in a dream world how would you do it...but I like the honesty of giving how you grade yourself!

JT, I meant in a dream world how would you do it...but I like the honesty of giving how you grade yourself!

Oh whoops. I thought we were grading our games right now. Haha

Ok, if I understand correctly...I would strive for all things being pretty equal.

1) Getting off the tee - 5

• Distance - 2
  • Accuracy - 3

2) Approaches - 5

• Accuracy- 2.5
  • Distance Control - 2.5

• Creativity - 1
  • Touch - 4

4) Putting - 5

• Distance control - 2.5
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in - 2.5
I think all the areas you listed are pretty important to having a well rounded game. And if these applied to how I play right now, I'm not sure I have 20 points total. :beat-up:

Oh whoops. I thought we were grading our games right now. Haha

It's snowing here in Ohio, I'd be too scared to do that right now bro haha. Should be clearing up in the next couple weeks though...thank god!

Scorecard:
1) Getting off the tee

Distance: 4
Accuracy: 1

2) Approachs

Accuracy: 2
Distance Control: 2

3) Greenside scrambling

Creativity: 1
Touch: 4

4) Putting

Distance control: 4
Accuracy 8 feet and in: 2

I believe that the tee shot is the second most needed skill, since a good tee shot is needed to get yourself to a position to be able to score well. The most important shot on every hole is the putt. Distance control is probably the most important shot on evey hole due to the fact that you can eliminate excessive strokes with this shot. The other important shot is touch around the green. I ranked it egual to putting distance control because it is very similar to distance control with the putter. It eliminates excessive strokes as well.

I believe that the tee shot is the second most needed skill, since a good tee shot is needed to get yourself to a position to be able to score well. The most important shot on every hole is the putt. Distance control is probably the most important shot on evey hole due to the fact that you can eliminate excessive strokes with this shot. The other important shot is touch around the green. I ranked it egual to putting distance control because it is very similar to distance control with the putter. It eliminates excessive strokes as well.

I agree 100% on this. 14 of the 18 holes (par 72) will start from the tee, and while you certainly can't ensure a good hole from the tee with a good tee ball...you absolutely can ensure a bad hole from the tee with a wayward tee shot (specifically OB).

1) Getting off the tee - 7
Distance - 4
Accuracy - 3

2) Greenside scrambling - 6
Creativity - 2
Touch - 4

3) Putting - 5
Distance control - 1
Accuracy 8 feet and in - 4

4) Approachs - 2
Accuracy - 1
Distance Control - 1

1) Getting off the tee 7

• Distance 3
  • Accuracy 4

2) Approachs 5

• Accuracy 3
  • Distance Control 2

3) Greenside scrambling 3

• Creativity 2
  • Touch 1

4) Putting 5

• Distance control 3
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in 2

I believe hitting a accurate tee shot in the fairway is most important & getting good distance too... then I would say distance control on mid to long range putts is also very important, nothing racks up your score like 3 putting.

1) Getting off the tee - 3

• Distance 0
  • Accuracy 3

2) Approach - 5

• Accuracy 3
  • Distance Control 2

3) Green side scrambling - 4

• Creativity 0
  • Touch 4

4) Putting - 8

• Distance control 4
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in 4

Scorecard:
1) Getting off the tee

• Distance 2
  • Accuracy 4

2) Approachs

• Accuracy 3
  • Distance Control 3

3) Greenside scrambling

• Creativity 1
  • Touch 1

4) Putting

• Distance control 2
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in 4

My logic is that hitting fairways and greens and avoiding three putts would let me shoot par or better most often. Short game would be least important because even the occasional double chip would only cause a bogey, and the accurate driving and iron play would keep you out of trouble most often. Saying that, in my game now short game is very important because I don't hit many GIR.

1) Getting off the tee - 3

• Distance - 1.5
  • Accuracy -1.5

2) Approachs - 3

• Accuracy - 1.5
  • Distance Control -1.5

3) Greenside scrambling - 7

• Creativity - 2
  • Touch - 5

4) Putting - 7

• Distance control - 3.5
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in - 3.5

• Distance - 2
  • Accuracy - 4

2) Approachs - 3

• Accuracy - 2
  • Distance Control - 1

• Creativity - 2
  • Touch - 3

4) Putting - 6

• Distance control - 3
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in - 3

1) Getting off the tee - 2

Distance - 1
Accuracy - 1

2) Approachs - 8

Accuracy - 4
Distance Control - 4

3) Greenside scrambling - 2

Creativity - 1
Touch - 1

4) Putting - 8

Distance control - 4
Accuracy 8 feet and in - 4

This is based on my game and the reason I am a 22 handicap. I can duff tee shots and with any kind of decent 2nd shot still make it to the green with a good approach shot. If that approach shot has good accuracy and distance control I still have a great chance of making par, especially if my putting is good. To improve my game I have to improve landing that approach shot closer to the pin. Right now I am average 40 putts a game. I realize I am still just a hacker but my crappy scores are coming from the approach shot and my putting.

