2012 Project X PXi Iron Shafts

It's intriguing to me as well. I like the PX flighted I have in them now, and it will be interesting to see what happens when I go from the 115g in the PX flighted to the 102g in the Tour 90. Depending on the differences I see, the Pxi being at 108g could be a happy medium. But then again, I could be overthinking it.

Personally I love the PXi and I was wary of going from the heavier KBS Tours down to the PXi. Now that I've swung the KBS Tours again, I have to say that I really notice the heavier weight.

Hmm..if I order an i20 3 iron to add to my set, I wonder if I should go with PXi or continue on with my C Tapers?

wow I love the graphics on these shafts, way better than previous project x shafts!

I have had the PXi 5.5 shafts in my 912 irons for a about a month and so will try to give my preceptions of the shaft. They do play stout! Have had to ramp up my swing speed a bit to get the performance out of them. Usually windy where I live and the course is open, and the ball flight compared to my older DGSL shafts is higher on a normal swing. And that is not always the best in the wind, so working on keeping the ball flight lower. You can hit these irons with a "stinger swing" and that really bores through the wind.

Typically I would say a 1/2 to a club longer than my older DG shafts on still day which does not happen around here often so when it does, we all hit the course. On a windy day, with a normal swing, just the opposite is true. About a 1/2 to full club length shorter due to the higher ball flight. So as I said really working on keeping that ball flight lower.

A friend of mine said that I should look at changing the swingweight from a D2 to a D0 and that would help lower the ball flight as well. I really don't know what that all entails so if somebody can share that information I would appreciate it. His belief is that a lighter shaft should be matched with a lower swing weight to get the most out of the shaft. I know this at the time of my ordering and so ordered them in D2 which is pretty much standard I gather.

Although not completely sold on them yet as have not had them a long time, they are moving me over. I think it is a great shaft and they do look bitchin' for sure.

Ok I have a quick question, I'm currently working on getting my burner irons re-shafted with project X shafts and I just don't know what tips I should use-i'm new to club building and the club builder I'm going to told me to buy them online and I don't what size to get, is there only one size (.355?) I believe the my irons are a .370 and I don't know what I should use in my irons, any ideas?

Ok I have a quick question, I'm currently working on getting my burner irons re-shafted with project X shafts and I just don't know what tips I should use-i'm new to club building and the club builder I'm going to told me to buy them online and I don't what size to get, is there only one size (.355?) I believe the my irons are a .370 and I don't know what I should use in my irons, any ideas?

I'm kinda interested in hearing the answer to this one as well

They come in both .355 and .370. You will need to buy them to match your irons, which do appear to be .370. Might want to verify that to be 100% though.

They come in both .355 and .370. You will need to buy them to match your irons, which do appear to be .370. Might want to verify that to be 100% though.
Awesome I assume it's .370 since most of the non tp models that taylormade like the rbz are .370 dang it's just as expensive to buy new shafts as it is to buy a used set of burners with the shafts on them already

Awesome I assume it's .370 since most of the non tp models that taylormade like the rbz are .370 dang it's just as expensive to buy new shafts as it is to buy a used set of burners with the shafts on them already

Sucks, doesn't it? I thought the $25/club upcharge for the C Tapers in my i20's sucked, until I looked at the cost of the raw shafts...

Sucks, doesn't it? I thought the $25/club upcharge for the C Tapers in my i20's sucked, until I looked at the cost of the raw shafts...

Now I wish I would have done that haha, well I'll be looking out for a used set

Does anyone know how these compare the original project x shaft in terms of ball flight and stiffness?

I think that question is addressed quite a bit if you read through the thread.

Does anyone know how these compare the original project x shaft in terms of ball flight and stiffness?

According to Royal Precision, the PXi shafts are supposed to play almost identically to the PX shafts that preceeded them. The only difference is the lighter weight and a softer section in the butt end in order to create a softer feel in the hands of the user.

IMO the ball flight with the PXi is higher than the OG PX. I think the stiffness is the same.

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to try to find one of these to hit tomorrow. If I do, I'll definitely bring what I thought back here. I do like how the lowercase i looks next to the uppercase X in the name, that's for sure. I hope I like swinging these as much as I like looking at the name of them. Lol.

