2011 Cobra S3 Irons Preview

I agree, its pretty damn close.

Yeah, and like I said, if they want to capitalize on going "black" then do so in your own way. Cleveland came out with the CG7's in BP (black pearl), Callaway comes out with the X24 with a PVD finish, then Taylormade comes out with the Burner 2.0's with a two tone'd PVD/Stainless finish. The latter being genius b/c they used that finish to make the top line appear thinner and the club face perfectly frames a golf ball. All of those, imo, are trend setters. This offering from Cobra: complete highway robbery. Until they can think outside the box and set their own trends, they'll never be able to compete with the big boys. Nice try Cobra, but you're gonna have to do a lot more that plagerize to get this guys business.

I'm sorry Ole Gray, I know this is gonna get you rialed up and it's not a personal attack, just my opinion.

Yeah, and like I said, if they want to capitalize on going "black" then do so in your own way. Cleveland came out with the CG7's in BP (black pearl), Callaway comes out with the X24 with a PVD finish, then Taylormade comes out with the Burner 2.0's with a two tone'd PVD/Stainless finish. The latter being genius b/c they used that finish to make the top line appear thinner and the club face perfectly frames a golf ball. All of those, imo, are trend setters. This offering from Cobra: complete highway robbery. Until they can think outside the box and set their own trends, they'll never be able to compete with the big boys. Nice try Cobra, but you're gonna have to do a lot more that plagerize to get this guys business.

I'm sorry Ole Gray, I know this is gonna get you rialed up and it's not a personal attack, just my opinion.

I agree with this statement. Just because you look like a Burner 2.0 doesnt mean you hit like one though. I bet these cant hold a candle to the feel and distance of the Burners.

the other funny part is that Burner did the circle on the back. Cobra has the S3 in a circle.

I agree with this statement. Just because you look like a Burner 2.0 doesnt mean you hit like one though. I bet these cant hold a candle to the feel and distance of the Burners.

the other funny part is that Burner did the circle on the back. Cobra has the S3 in a circle.

It's a shame to me, b/c they are in a position to do something great, but emulating won't get it done, go out and truly innovate (technologically, aesthetically) I don't care, just don't spit something out that screams "knock off".

I think they look similar, but I am wondering when they were designed. To play devils advocate here. Just because the Burners were release a few months earlier doesn't mean they were designed first. Look at the Scotty Cameron knock off of the NC Gambler. We know the Gambler was designed first, but the Scotty was released first.

I'm not disagreeing, my first comment on them is that they resembled the burners.

I think they look similar, but I am wondering when they were designed. To play devils advocate here. Just because the Burners were release a few months earlier doesn't mean they were designed first. Look at the Scotty Cameron knock off of the NC Gambler. We know the Gambler was designed first, but the Scotty was released first.

I'm not disagreeing, my first comment on them is that they resembled the burners.

good points for sure, I hear what your saying and I do kind of agree with you.

great post TC....following your timeline, it's almost like TM waited to see what reaction would be for a darker finish and voila! they made it better than the others did!

Right, just like how they came out with the "ghosted" ZL driver, it certainly made an appearance before the R11. Nothing wrong w/playing devil's advocate, but you're much smarter than that.

Well, they certainly do look VERY similar. Now owning the S3s thanks to THP and Cobra, selfishly I hope they hold up performance wise too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Well, they certainly do look VERY similar. Now owning the S3s thanks to THP and Cobra, selfishly I hope they hold up performance wise too.

I hope they do as well g4l! I'm glad you have them and can give us some feedback, that's for sure.

I hope they do as well g4l! I'm glad you have them and can give us some feedback, that's for sure.

And honest feedback seeing his whole bag isnt loaded up with Cobra stuff already. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on these G4L

I hope they do too buddy! I am happy for you for sure

And honest feedback seeing his whole bag isnt loaded up with Cobra stuff already. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on these G4L

true that playa'! I'm pumped he won them, and they look awesome, trust me, I love the look of my 2.0's, I'm merely stating that they knocked off a design, almost completely.

you are going to be a busy busy man testing irons in the near future my friend. I like how you went with a custom shaft option too on these.

you are going to be a busy busy man testing irons in the near future my friend. I like how you went with a custom shaft option too on these.

Busy indeed! Testing will definitely be focused on the TM sticks, but having a set of GI cast irons to compare and contrast with might be useful

Busy indeed! Testing will definitely be focused on the TM sticks, but having a set of GI cast irons to compare and contrast with might be useful

yeah you will have quite the setup. You can test the TM forged vs Cobra S3 and R7's

Ole Gray, I made a poster just for you:

1164261857_EyH2u-L.jpg

It's ok you guys have your own opinion and rightfully so. They do look like the Burner 2.0's and maybe Cobra screwed up doing the clone thing. That's all I got to say about it. Happy for ya

I don't think I have ever made a negative post against any golf brand or product. Not necessarily a bad thing however I just don't see the good out of doing so. I have no problem with those that choose to compare different products and make their own opinions. I honestly believe that is good for this forum and for golf in general. I do wonder why negative stuff is hammered at certain brands who are trying to hang in the golf market. I have always been of the opinion that imitation is the ulitmate form of flattery. I fully agree that Cobra should not have designed their irons to mirror, as you said, the Burner 2.0 irons. Probaly a crappy idea out of the gate but surely they will learn a good lesson from this. Congrats to TaylorMade for a superior product and shame on Cobra Golf for duplicating such a beautiful product.

Does anyone here really know which company came up with the idea/look of the club first? It very well could of been that TM copied Cobra.

I think (like with cars, and putters), we may have run into a situation where there are only so many designs that can fit on the back of a club. After awhile, they all just start looking the same.

Does anyone here really know which company came up with the idea/look of the club first? It very well could of been that TM copied Cobra.

Nobody knows and I don't think it really matters WR. Folks will think what they will and they have that right.

Nobody knows and I don't think it really matters WR. Folks will think what they will and they have that right.

Of course they do Grey I would never say a person is not allowed to express an opinion on here. That is what makes this place what it is.

I think (like with cars, and putters), we may have run into a situation where there are only so many designs that can fit on the back of a club. After awhile, they all just start looking the same.

Yep but some folks think they are being copycats and that is supposedly a huge NONO in the golf industry. I would think let them duplicate the other companies product and let the comsumer choose what the best product is regardless of what it looks like. Golfers who are brand loyal could care less if one company duplicates another company and surely the one that is being "copied" would not lose their loyal customers.

Last edited:
Back