Scorecard:
1) Getting off the tee -20

• Distance - 5
  • Accuracy - 15

2) Approaches - 0

• Accuracy
  • Distance Control

3) Greenside scrambling - 0

• Creativity
  • Touch

4) Putting - 0

• Distance control
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in

Scorecard:
1) Getting off the tee (6)

• Distance (3)
  • Accuracy (3)

2) Approachs (5)

• Accuracy (2)
  • Distance Control (3)

3) Greenside scrambling (3)

• Creativity (1)
  • Touch (2)

4) Putting (6)

• Distance control (2)
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in (4)
I don't know, in my book, I guess I feel like if I can hit the fairway off the drive, and then hit the green, with a strong putting ability from 8 feet and in, I could accomplish some pretty good golf.

~Rock

Scorecard:
1) Getting off the tee (5)

• Distance (3)
  • Accuracy (2)

2) Approachs (7)

• Accuracy (4)
  • Distance Control (3)

• Creativity (0)
  • Touch (3)

4) Putting (5)

• Distance control (2)
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in (3)

I see a correlation between approach accuracy and putting accuracy, and approach accuracy and scrambling. Having a more accurate approach game would make use of an accurate putting game; hit it close and be able to sink the put. Also, having a more accurate approach game would require less focus on scrabling. I'd rather have a tried and true shot for the par save than be ok with a number of shots. I think that would solve the majority of problems.

Scorecard:
1) Getting off the tee (6)

• Distance (4)
  • Accuracy (2)
2) Approachs (5)

• Accuracy (2)
  • Distance Control (3)

• Creativity (1)
  • Touch (2)
4) Putting (6)

• Distance control (2)
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in (4)
After watching yesterdays match between Phil and Brandt that should just about sum it up for me. Love Phil's distance and Brandt's putting on the greens. Put both together and you have a pretty darn good player. So I'll take a bit of importance off the scrambling and approach shots as long as I'm hitting greens. Then let the putter take care of the rest.

I think it's interesting to look and notice how much emphasis people place in their tee shots. It's not a criticism by any means, I just think it's an interesting thing.

My reasoning on the importance of the drive is, lets see someone score good continually while spraying their tee shots all offer the course. It would really make for a long day IMO.

Simple concept here fellas, and I think it will be interesting to see where the THP members place the most emphasis.

You have 20 points to allocate between the 4 skill areas of the game, and then a secondary ranking to allocate those points to two areas within the primary area.

Scorecard:

1) Getting off the tee
  • Distance
  • Accuracy
2) Approachs
  • Accuracy
  • Distance Control
3) Greenside scrambling
  • Creativity
  • Touch
4) Putting
  • Distance control
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in

How do you allocate them, and why? What is your logic for your ranking?

I love the idea of being an extremely balanced player, but accuracy off the tee and on approach is huge for me...

1 - 6
2 - 6
3 - 3
4 - 5

Cool idea, I'll throw in my .02...

Scorecard:

• Distance - 2
  • Accuracy - 4

2) Approachs - 4

• Accuracy - 2
  • Distance Control - 2

• Creativity - 2
  • Touch - 3

4) Putting - 5

• Distance control - 2
  • Accuracy 8 feet and in - 3

I ranked getting off the tee highest because the more I play the more strokes I realize I lose by missing the fairway. It is very important to be able to hit your second shot from the fairway. I ranked accuracy higher than distance because I would rather be 270 in the fairway than 300 in the woods, water or bad rough. It is more important to control the ball off the tee than to be long, IMO. For approach and greenside scrambling, I know that the #1 key to making birdies is GIR. But I would rather have an amazing short game than a great iron game. GIR will happen but the best of the best seem to be the ones that grind out the tough pars when the iron game just isn't as sharp. Putting was ranked the same as scrambling because if I had a great short game I would leave myself shorter putts that I would hopefully make most of the time and for those less than stellar iron shots I could have a good chance at a solid one or two putt.

Back