Logically the 5.5's sound right for me, but the PX shaft fitting tool keeps telling me 6.0. So confusing!

Logically the 5.5's sound right for me, but the PX shaft fitting tool keeps telling me 6.0. So confusing!

The 5.5's are a true Stiff flex. The 6.0's are a S+ flex. I had my 6.0's soft stepped once.

The 5.5's are a true Stiff flex. The 6.0's are a S+ flex. I had my 6.0's soft stepped once.

Good lord, you are a beast!

As copied from the outreaches of Gore invented space....

Features:

• Provides greater distance by virtue of reduced weight properties.
  • Tour caliber spin control and tip stability in a lightweight package – hallmarks of the Project X franchise.
  • Improved feel through optimized butt to tip stiffness calibration
  • .355” tapered tip diameter
tt0085specs.jpg

I really like these and can say the feel (for me as we all know everyone's "feel" is different) is just phenomenal. They can help you put a variety of flights on the ball and when you really get after it, will put a flight launch that you almost need to get approval for. Yet you will notice, or should say I, that it is a very penetrating flight and with hitting that shot in some head wind, didn't balloon at all. YMMV. With a normal or maybe 3/4 swing, I can't help but smile. I also expected that when I did get into the ground too much I would pay for it, not the case either. Oh, don't get me wrong, it doesn't feel good, but doesn't resinate through the body like I thought it might.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread of Oldonia, just thought it would be better to keep things grouped together.

I've installed one of these puppies into a Nike Pro Combo and spent a decent bit of time with it so far and I have to say I'm extremely impressed. Excellent flight to the shaft that's easy to move up or down as one wishes, not an overly spinny shaft, and most importantly for me, doesn't feel like a standard or flighted PX. That giant slug of weight under your hands is gone and makes for a very smoooooth feeling shaft. For someone who gets great numbers but doesn't like the feel, these are a great way to go.

The one thing I will caution about them is try the flex out before you commit. I say this, because unlike standard PX's, I find that tha PXi does great for those with smooth swings just as much as those who swing aggressively, as long as you flex it correctly. A guy with a smooth swing and a soft transition can still get a lot of milage from these but will have to drop a flex. Take my numbers for example. I swing 89mph with a 6iron, have a late release so require some stiffness in the tip, but have a wicked slow transition. Best results from PXi's? 5.0 which is a R+. Don't be afraid to monkey with your flex going from shaft to shaft to get the right fit.

All in all, I'm really quite impressed with them. Good feel, nice weight that's just lighter enough over something like a DG that it makes a difference to how you feel at the end of a round, solid mid flight and good spin rates.
I've always been iffy on PX's just because I couldn't get past the feel to even look at the numers. Issue sorted here.

They've actually made me look at the rest of the new PX line a little harder lately as well. Have to say, big fan of the Black line so far but I need more time with them.

I got fitted for some MP H4s today. Mizuno shaft analyzer recommended DG x100 or pxi 6.5. From what I read the 6.5 is for tour players, not me. SS was 95ish with 6i. Any thoughts on here? Should I go with the pxi. They felt nice. I'm a 13 hcp who doesn't play as much as I should but am trying to nicely upgrade the equipment.

Heck ya you should. The shaft analyzer is usually a pretty good tool. I swing at about 84 mph with a 6I and I have the 6.0's softstepped once. I could probably drop down to a 5.5 or even a 5.0 but I seem to be hitting the ones I have well. Great feeling shaft

I got fitted for some MP H4s today. Mizuno shaft analyzer recommended DG x100 or pxi 6.5. From what I read the 6.5 is for tour players, not me. SS was 95ish with 6i. Any thoughts on here? Should I go with the pxi. They felt nice. I'm a 13 hcp who doesn't play as much as I should but am trying to nicely upgrade the equipment.

6.5 isn't just for tour players, flex is based on swing speed and tempo. Perhaps there are a lot of tour players playing 6.5 flex because it's pretty stiff, but it's not only for tour players. You have a very fast swing speed for a 6 iron, so I can see X100 or PXi 6.5 working with that swing speed. Did you get to hit both shafts or just the PXi?

Excuse my ignorance but what is softstepping?

Back