2012 Project X PXi Iron Shafts

Please don't say that, Chunky. I was just struggling T decide between KBSTs I already have in my i20s and CFS:at-wits-end:

I put these up against the stock CFS in the i20's last night. Night and day difference for me and I much preferred the PXi. Higher ballflight and more distance. Better feel as well. This might be my new shaft over the KBS

Need some help or ideas. Thinking of putting PXI shafts in new Titleist 712 Ap2 irons. Have used the DG SL R300 in my old 710 irons and like them. I played the old PX 5.5 several years ago, but age catches up with us all and went to lighweight steel. Was fitted and hoped to get the KBS Tour 90 shaft but not available through Titleist, so went with the DG Sl. Like the ball flight of the shafts but you cannot jump on them. Hard swings produce big hooks. If I stay within my normal swing speed which is mid to upper 80's, all is fine. Anyway thoughts on which project X PXi shaft flex to go with. One box store said that I should go with 6.0, another suggested 5.5, another said 5.0 so am completely confused. All three suggested DG Sl S300 though

Need some help or ideas. Thinking of putting PXI shafts in new Titleist 712 Ap2 irons. Have used the DG SL R300 in my old 710 irons and like them. I played the old PX 5.5 several years ago, but age catches up with us all and went to lighweight steel. Was fitted and hoped to get the KBS Tour 90 shaft but not available through Titleist, so went with the DG Sl. Like the ball flight of the shafts but you cannot jump on them. Hard swings produce big hooks. If I stay within my normal swing speed which is mid to upper 80's, all is fine. Anyway thoughts on which project X PXi shaft flex to go with. One box store said that I should go with 6.0, another suggested 5.5, another said 5.0 so am completely confused. All three suggested DG Sl S300 though

You're not the only one that has seen conflicting info and wonders which flex to get. I have a 6 iron speed in a similar range and I think I'd go with 5.5 in the PX line. Should be plenty stiff. I believe the 5.5 has a higher frequency than the S300's, but the characteristics will be different of course.

You're not the only one that has seen conflicting info and wonders which flex to get. I have a 6 iron speed in a similar range and I think I'd go with 5.5 in the PX line. Should be plenty stiff. I believe the 5.5 has a higher frequency than the S300's, but the characteristics will be different of course.

thanks, that is where I was leaning, but the box store fitters had me all over the place. Really appreciate fellow golfers look out for each other. I play the PX 5.5 graphite shafts in my woods and really like that shaft. I wanted to get the PX graphite in my irons but not available through Titleist. Some manufacturers do put them in the clubs but am pretty much a Titleist iron player. Again thanks.

thanks, that is where I was leaning, but the box store fitters had me all over the place. Really appreciate fellow golfers look out for each other. I play the PX 5.5 graphite shafts in my woods and really like that shaft. I wanted to get the PX graphite in my irons but not available through Titleist. Some manufacturers do put them in the clubs but am pretty much a Titleist iron player. Again thanks.

You might try the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer if it's available to you. Everybody really has had good things to say about it.

I figure these will be my irons shafts in the 588's if they are available. 5.5's and I'm hoping the slightly lighter weight gives me 2-3 mph more swing speed than I'm seeing with the S300's, but with similar dispersion.

The one box store that recommended the 5.5 used the shaft optimizer.
Did some extensive research on the shaft and found several articles that talk about soft and hard stepping the shaft. Any thoughts on that as that service is available from Titleist?

Can I ask why you would want to soft/hard step anything? If I'm reading correctly you were fit into the 5.5 right? Why not just go with that?

Any more reviews?

Today was a great day with the PXi's. Worked a lot lately on setup and hitting the ball properly and it clicked this weekend. My ball flight jumped significantly after a few minor tweaks. I would even say I am seeing higher ball flight than KBS. I'm not ready to say I like the feel of these over the KBS but I do really like the feel. Really nice high flight though and it's zero ballooning as I practiced in quite a bit of wind. I'm liking these more and more

Just got the AP2s with PX PXi 5.5 shaft. Look great. Same satin finish as old PX shafts. Hit a few balls with them on the range but the winds were up so no real outcomes yet. I do think they feel slightly heavier than the DG SL that I had before. But they feel solid and am planning to go to the course today and give them a work out.

