20 Year Old Living At Home Going To School Rant

Here's the deal. My mom and dad died a few years ago and they left a sizeable estate which the kids now benefit from. This won't be my plan.

I'm going to give our kids what they need while my wife and I are alive. We want to see their happiness and make sure they have what they need now and not wait 30yrs for our assets. Take care of the kids and grand kids while you're alive. Can't see their happiness when you're dead.
Sorry for your loss. Not everyone comes into that extra funding by that age, or even any age. Kids need to be taught responsibilities, as well as earning things. That said they also need assistance at times. My folks didn’t have that option when I was younger. I had to work for anything and everything I ever wanted or needed. My family leaves inheritance to the next of kin. Doesn’t mean the young uns don’t get what they need. My son had a hard time figuring out the difference between want and need.

Yea I forgot about his cell, and his $450 per month for car insurance. Now I'm really mad!:LOL:
$450 a month? That to me indicates something he needs to pay for. I’m assuming he did something to bring that high rate. Mine did as well. He is actually proud that he is managing hit funds to pay his own stuff.

$450 a month? That to me indicates something he needs to pay for. I’m assuming he did something to bring that high rate. Mine did as well. He is actually proud that he is managing hit funds to pay his own stuff.

Yup! Rear ended an "old guy." He said the guy stopped in the middle of road when he shouldn't have so it was the man in front's fault. Maybe he should have been paying attention to traffic?

Bummer dude. My 04 TL still on original clutch with 290,000 on it.

Also, I wish you were my dad all those years ago lol. My old man would have just called me an idiot and said "2 choices dumba**...take the bus or grab a wrench!"

Yup! Rear ended an "old guy." He said the guy stopped in the middle of road when he shouldn't have so it was the man in front's fault. Maybe he should have been paying attention to traffic?
Gotta agree with that. Rear ended is the guy in backs fault period.

Oh come on now. I'm already hurt enough for today! That was uncalled for!
I've been a Liverpool for about the last 12 years or so and the last couple have been outstanding. But I tell ya what Leeds is an exciting team. They're legit mid table all day and maybe a tad higher.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm surprised no one else has balked at the $2600 price tag for a clutch swap. That seems like a lot.

2006 Acura TSX. The clutch was brand new when he took it over, and I taught him, and I have never burnt out a clutch. The kid is obviously dumping the clutch or trying to double clutch. He is a full time business student and he plays university soccer so that eats up a lot of his time. I would love for him to get a job, trust me!

**** happens pards.

I grew up with 3 speed on the column shifters, and hot rodding & rebuilding 4 speed Muncie/Saginaw transmissions.

After I retired from the Navy, I bought a 2001 Freightliner with a Eaton Fuller 13 speed transmission with double splitter shifter for the low and top end of the gear box. I put 450,000 safe miles on the truck over 5 years shifting over every mountain in the USA I can think of. Then, I was doing some yard work during one of my home times and borrowed my son's Chevy S-10 4 speed for hauling off some tree limbs. I was having a miserable time shifting the damn thing while my son was laughing his ass off at me. I'm not kidding either. :LOL: I was so used to "double clutching" and "floating the gears" with the 13 speed that the tiny shifter and clutch pedal on the S-10 seemed almost alien to me for a good 10 minutes or so.:oops:

I'm surprised no one else has balked at the $2600 price tag for a clutch swap. That seems like a lot.

It's about $600-$700 too high in my opinion. But I have no idea what shop hourly rates are were the OP lives.

The tranny needs to be dropped on the Acura and that eats up some hours, but it's still a one day job with a competent tech..

The clutch pack itself is only about $150 - $350 depending on how much you want to spend on performance.

It's so tough. We have an ongoing debate in our house about when to downsize (when the kids go to college); but more importantly, when to expect them to foot the bill for cars, cells, etc... (I'm in favor of 16, holding out for 18!).

Really tough understanding when to cut loose and when to help out. You're a good person for thinking of your kids needs for sure. Good luck getting those clubs soon, I hope!

