2009 Tampa City Men's Senior & Ladies Amateur Championship

i-Guy

Reaction score
Handicap
???
2009 Tampa City Men's Senior & Ladies Amateur Championship

Babe Zaharias Golf Course

October 31st & November 1st

I am planning to play in this tournament (Senior division) and was wondering if any other THP members were going to be playing as well...see the website at Babe Zaharias Golf Course as tomorrow is the last day to sign up...:thumb:

I cant believe that they are using BZ as the course. So many great options in the area and they choose this one.

Good luck ZM

I cant believe that they are using BZ as the course. So many great options in the area and they choose this one.

I hear you but because this tournament is being run by Sports Authority and they own three courses in the area...BZ, Rogers Park and Rocky Point. I hear Rogers is in pretty bad shape as they canceled the Tampa City Amateur this year which is usually played there. Also BZ has no driving range so it makes it a real challenge to warm up...:banghead:

NOTE:
I guess since Woody Austin groomed his game on this course (many years ago) it holds a certain prestige...I don't see it but I will say it is the hardest 6,200 yard golf course I have ever played and the three finishing holes are very demanding.

The other two are absolutely horrible, but the conditions at BZ especially the greens leave a lot to be desired. You think that BZ is harder than Westchase? You are one of the few that I have heard that from. From the back Westchase I believe is right around the same distance and I always thought it was harder than BZ by quite a bit.

You think that BZ is harder than Westchase? You are one of the few that I have heard that from. From the back Westchase I believe is right around the same distance and I always thought it was harder than BZ by quite a bit.

I am not saying that...all though I have not played Westchase in years so I really do not remember...but I do know that #2, #16 and #18 (PAR 4's over 400 yards) are all severe dog legs to the right and I am more of a straight or right to left player...I can hit a fade but it is not my favorite shot so these holes really do not fit my eye. And on both #16 and #18 you have got to hit your drive at least 250 (threading the needle between trees and OB) to see around the corner (high trees)...I have played a few practice rounds and have yet to figure out a good approach to these holes other then just accepting and playing for a Bogey...:banghead:

16 and 18 are tough holes, but they do usually have soft greens. So you can layup if you need to and still usually get a wedge within 10 feet due to the ease of the greens. The course has a decent layout, but the conditions have always been so poor we have just discounted it. The last time we played it was about 3 months ago and I said then I wouldnt be back. So surprised that they are using it as the course especially considering like you said there is no practice facility. They have a net on the side that you can hit into.

......They have a net on the side that you can hit into.

That must be a joke. I can't imagine a competitive tournament that doesn't have a driving range for the participants to warm up.

That must be a joke. I can't imagine a competitive tournament that doesn't have a driving range for the participants to warm up.

Not a joke. Which is crazy considering how many amazing courses we have in the area that would have hosted this had the Tampa Sports Auth people wanted to do some work rather than just use one of their really bad courses.

Not a joke. Which is crazy considering how many amazing courses we have in the area that would have hosted this had the Tampa Sports Auth people wanted to do some work rather than just use one of their really bad courses.

Here, since the city runs the show on these tournaments, they spend a couple of months conditioning the courses beforehand. They grow in the rough a bit, put new sand in the bunkers, aerated fairways where needed and fertilize and water more heavily as needed. It is really nice to play in competition when the course is so nice.

Good luck with it, ZM. Maybe those new Srixon clubs will make it easier to play in poor conditions. :D

Good luck with it, ZM. Maybe those new Srixon clubs will make it easier to play in poor conditions. :D

Too funny...:laughing:

I do love :love: my SRIXON irons...

Actually the teeing ground and the fairways at BZ are okay..one problem is the inconsistency with the greens speed from hole to hole....:at-wits-end: I will admit it is challenging with all the things we mentioned...funky holes, no driving range and inconsistent greens...I guess it will be a test of managing my misses but isn't it always...:thumb:

I want to first say that this was my second tournament ever...last year I played in an FSGA qualifier and found out that Bobby Jones was right when he said "There is golf and then there is Tournament golf"

Well after the first day they broke the field into flights based on handicaps as follows:

Flight A - 0-3 handicap (about 15 players)
Flight B - 4-7 handicap (about 18 players)
Flight C - 8-18 handicap (about 20 players)

After the first day I was in 8th place in Flight C....did not play great (Driver trouble) but was able to keep things in front of me and shot an 84. On the second day I actually left the Driver at home (hit 3 wood off the tee) and shot an 81 and ended with a total 165. This was good enough for “5th place” in Flight C.

I feel good about my effort as I improved the second day and I also got some good tournament experience and it got me fired up to keep improving...:thumb:

Congrats ! Sounds like you had fun!

Question:
...last year I played in an FSGA qualifier and found out that Bobby Jones was right when he said "There is golf and then there is Tournament golf"

Did Bobby Jones really say that? I remember in the movie "The Greatest Game Ever Played" the caddy master said it to Ouimet, and I have heard that Harry Vardon had said that in one of his books. And I have heard people say Jones said it in a book.

Does anyone really know??

Back