2011 AT&T National [SPOILERS]

As per Stephanie Wei

@StephanieWei
Reason for low(er) scores: greens were hosed down last night. Lame. Enjoy when players really have to execute sometimes

Hope rickie holds on

I tapatalk better then I golfatalk

Fowler does absolutely look like a smurf, but if he can hit it well it doesnt much matter

Tap tap taparoo

Any chance for a photo of him in his PJ's buying some cereal at the local grocery? :D joking.

I had to look at this twice. I could have sworn it was Jake posting. hahaha

i'm cool with guys firing low today..the us open is the only time where i get upset when guys are going low (well actually that's a little fib. i'm not a fan of when scores are real low across the board at any major. to me the majors are to be the hardest of the hardest tests in golf. wheneverybody tears up those courses at those times, i feel cheated...even augusta, which is designed for guys to score, to have a guy chip in for bird, hole out for eagle then bird four straight to win out [while everyone else is birdieing everything], to me it just cheapens the idea of it being a "major championship")

however, dudes going low at the at&t, i got no problem with. it's the at&t, it's july 4th weekend. who cares. just how i feel about it

I really do find this to be one of the least interesting tournaments I have seen in a couple of years.
I want to have interest in it. Its my job and we have THP on site, but I just can't.

I know what you mean JB, could it be the lack of anybody anywhere near the top of the world rankings being there?

To me the only compelling thing is to see if Fowler can hold on and get his first win.

I know what you mean JB, could it be the lack of anybody anywhere near the top of the world rankings being there?

To me the only compelling thing is to see if Fowler can hold on and get his first win.

Im not sure TBT.
I mean we have Fowler and Watney up there. In fact with as average as this field is, the leaderboard is not too bad. Maybe its the course, which although pretty is just not memorable for me, maybe its the field, maybe its the entire package. I wish I had an answer, because I want it to be engaging, but it just isnt for me.

Im not sure TBT.
I mean we have Fowler and Watney up there. In fact with as average as this field is, the leaderboard is not too bad. Maybe its the course, which although pretty is just not memorable for me, maybe its the field, maybe its the entire package. I wish I had an answer, because I want it to be engaging, but it just isnt for me.

I'm the exact same way, I made time this afternoon to watch some of this golf, and then just ended up going outside and gardening for a while! You know I'm not interested in a golf tournament when I choose gardening over the couch.

I have to agree with JB on this one. I think I watched a total of 45 minutes of the whole tournament. I think the pictures and comments we are getting from the course on the forum are more interesting.

Im not sure TBT.

It doesn't help that none of the top 10 players in the world are in this field. However, I think that this tournament is all about Rickie Fowler at this point. He's the guy that all of the experts have been talking about for a while and saying "when he wins, he'll win a lot." Well, he still needs to win the first one, and this is as good of an opportunity as he has had except for leading going into the final round at the Memorial last year.

Other compelling stories are Nick Watney and KJ Choi, also in the final threesome, going for their second wins of the year, and Steve Marino (JB's boy) and Webb Simpson in the next-to-last threesome, both going for their first wins on Tour after coming really close earlier this year (Marino at the Sony tournament in Hawaii, Simpson in New Orleans).

Im not sure TBT.

Yeah I know what you mean, the course looks great, but nothing jumps out....maybe the lack of any signatue type holes...no bear trap or snake pit or island green...in fact until the announcers say something I can't tell where on the course anybody is.....it all looks pretty tame to be honest.

It doesn't help that none of the top 10 players in the world are in this field. However, I think that this tournament is all about Rickie Fowler at this point. He's the guy that all of the experts have been talking about for a while and saying "when he wins, he'll win a lot." Well, he still needs to win the first one, and this is as good of an opportunity as he has had except for leading going into the final round at the Memorial last year.

Other compelling stories are Nick Watney and KJ Choi, also in the final threesome, going for their second wins of the year, and Steve Marino (JB's boy) and Webb Simpson in the next-to-last threesome, both going for their first wins on Tour after coming really close earlier this year (Marino at the Sony tournament in Hawaii, Simpson in New Orleans).

My boy? Why? Because I said he will win this year? I dont root for golfers, I root for stories.
Im not sure I agree about the Fowler thing. I think going into this year, or last year I would have agreed, but if Watney goes real low, we have another multiple win guy. Another fairly young talent that many think are truly the future of this game.
Fowler is a big one here, but I dont think he is the only story.

I think its a combo of a crappy field with a relatively unknown course. Popular players + popular courses make enticing events.

Bieber Smurf better start putting his foot on the gas. +2 through 2 is not going to cut it as other guys are scoring.

I have to agree with JB on this one. I think I watched a total of 45 minutes of the whole tournament. I think the pictures and comments we are getting from the course on the forum are more interesting.

Amen to that. The forum posts are all I've seen of this tournament aside from some highlights on sportscenter.. Just not interesting

Tap tap taparoo

Bieber Smurf better start putting his foot on the gas. +2 through 2 is not going to cut it as other guys are scoring.

Doesn't look like he's gonna do it. Already 5 back now...

Why are we seeing "recorded earlier" coverage? I hate delayed coverage. Time to go mulch the yard.

Tapatalk: Team Hackers Approved

Why are we seeing "recorded earlier" coverage? I hate delayed coverage. Time to go mulch the yard.

They made every group a threesome and moved the tee times forward due to weather thats coming through later this afternoon.

LETS GO OVERTON!

Sky is grey and overcast there. Come to think if it the sky is gray and overcast here. The crowd seems to be as much milling around waiting for something to happen as actually watching what is happening. Maybe I am thankful that there is some Rickie drama. I am not sure I could muster any interest at all.

for those that have commented about the course, it does seem to look on TV more like some place that I would play than what I am used to. So, it isn't awe inspiring at least not on TV. Heck I probably need to get out on the bike and burn off some calories anyway.

Looks like Steve Williams might actually make some money this week though! :act-up:

A good Sunday performance might help our impression of Rickie as a golfer. I am not sure I would want Choi on my butt when I was trying to win my first, let alone in the same group with me. That guy seems like water on rock....just wears away at you. I think there is a pretty good chance that if Rickie wins it he will have earned it.

I know so frickin stupid considering on Golf Central thet had just showed us the leader board that reflected the entire first hour and 30 minutes of the "recorded earlier" coverage, I don't get it!!

So today we have Ian Baker Finch, and Sir Nick Faldo. Shouldn't one English accent be enough? In my opinion its 25% knowledge and 75% accent with these guys. I'm actually missing Johnny Miller today.

This just in: Lee Westwood Rickie Fowler took Sunday off again.

That sucks too, I would have liked to have seen him win.

Back