2011 Cobra S3 Irons Preview

Aren't there rules within the club manufacturing industry to keep from blantantly copying another company's design? I know that is how it works in my industry and I am sure others. If so has either company taken any legal action? I am guessing JB would be the best to answer this question due to the industry knowledge and connection he has.

Aren't there rules within the club manufacturing industry to keep from blantantly copying another company's design? I know that is how it works in my industry and I am sure others. If so has either company taken any legal action? I am guessing JB would be the best to answer this question due to the industry knowledge and connection he has.

If it were me, and I had a great design idea, I would sue the hell out of a company that infringed upon my copyrights. Hopefully JB can give us a professional opinion whether or not Cobra has crossed that boundry?

either way I'm looking forward to hitting them. I'm interested to see how they feel.

Tell scotty cameron that.

I mean, is this really set down in stone? I mean, if you have a good idea that you think is revolutionary, copyright it. If someone breaks that copyright, sue them.

Yeah, and like I said, if they want to capitalize on going "black" then do so in your own way. Cleveland came out with the CG7's in BP (black pearl), Callaway comes out with the X24 with a PVD finish, then Taylormade comes out with the Burner 2.0's with a two tone'd PVD/Stainless finish. The latter being genius b/c they used that finish to make the top line appear thinner and the club face perfectly frames a golf ball. All of those, imo, are trend setters. This offering from Cobra: complete highway robbery. Until they can think outside the box and set their own trends, they'll never be able to compete with the big boys. Nice try Cobra, but you're gonna have to do a lot more that plagerize to get this guys business.

I'm sorry Ole Gray, I know this is gonna get you rialed up and it's not a personal attack, just my opinion.

But the Cobra irons might be TOTALLY different then the Burners. Just because it comes from a non "big boy," brand, doesn't mean it won't be able to compete with the Burners. To me Cobra is a VERY RESPECTABLE company, and when looking to buy a club, I try their stuff as much as anyone elses. Why would you not. Maybe the cobra's will work MUCH BETTER then the Burners for some people. That's why there are different options in clubs. For different people. If every club from one company worked for everyone, then their would be no competition.

That should be what matters in the end, how the clubs feel in each person's hands.

Thank you WR. And Just because the TM Burner 2.0's were released before the cobra's doesn't mean that it was their ideas in the 1st place. Maybe cobra did extra testing and it was their idea in the beginning but took them a little longer to get to market, we will never know.

Who really cares? The market is shifting to black in irons and they are changing with the market. Its not their fault that Taylormade influences that market so heavily.

Its not like they went with a white driver or anything.

Who really cares? The market is shifting to black in irons and they are changing with the market. Its not their fault that Taylormade influences that market so heavily.

Oh wait. Guess who came out with the White Driver 1st. That's right, it was cobra. I guess TM is now a non-respectable stealing company! lol

No one knows for sure who came out with the White Driver first! That is strickly up to personal opinion. If TM came up with it first, then why not sue Cobra?

No one knows for sure who came out with the White Driver first! That is strickly up to personal opinion. If TM came up with it first, then why not sue Cobra?

I wont get into the idea of what these irons look like or if it is a copy design or not. But the white driver was NOT a TM first design. Not even close. But I dont think its a stretch to realize why a limited edition white driver came by Cobra of a year old driver when it was released and why it was released.

Maybe Cobra should pull their entire line of TaylorMade look alike Drivers & irons off the market and create a total different look?

I wont get into the idea of what these irons look like or if it is a copy design or not. But the white driver was NOT a TM first design. Not even close. But I dont think its a stretch to realize why a limited edition white driver came by Cobra of a year old driver when it was released and why it was released.

Oh wait. Guess who came out with the White Driver 1st. That's right, it was cobra. I guess TM is now a non-respectable stealing company! lol

THERE IT IS! lol

Maybe Cobra should pull their entire line of TaylorMade look alike Drivers & irons off the market and create a total different look?

But thats the thing. Cobra didn't create a "look alike driver." TM created a "look alike driver."

THERE IT IS! lol

It wasnt a Cobra first either Clay. Its not a real stretch to know why Cobra released it. I mean it was a year old driver that was released in limited edition for what many consider to be the wrong reasons. But its their reasons and if they wanted to do it for those reasons, all the power to them.

JB I respect you not wanting to comment on copy design or not. But doesn't the golf club manufacturing industry work like just about every other industry with respect to copyright infrigement or plagerism in the area of writing?

It depends on copyrights of designs and patents.

It wasnt a Cobra first either Clay. Its not a real stretch to know why Cobra released it. I mean it was a year old driver that was released in limited edition for what many consider to be the wrong reasons. But its their reasons and if they wanted to do it for those reasons, all the power to them.

I understand that, I'm just saying that just because a company releases something 1st, doesn't mean it was their idea in the 1st place. I think if Cobra makes that Driver white at a better price, they would have sold a ton.

I understand that, I'm just saying that just because a company releases something 1st, doesn't mean it was their idea in the 1st place. I think if Cobra makes that Driver white at a better price, they would have sold a ton.

But you have to understand the reasons it was released. Or at least why most think it was released. It wasnt a new driver. It was ALL about timing.

Neither brand were first to bring a white driver to market.

But you have to understand the reasons it was released. Or at least why most think it was released. It wasnt a new driver. It was ALL about timing.

Neither brand were first to bring a white driver to market.

You think that is was to take the air out of the R11 being white?

I guess it comes down to why knock a particular brand for making a very good looking product that although looks similar to an opposing product, was at best produced during the same time period. I mean how many months do you think it was between TM production and Cobra production of a similar product?

Back