2012 TOUR Championship Thread (Spoilers)

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
This week is pretty simple: 30 man field, all of them have a shot at winning not only the tournament, but also the Fedex Cup and the $10 million dollars that goes with it. No cut in this event either. The venue is East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta, which is the traditional host for this event, and will play to a par 70 at 7319 yards. Another tradition is that the pairings off of the first tee for at least the first 2 rounds are determined by Fedex Cup rankings, so #1 (Rory McIlroy) and #2 (Tiger Woods) will be paired together, and so on down the line.

TV Times:
Thursday, September 20
1:00 pm - 6:00 pm Golf Channel, Live Coverage
Friday, September 21
1:00 pm - 6:00 pm Golf Channel, Live Coverage
Saturday, September 22
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm Golf Channel
1:30 pm - 2:00 pm NBC, Golf Central Live Pro Game Show
2:00 pm - 6:00 pm NBC, Live Coverage
Sunday, September 23
11:30 am - 1:30 pm Golf Channel
1:00 pm - 1:30 pm NBC, Golf Central Live Pro Game Show
1:30 pm - 6:00 pm NBC, Live Coverage

This should be a fun week of golf with so much on the line along with the Ryder Cup looming 1 week after this event. So does Rory make it 3 wins in a row this week, or does Tiger come out on top and take the Cup along with it? Does someone come from well down in the Fedex Cup standings like Bill Haas last year? Or does one of the other guys that has qualified for the Ryder Cup show that he's on good form by winning the event?

the way rory and tiger have been exchanging blows with each other...i wouldn't be surprised to see the two of them 4-5 strokes ahead of the field by the end of saturday if they both start out hot the first two days...

I think Phil is going to win. He won the Tour Championship once before but didn't win the Fed Ex Cup because Tigger did. Now that Phil's in the top 5, he'll go HAM.

A wee query, if Rory won the Tour Championship, is that enough to wrap up the pga tour money list or there is still a few tourneys left?

I think Phil is going to win. He won the Tour Championship once before but didn't win the Fed Ex Cup because Tigger did. Now that Phil's in the top 5, he'll go HAM.
I'd love to see this!

I think one of the top 5 guys wins the Tour Championship and in the process takes home the FedEx Cup as well. I'll be glued to the coverage, I love seeing this one unfold, always a bunch of drama with not only the Tour Championship but the FedEx title hanging in the balance.

Tiger wins it, he's back.

I cant wait for this. Hopefully more Tiger and Rory showdowns this weekend

It would be nice to see lefty string some positive HAM rounds together. But I fear lung Rory is going to stomp a mud hole in old East Lake.
A wee query, if Rory won the Tour Championship, is that enough to wrap up the pga tour money list or there is still a few tourneys left?
there is the fall series of events after the Tour Champ but not too many of the elite play those events. Tiger might play the Frys but that wouldn't be enough to catch RM, I don't think.

Tiger wins it, he's back.
back to what....his old ways....he's been back just forgot that tournaments are 4 days instead of two.....prior to the last two events.

back to what....his old ways....he's been back just forgot that tournaments are 4 days instead of two.....prior to the last two events.

whatever, he is back. Time to throw the name on that FedEx Cup for the 3rd time.

Rather excited. I want to see a big name shootout.

Also, the prospect of a Euro claiming the money list for the 2nd year running. That's got to sting.

whatever, he is back. Time to throw the name on that FedEx Cup for the 3rd time.

agreed. i can't believe ppl aren't saying he's back b/c he hasn't won a major...he's played phenomenal this year aside from a few tourneys where he didn't close...just b/c ppl expect him to close out every weekend doesn't mean he's not back....

Also, the prospect of a Euro claiming the money list for the 2nd year running. That's got to sting.

lol how's donald doin btw? he took money...no majors...and was a non-factor in the tour championship last year...

I will be there for the 1st Round of this event. I'm so excited. Gonna go and try and follow Rory for at least 1 hole.

Will be volunteering for the Tour Championship Friday - Sunday. Attending on Thursday. Really looking forward to a great tournament.

My greed is pulling for Rory to win but my heart is and always will be with Lee.

Tiger is part american, part thai....no Euro in him haha

This made me laugh. Sting who? Rory's a popular guy. I think nearly everyone is more than happy for him. May the best man win.

agreed. i can't believe ppl aren't saying he's back b/c he hasn't won a major...he's played phenomenal this year aside from a few tourneys where he didn't close...just b/c ppl expect him to close out every weekend doesn't mean he's not back....

lol how's donald doin btw? he took money...no majors...and was a non-factor in the tour championship last year...

See your first post above. Same could be said for the less successful Tiger.....

This made me laugh. Sting who? Rory's a popular guy. I think nearly everyone is more than happy for him. May the best man win.

Oh you'll see them creep out of the woodwork if Rory is in 2nd place on Saturday. It happens a few times a season on here :D

See your first post above. Same could be said for the less successful Tiger.....

my point that tigers got 3 wins this year and is trending up, while donald has been stagnant at best...and even when donald was making all that money...he didn't win a major...

my point that tigers got 3 wins this year and is trending up, while donald has been stagnant at best...and even when donald was making all that money...he didn't win a major...

We were discussing Donald last year, few wins, no major? I'd say vs Tiger this year, there's not really that much in it....unless you're a fan of one or the other. :D

Here are the first round tee times. Players will be repaired after the first round based on their standings in the tournament. All times are Eastern.

11:35 a.m. – John Senden, Scott Piercy

11:45 a.m. – Rickie Fowler, Ryan Moore

11:55 a.m. – Webb Simpson, John Huh

12:05 p.m. – Hunter Mahan, Justin Rose

12:15 p.m. – Adam Scott, Ernie Els

12:25 p.m. – Bo Van Pelt, Robert Garrigus

12:35 p.m. – Carl Pettersson, Jim Furyk

12:45 p.m. – Luke Donald, Matt Kuchar

12:55 p.m. – Steve Stricker, Keegan Bradley

1:05 p.m. – Bubba Watson, Sergio Garcia

1:15 p.m. – Zach Johnson, Jason Dufner

1:25 p.m. – Dustin Johnson, Lee Westwood

1:35 p.m. – Brandt Snedeker, Louis Oosthuizen

1:45 p.m. – Nick Watney, Phil Mickelson

1:55 p.m. – Rory McIlroy, Tiger Woods

I'm not a hater but I have question. If this year is phenomenal what was 2000-2008? That word used describe each of those years.
I agree he's back I was just having a little fun but I'd have to this year was very good.

I'm not a hater but I have question. If this year is phenomenal what was 2000-2008? That word used describe each of those years.
I agree he's back I was just having a little fun but I'd have to this year was very good.

described does not = defined ;)

Back