2009 U.S. Junior Boys Amateur

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
Official Website Of The 2009 U.S. Junior Amateur Championship

Stroke play finished today at Trump National G.C. in Bedminster, N.J. with Jordan Spieth (-6) of Dallas, Texas taking medalist honors with a three shot victory over Anton Arboleda of La Canada, California (-3). The top 64 players in medal play advance to match play, which begins tomorrow. At the end of medal play, eight players were tied for the 64th and final position. A player will be held Wednesday morning beginning at 7:00 a.m. ET to determine which of the eight players will advance to match play.

Golf Channel will be broadcasting coverage of the 4th round of match play:
Friday, July 24th: 11:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m. ET
and again
Saturday, Jul 25th: 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. ET
and coverage of the Final Round:
Saturday, Jul 25th: 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. ET (live)
and again
Sunday, Jul 26th: 12:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m. ET
The Match Play Tree (with live scoring) can be found here:
62nd U.S. Junior Amateur Championship ®

Golf Digest Article on the Junior Am

Golf Digest Article on the Junior Am

College coaches check out juniors at national championships: Local Knowledge: Golf Digest Magazine

College coaches check out juniors at national championships

07.21.09 | 2:52 PM
College coaches always flock to the U.S. Junior Championships. This year with the best boys and girls playing concurrently at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J., record numbers of head coaches and assistants showed up. They've come to watch the kids on their wish lists, but strict NCAA rules determine how they can go about building relationships with them.

This week the coaches are mostly watching. They've done their scouting and know whom they'd like to sign. It gets pretty competitive with the hottest players pursued by a host of schools.

Take Jordan Spieth, for instance. Based on his semifinalist finish in the U.S. Junior in 2008, he is one of only five boys fully exempt in this year's tournament. Walking with him on Trump's New Course during Monday's qualifying round were the six coaches pictured below. Each would consider it a coup to sign him. A high school junior with excellent grades, Spieth has his pick of many schools, even more so after shooting an impressive opening round 66.

072109lk_juniorchampionships.jpg

Back row, left to right, Mike McGraw, Oklahoma State; Chris Haack, University of Georgia;
Kurt Schuette, USC and Conrad Ray, Stanford. Front row, left to right, Derek Freeman, UCLA
and Chris Zambri, USC. Photo by Topsy Siderowf

The national championships are the most grueling competition juniors face each year. After getting through local qualifying, 156 boys and 156 girls play a similar format. There are two rounds of stroke play with the low 64 of each championship making it to match play. The eventual winner will be crowned on Saturday at the conclusion of a 36-hole final.

No other event carries as much prestige as the national junior championship. The winner earns assorted exemptions including into the U.S. Amateur and a place on the short list of every coach in America.

-- Topsy Siderowf

Cool. IIRC, the girl's junior is being played simultaneously on the other 18 there. First time ever. Too bad Boo Girl is at camp; it would have been fun for her (not to mention the role models).

Yes. But, unfortunately, the girls amateur is not getting any TV time.

Too bad because there are several high profile names in the field: Kimberly Kim, Jessica Korda, Alexis Thompson, Victoria Tanco, Lisa McCloskey . . .

Hopefully, the U.S. Women's Amateur (Aug. 3-9, St. Louis, MO) will get better treatment.

Yes. But, unfortunately, the girls amateur is not getting any TV time.

Too bad because there are several high profile names in the field: Kimberly Kim, Jessica Korda, Alexis Thompson, Victoria Tanco, Lisa McCloskey . . .

Hopefully, the U.S. Women's Amateur (Aug. 3-9, St. Louis, MO) will get better treatment.

I wonder if she goes by Kim Kim. What were her parents thinking? Thanks for the info Harry. I'll try to tune in or atleast check in on the scores. Not that I will know any of them.

I wonder if she goes by Kim Kim. What were her parents thinking? Thanks for the info Harry. I'll try to tune in or atleast check in on the scores. Not that I will know any of them.

I have only heard one person refer to her as "Kim Kim" and that was a TV announcer at this year's U.S. Women's Open (can't recall which announcer.)

Since she won the U.S. Women's Am in 2006 (the youngest to do so, at age 14), I have only heard her called Kimberly, both on TV and in print.

I recorded this tonight and just started watching it. I'm pleased to report that they are also covering the Girl's Junior Amateur.

Despite the abbreviated coverage, I enjoyed this broadcast. Golf Channel put its top broadcasters (Dottie Pepper, Kay Cockerill, Mark Rolfing, Vicki Goetze-Ackerman, Steve Burkowski) on, so that was nice.

The matches would have provided significantly more suspense and drama if the broadcast had been longer and more detailed, but it still held my interest.

In the Girl's Junior, Kimberly Kim (2006 U.S. Women's Amateur at age 14; enrolling at Denver U. in the Fall) of Hilo, HI was dominant in her match against Doris Chen of Brandenton, FL winning 5 &4.

Stroke play medalist Amy Ackerman of Oxbow, N.D (enrolling at U of N.Dakota in the Fall) required one extra hole to defeat Luz Alejandra of Cangrejo, Colombia.

In the Boy's Junior, #1 ranked AJGA player and stroke play medalist Jordan Spieth of Dallas, TX relinquished a 4 up lead to Logan Harrell of Huntersville, N.C. before coming back to win the match 1 up.

Jay Hwang of San Diego, CA never trailed in his match and didn't need the full 18 to dispatch opponent Nicholas Reach of Moscow, Pa. 3 & 2.

