2009 for Michelle Wie

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have read about 5 articles over the last few days on Michelle Wie. On top of that the 10 press releases that have been sent to me from sponsors. I am wondering what everyone thinks will happen with her in 2009? I know she has been handled horribly and has been a borderline train wreck in the past, but now she is OFFICIALLY a member of the LPGA.

My prediction is she does quite well this year. Even wins a few tournies and contends and possibly wins a major. I am going out on a limb here, but I think her game has come around a lot and has grown up quite a bit.

I have read about 5 articles over the last few days on Michelle Wie. On top of that the 10 press releases that have been sent to me from sponsors. I am wondering what everyone thinks will happen with her in 2009? I know she has been handled horribly and has been a borderline train wreck in the past, but now she is OFFICIALLY a member of the LPGA.

My prediction is she does quite well this year. Even wins a few tournies and contends and possibly wins a major. I am going out on a limb here, but I think her game has come around a lot and has grown up quite a bit.

I agree. She still needs to dump her parents though. I read an article about how she has playing privileges at a course near Stanford where she plays alone daily . . . while her parents follow her in a golf cart.

Every day.

If she can survive this upbringing, she may be a lot more mentally tough than anyone has guessed.

I'm with you JB. She impress some of the naysayers this year.

I think we will see her improve throughout the year. At the end of last year she was starting to get back on her game, but there are new pressures this year. The media and the expectations following her will be enormous. I think she will have a good year, no more withdraws due to possible 88, but I don't see her winning a tournament until next year. I think she could have a great career if she can get back to the early days of her game. It would be good for the LPGA.

I can't make any prediction on how she'll play, I do hope she has a good year though. She has been handled so poorly and has so many expectations placed on her, it has to be tough.

• Admin
It would be GREAT for the LPGA. As for pressures, I do not think she will face anything tougher than she faced when she played PGA events or when she had her issues previously. But I am looking forward to it.

Now that Wie has gone through Q school and earned her card, Im willing to give her a chance.
Hopefully she has grown up a little bit.
IMO, a Michelle Wie who wins would be good both for the LPGA and for Wie herself. Nothing against the Koreans, but they arent as fan-friendly and as marketable as the Americans and lets face it, the Americans arent winning.
I think that a lot of golf fans have a hard time being excited about the LPGA because its hard for them to really rally behind any of the Koreans.
If Wie starts winning, I think you will see a renewed interest in the LPGA because we all will have an American to cheer for.
I wish Ms. Wie all the luck in the world.

I think she'll do well this year. She's had some time to mature and work on weak parts of her game. (Putting, e.g.) Plus, she could do worse than having David Ledbetter as a guide. It's kinda freaky, though, seeing him follow her around the course. He rarely talks with anyone - it's as though he thinks he's unrecognizable - Not!

She's too much of a loose cannon for me...exciting, but who really knows where it's going...I'll watch but I wouldn't bet money (or even pride) either way.

I think she'll do well this year. She's had some time to mature and work on weak parts of her game. (Putting, e.g.) Plus, she could do worse than having David Ledbetter as a guide. It's kinda freaky, though, seeing him follow her around the course. He rarely talks with anyone - it's as though he thinks he's unrecognizable - Not!

He still looks (to me) like he would snap in half if he tried to pick up a full bag of clubs.

I think she's more naturally talented than many of her competitors, and her ability to bomb it, on those occasions when everthing else is dialed in, will give her a huge advantage. If she doesn't mentally implode or something, I think it's very likely to see some wins, perhaps by large margins, and including possibly a major.

I'm hoping for a great year from Michelle Wie. I've always been a big fan so here's hoping she'll start to show us all what she's capable of.

I think she will do just fine if she ignores her boneheaded parents.

Love the new avatar Dyna.

Nice tidy first round yesterday. She got good driving distances and did what she needed to on the par 5s. We'll see what happens today.

Back