It’s different now for college kids as the cost for tuition is relatively so much higher than when I was in college 35 years ago. My In-State tuition at Wisconsin was $865 a semester and now it is $8,840. Gone our the days when you could work two jobs and pay your way through college. I had almost no help from my parents and my kids get a lot of financial support from us even though they both had high paying internships/jobs last summer. That being said it will be interesting to see how my two oldest adjust as one graduates from college in May and the other the following year. We might pay their cell phone bill after they graduate but rent, car insurance, and the rest of it will be on them.

Those are crazy rates for sure and it’s more than our household of five pays for car insurance with a 20 and 22 year old on the policy. There must be multiple accidents and tickets driving those rates up. When my daughter turns 16 next summer it will add $1,200 a year in cost.

Bummer dude. My 04 TL still on original clutch with 290,000 on it.

Also, I wish you were my dad all those years ago lol. My old man would have just called me an idiot and said "2 choices dumba**...take the bus or grab a wrench!"

Those are crazy rates for sure and it’s more than our household of five pays for car insurance with a 20 and 22 year old on the policy. There must be multiple accidents and tickets driving those rates up. When my daughter turns 16 next summer it will add $1,200 a year in cost.

Nope. Just the one accident. ICBC(our government insurance provider) says these new drivers are high risk, and they charge them as such. My wife and I pay about $200 each for our two cars. I wish he could get a job trust me. He plays on the university soccer team, and that eats up a lot of time, and then he is a business student and that is not easy, so adding a job on top of that isn't feasible.

Wow, is that 850$ for car insurance alone every month? 😳 Did a conversion calculator that’s still 647.84 in our currency.

A bus pass and a flip phone will solve all your problems.

A bus pass and a flip phone will solve all your problems.
Was just going to say the exact SAME thing....."Son I'm going to set you up with a $100,000 vehicle"

Wow, is that 850$ for car insurance alone every month? 😳 Did a conversion calculator that’s still 647.84 in our currency.

Yes that is correct. We are getting screwed by our government's insurance corp.

seems like some hard work is in his future! have kids work for the things they want!

If he is in college, does he need a car? just seeing if you could take it back for a bit.

seems like some hard work is in his future! have kids work for the things they want!

If he is in college, does he need a car? just seeing if you could take it back for a bit.

He needs one for the commute to school.

Make sure you don’t forget he may be the one to pick out which nursing home he puts you in....
Teach him how to work so that he can afford a good one! :LOL:

Yea I forgot about his cell, and his $450 per month for car insurance. Now I'm really mad!:LOL:

Holy crap! That's $5400 a year! What happened? Was you Son caught speeding a thousand miles per hour, or does he have a thousand speeding tickets? Oh, wait! I see that you're from Canada, and everything is more expensive than it should be up there.

OK, didn't see there was a whole other page to display. I was rear ended once. The cop told me in that instance it does not matter! Whoever is following behind and rear ends a vehicle in front of them is ALWAYS at fault!

But still, one accident and $5400 a year? Yikes!

Yes that is correct. We are getting screwed by our government's insurance corp.

And I thought just beer was expensive in Canada. Seriously I only travel north of the border to ski or hunt so I had no idea car insurance was double or triple the cost compared to the U.S.

Have him 'pay you back' in good grades and goals. hopefully one of those will work for him for a career.

If that happened to me my folks would have taken at least some from me, probably half. I worked over the spring and summer before summer football practice started, so I made enough to contribute a bit to my insurance expenses.

Hell even when I had to live with them after grad school I was paying them 400/mo, which is nothing really. I'm sure my mom will be expecting the same and to live with us instead of a home... we'll seeeee lol

give him the option to take over all care and maintenance of the acura or else youll provide him with a car thats much less expensive to maintain and repair? I think a toyota yaris oughta send a message lol!

I don't know what my son's car insurance costs as my wife pays the bills but I know it is high. He fell asleep at the wheel driving home from his last exam at 4 in the afternoon when he was in high school then got a speeding ticket. Frankly I need him to have a license he goes to college 3.5 hours away and it is much easier on me for him to have a car up there than me have to make a 7 hour round trip.

My son also plays a sport in college which is a 30 hour a week commitment when you factor in time to get to practice, be ready and get cleaned up after so there is no time for a job.

Kids are expensive much more so today than when I was growing up. My wife keeps telling me they are worth it though :)

Back