The final matches (36 holes) are already underway.

Currently
Boys: Hwang 1 up thru 3 over Spieth
Girls: All square through 4

Two hours of live coverage of the final matches begins at 4:00 p.m. ET on Golf Channel immediately following coverage of the Evian Masters.

Stroke play medalist Amy Ackerman of Oxbow, N.D (enrolling at U of N.Dakota North Dakota State in the Fall)

Correction.

EDIT: Can I get a T-chip* for my television?

*Trump chip. Something that puts a black bar over Donald Trump any time he is shown, and filters out his voice when he speaks?

Wow. Jordan Spieth is really mature for a 15 year old. I've seen veteran PGA Tour players who aren't as articulate as Spieth.

I wonder where he will go to college? I'm guessing Stanford.

But if you are reading this Jordan . . .

Good luck at whatever
hypnotize2.gif
hypnotize2.gif
Longhorn.gif
hypnotize2.gif
hookem.gif
hypnotize2.gif
Longhorn.gif
hypnotize2.gif
hypnotize2.gif
school you choose.

EDIT: Hey, my hypno-spinners are no spinny!!!

Wow. Jordan Spieth is really mature for a 15 year old. I've seen veteran PGA Tour players who aren't as articulate as Spieth.

I wonder where he will go to college? I'm guessing Stanford.

But if you are reading this Jordan . . .

Good luck at whatever
hypnotize2.gif
hypnotize2.gif
Longhorn.gif
hypnotize2.gif
hookem.gif
hypnotize2.gif
Longhorn.gif
hypnotize2.gif
hypnotize2.gif
school you choose.

EDIT: Hey, my hypno-spinners are no spinny!!!

They're spinning for me. Maybe they don't think you're special?

USGA Tour Coverage - Golf Channel

Medalists Spieth and Anderson win Junior Am titles
By Associated Press

BEDMINSTER, N.J. – Jordan Spieth and Amy Anderson were the best players in stroke play during the USGA boys’ and girls’ Junior Amateur Championships and nothing changed during match play.

Spieth posted a 4-and-3 victory over Jay Hwang to win the boys’ title and Anderson defeated Kimberly Kim, 6 and 5, for the girls’ championship in 36-hole matches on the New Course at the Trump National Golf Club on Saturday.

The victory by Spieth wasn’t surprising. The 15-year-old Dallas resident lost in the semifinals last year in this event for 17-year-olds and under. Anderson, 17, was a total surprise. The native of Oxbox, N.D. – a town of 300 that is 10 miles south of Fargo – plays golf roughly five months.

“I think this is proof you don’t have to live in Florida to be able to do well in golf,” said the home-schooled Anderson, who will be attending North Dakota State.

The triumphs by Spieth and Anderson marked the first time since 1991 that the stroke play medalists from the first two days of the tournament have gone on to survive the match play phase.

Tiger Woods beat Brad Zwetschke at Bay Hill in Florida for the boys title that year, his first USGA title. Emilee Klein defeated Kimberly Marshall at Crestview Country Club in Wichita, Kan., for the girls title.

The win puts Spieth’s name on a trophy that was won by Woods for three straight years.

“I thought about that all day today,” said Spieth, who will be a junior at Dallas Jesuit High School. “I thought about everyone’s name on there, not just Tiger. You know (David) Duval and players who won it recently like Cory (Whitsett in 2007) and Cameron (Peck last year). They’re still improving and they are amazing players.”

One up with eight holes to play in the afternoon round, Spieth rolled in birdies at Nos. 11, 13 and 14 holes to take command.

Spieth got a conceded birdie at No. 11 when he hit a wedge to 2 feet and Hwang failed to make his birdie from 15 feet. He pumped his fist when another birdie rolled in at 13th and then he went 4-up when Hwang’s tee shot on the par-3, No. 14 went in the water.

Spieth closed out his first USGA championship by sinking an 8-foot birdie putt at No. 15 to halve the hole.

Spieth had trouble putting his victory into words, saying it was simply unbelievable.

“This tournament is so hard to win,” he said. “You have to play great golf six days in a row, and it’s just so tough to do that when you run into anyone who is just careering it in one round.”

Spieth had to go 19 holes in his second-round match and he was a 1-up winner in both his quarterfinal and semifinal matches.

Hwang, a 16-year-old who has been playing golf for only five years, couldn’t catch a break with his putter.

“I missed a couple of short putts and I don’t think he missed any putts inside 10 feet,” Hwang said.

Anderson was 2 up after the morning round and she took control winning three of the first four holes in the afternoon. Putting was the difference.

Anderson made a 10-footer at No. 2 to halve the hole, sank a 12-foot birdie at No. 3 and then won No. 4 when Kim three-putted from 8 feet. She also halved the fifth, seventh and ninth holes with par-saving putts.

By that point, Anderson was 6-up and cruising.

“I felt good about my swing,” Anderson said. “I felt good about my putting. I mean, unless I completely lost it, I felt like I had a really good chance, and I was playing very well.”

Anderson just smiled as she left a 20-foot birdie putt on the edge of the 13th hole to close out her match with Kim, who in 2006 become the youngest women to capture the U.S. Women’s Amateur.

Kim, who was competing in her fourth USGA final, was trying to become the first player to win the junior amateur after winning the Amateur.

“She played like consistent but I wasn’t really paying attention because I played so bad,” said Kim, who also lost the USGA Women’s Amateur Public Links final earlier this year.

Back