Just got the AP2s with PX PXi 5.5 shaft. Look great. Same satin finish as old PX shafts. Hit a few balls with them on the range but the winds were up so no real outcomes yet. I do think they feel slightly heavier than the DG SL that I had before. But they feel solid and am planning to go to the course today and give them a work out.

I would love to hear your feedback after today's practice.

I gave them about a good 1/2 hour on the range before hitting the course. Higher ball flight than I expected but about 1/2-1 club more distance on a no wind day than with my old DG SL shafts. Am used to playing in somewhat windy conditions, so will see what that translates to under "normal" conditions. Was able to hit punch shots with a lot lower ball flight as well. But though the ball got up, it seemed to have a real boring ball flight. No ballooning with carry. Not a lot of run out after the ball landed either. SO far I would have to say that I really like them. I seem to have picked up some distance with them. But it is early and am still getting them dialed in Big test will be this week end when I am playing a tougher course.

Nice writeup star. I also have noticed that keeping the ball low has been pretty easy with these shafts. Have you noticed a higher ball flight when you really go after one?

Well, I really liked the PX Flighted over the weekend. Probably my favorite shaft I used. I am strongly considering these to grab a couple mph more swing speed.

Well, I really liked the PX Flighted over the weekend. Probably my favorite shaft I used. I am strongly considering these to grab a couple mph more swing speed.

I like it my friend. I won't lie, these are still burning up my brain. Can you imagine how these look in some 588 CB's?

I like it my friend. I won't lie, these are still burning up my brain. Can you imagine how these look in some 588 CB's?

I think that would be solid combo.

Amazing is how they'll look. I hit the ball with a nice and high trajectory with the flighted, but still had a pretty tight ball flight. I didn't feel like I had to hammer at the ball either, which wasn't the case for a couple other shafts I tried out. I personally thought the flighted felt great in the irons I hit them in (J40 CBs), so I suspect that they'll be just as good in the 588's.

Amazing is how they'll look. I hit the ball with a nice and high trajectory with the flighted, but still had a pretty tight ball flight. I didn't feel like I had to hammer at the ball either, which wasn't the case for a couple other shafts I tried out. I personally thought the flighted felt great in the irons I hit them in (J40 CBs), so I suspect that they'll be just as good in the 588's.

I sure do like your ponder buddy.

Project X PXI Anyone have experiance?

Project X PXI Anyone have experiance?

I am so interested in these shafts, I was just wondering if anyone has experiance with them yet? I know they are very new, but I think they are going to be one hot shaft. As soon as I can I am going to put these in my irons.

i can remember a few guys on here have them, i believe TC has em in his irons...

I am so interested in these shafts, I was just wondering if anyone has experiance with them yet? I know they are very new, but I think they are going to be one hot shaft. As soon as I can I am going to put these in my irons.
I believe TC has them in his Cleveland 588s.

Chunkylover has them in his i20's. He's left some feedback throughout this thread I think

yes, they are pretty fantastic, lighter weight shaft with all the performance of Project X

Like the others have mentioned, I have the PXi 6.0's in my 588 CB irons. Now, I've only had them for about a week so I don't have a whole lot of time under my belt with them. I chose them for a couple of reasons though. First off, the weight. I was fit for KBS tours in Xstiff with the PX 6.0 non flighted cominng in second place. I had a set of irons with the KBS T's in them and truthfully, as much as I like them, I hated having a 130g iron shaft. Way to tough for me to utilize when I got tired or lazy.

The PXi's offer the performance that Project X shafts have provided but in a light weight package. The 6.0's are 112 grams which is right around what I prefer.

Here's what I can tell you based on my limited time with them: they are very responsive. They work well with an aggressive move and can be effective if you need to hit those 'touch' type shots. They feel great to me. Very smooth and not harsh. Some may disagree but it is what it is. Lastly, they look fantastic in my irons.

Here's a couple of pics for you

DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

DSC_0408.jpg

Nice pix TC. I don't have the urge to be a southpaw very often but I would love to take a rip with those beauties. How do you think they compare as far as feel goes to the KBS tours and what kind of ball flight are you seeing?

Back