2012 Project X PXi Iron Shafts

I went with the 6.5 at first, but had to work too hard (6/93). Have the 5.5's now and really like them and can just relax and let it work (don't swing that fast anymore though as well).

6.5 isn't just for tour players, flex is based on swing speed and tempo. Perhaps there are a lot of tour players playing 6.5 flex because it's pretty stiff, but it's not only for tour players. You have a very fast swing speed for a 6 iron, so I can see X100 or PXi 6.5 working with that swing speed. Did you get to hit both shafts or just the PXi?

I hit the x100 as well. The pxi felt better. I am just concerned I was just mashing it in the cage if you know what I mean. On the course I may not always swing that hard. Any draw back to getting the 6.5 in that case?

I hit the x100 as well. The pxi felt better. I am just concerned I was just mashing it in the cage if you know what I mean. On the course I may not always swing that hard. Any draw back to getting the 6.5 in that case?

If I wasn't working at it (higher SS), would usually leave a fade, doesn't happen with the 5.5's.

Guys, I have gone through all 25 1/2 pages and the feedback is awesome. Given everyone has now had the chance to get plenty of game time under the belt with the PXi's please can you provide some commentary on the following:

1. All things being equal (club head etc.) which launches higher - KBS Tour or PXi
2. Which spins more - KBS Tour or PXi
3. Will softstepping a PXi 6.0 have a significant impact on launch height (how much higher)?

The reason I ask is that I am currently playing KBS Tour stiff's in a set of Scratch SB1's and love the ball flight I get but sometimes wish that the long irons were a little lighter. I don't really want to hit the ball any higher than I am at the moment. I have a set of Callaway RAZR MuscleBacks on the way and will be pairing them (5-PW) with a 21 and 24 X-Utility Prototype which have PXi 6.0's. My dilemma is whether to change the PXi's in the Utility irons out for KBS tours or put PXi's into the 5-PW. I have also read that the Muscleback's will launch the ball higher than the SB1's, so that is a further worry if the PXi's are higher too.

Any thoughts on this would be most welcome!

Andre

So I finally got to hit these shafts today at Golf Town. I was talking with one of the employees about the new Callaway irons, and he was telling me how much he liked the PXi shafts in the new X Forged. Of course, those irons aren't in the store yet, but he told me that he would grab me a PXi shaft from the Mizuno fitting cart. So he hands me a JPX 825 Pro 6 iron with a PXi 6.0 shaft and tells me to hit some balls.

I will put a disclaimer in here: I didn't like the original Project X shafts at all. Those shafts haven't felt right to me at all in multiple irons that I've tried them in, and to be honest, have soured me on the entire Project X line in the past. However, I decided to hit these anyways to see what they were all about. First of all, I know that they are a little lighter than the KBS Tour Stiff shafts that I normally play, but I didn't notice a weight difference at all. While I thought the original PX shafts were harsh feeling at impact, I thought these shafts were smoother, and the ball came off the clubface with some velocity behind it! I don't think that the JPX 825 Pro head is one of those "only go straight" iron heads, but look at the dispersion, this was the best part:

13+-+3

I'm eager to try these shafts outdoors in the spring when the weather improves up here. For those that didn't like the original Project X shafts, I would encourage you to give these a try because they aren't like those original shafts.

Very nice Ary. These are one of my favorite shafts

That's some great results Ary, the PXi's are for sure fun to play with. Good Luck and enjoy the journey.

Very nice Ary. These are one of my favorite shafts

I read through this thread after my post and saw a lot of posts by you comparing KBS to these shafts. I think that we share a lot of the same thoughts. I really want to hit these outdoors now.

It's encouraging to hear that you like the JPX 825 Pro and PXi combo. I am bout to get some PXi 5.5 shafts put in my 800 Pros. I'll report back.

Amol had me pondering PXi's all night, uh oh.

Good results for Amol!Is your normal ball flight a small draw? Also how did the trajectory look in comparison to the KBS Tour stiff shafts? Which you may not be able to compare with the Mizzuno's

Good results for Amol!Is your normal ball flight a small draw? Also how did the trajectory look in comparison to the KBS Tour stiff shafts? Which you may not be able to compare with the Mizzuno's

Wasn't able to compare them to KBS Tour yesterday so I can't really tell you about ballflight. Normal ballflight is either a small draw or push.

I mentioned it in a different thread yesterday but I took some swings with these shafts in a new Cally X forged head. It was a 6.0 which I thought was too stiff for me. I was hitting it somewhat straight buy distance wasn't there. I think the 5.5 would be the better choice for me. I like the graphics on them. I didn't feel like they were really light weight. Now later in the day I hit the new 95 flighted and certainly could tell a difference there.

I mentioned it in a different thread yesterday but I took some swings with these shafts in a new Cally X forged head. It was a 6.0 which I thought was too stiff for me. I was hitting it somewhat straight buy distance wasn't there. I think the 5.5 would be the better choice for me. I like the graphics on them. I didn't feel like they were really light weight. Now later in the day I hit the new 95 flighted and certainly could tell a difference there.

Do they look like the graphics can be turned down at address?

Do they look like the graphics can be turned down at address?

You know what I never even thought of it. I would think so, but I believe the top part of the shaft has graphics that wrap all the way around. I'll take a better look next time

I can't imagine the 6.5. I'm headed to swing a few clubs today just get this out of my head actually... Thanks for the post DDEC

Yes. The graphics can be turned down. I am actually trying to fdecide if I am going logo up or down right now.

I'm really hoping I can try these in person soon, they sure do intrigue me!

As has been said, graphics can be turned up or down. My i20's are logo down. These are amazing shafts and if they fit your swing I would jump to play them.

As has been said, graphics can be turned up or down. My i20's are logo down. These are amazing shafts and if they fit your swing I would jump to play them.
chunky, I know this is a bit vague, but can you compare these to graphite iron shafts and KBS Tours?

I did the same and was recommended the same. Now to just find them to try out somewhere.
Yeah, finding options to try is tough sometimes!
they are the stock option for the Callaway forged irons this year. i've thought about them in the AMP CEll irons
Thanks for the head's up, I'll check that out!

Back