2012 US Open Contest & Official Thread [Spoilers]

J-Mills just rubs me wrong. I seem to think that he talks of himself as some golf great. When in reality, he isn't. He had one good year. A good round at Oakmont, and a British Open win. He just like to think that he was better than he was. At least to my ears.

J-Mills just rubs me wrong. I seem to think that he talks of himself as some golf great. When in reality, he isn't. He had one good year. A good round at Oakmont, and a British Open win. He just like to think that he was better than he was. At least to my ears.

I dont particularly like him but at least he has done something in the game. What has Chris Berman or Bob Costas ever done? God he annoys me.

At one point during the coverage yesterday, he made the comment that he "heard" someone not compress the ball as much as they needed to with a wedge. If he can hear that from where he was, that's amazing.

I laughed out loud at that. "He didn't compress that wedge perfectly so that's why it came up short." I'd have to be standing within 20 feet of someone to tell if they compressed it or not, and I've got great hearing.

Johnny Miller Has won the same amount of majors as John Daly.

Although to be fair, he did have 25 PGA Tour wins I believe. Then the yips hit him....

I dont particularly like him but at least he has done something in the game. What has Chris Berman or Bob Costas ever done? God he annoys me.

Whoop!

Although to be fair, he did have 25 PGA Tour wins I believe. Then the yips hit him....

Which is pretty impressive but it still doesnt make up for his stupid comments and god like attitude.

I have never understood this line of thinking. Does one have to play the game to gain knowledge on the subject or knowledge in broadcasting? Both of those guys are pioneers in the TV sports industry. And yes, many dislike them and that is their choice. I have just never understood the idea that because one played the game, they are better able to discuss than those who haven't.

One time, Miller used Furyk's age as justification as to why Jim missed a putt. Because yes, 42 year olds miss more putts than the younger guys. I got tired of hearing, "Well, he is 42..........".

Wandering the earth like Kane from Kung Fu, Tapatalking on an iPhone.

Jack Buck, Al Michaels, Howard Cosell, Johnny Most and the list goes on and on and on of broadcasting greats that were great because of their ability to call sports, not based on how they played.

I have never understood this line of thinking. Does one have to play the game to gain knowledge on the subject or knowledge in broadcasting? Both of those guys are pioneers in the TV sports industry. And yes, many dislike them and that is their choice. I have just never understood the idea that because one played the game, they are better able to discuss than those who haven't.

There are plenty of people that I enjoy broadcasting that have never played the sport on any sort of a professional lever. Chris Berman, does not belong calling a golfing event. He doesnt offer any insight whatsoever and Bob Costas just shows up to try to make everything "a moment." It's not just golf, Bob Costas has to do the opening monologue for every big sporting even on NBC and it is so forced it bothers me. Furthermore, I would have no problem if either of them called golf on a consistent basis and not just show up for the big ones. Or any sport for that matter. I prefer to listen to people that are dedicated to that particular sport because they tend to do a better job.

This is what really drives me nuts about him. Coming from a guy who couldn't make a straight uphill 4 footer to save his life at the end of his career everything is so easy up in the booth.

I guess I'm just not bothered much by announcers. Seems like some let them bother them too much.

There are plenty of people that I enjoy broadcasting that have never played the sport on any sort of a professional lever. Chris Berman, does not belong calling a golfing event. He doesnt offer any insight whatsoever and Bob Costas just shows up to try to make everything "a moment." It's not just golf, Bob Costas has to do the opening monologue for every big sporting even on NBC and it is so forced it bothers me.

I agree with the words you type.

There are plenty of people that I enjoy broadcasting that have never played the sport on any sort of a professional lever. Chris Berman, does not belong calling a golfing event. He doesnt offer any insight whatsoever and Bob Costas just shows up to try to make everything "a moment." It's not just golf, Bob Costas has to do the opening monologue for every big sporting even on NBC and it is so forced it bothers me.

I actually think Berman is good for golf. I can see what is going on I don't need someone to tell me about the technical aspect of things. J.Miller was just stupid and I hate watching when he starts talking. Feherty is awesome because he just makes people laugh instead of taking it so seriously.

And something like 25% of those wins came in one season.

Bob Uecker is amazing at play by play. He played the game, poorly, but just had the personality to call a great game. He doesn't get involved with the technical aspect of the game. And that is partly why he is great. The most I can remember him talking about how to play baseball, somebody asked him what the best way to catch a knuckleball is. Bob's response, "Wait for it to stop rolling and pick it up."

Jack Buck, Al Michaels, Howard Cosell, Johnny Most and the list goes on and on and on of broadcasting greats that were great because of their ability to call sports, not based on how they played.

To be fair, JM is supposed to be the color commentator guy while Dan Hicks is supposed to be the play by play. The list above is mostly play by play guys. I agree in the premise though, JM is far from the best color guy in golf.

I actually think Berman is good for golf. I can see what is going on I don't need someone to tell me about the technical aspect of things. J.Miller was just stupid and I hate watching when he starts talking. Feherty is awesome because he just makes people laugh instead of taking it so seriously.

What makes him good for golf? That he can say Whoop! more times than anyone on the face of the earth..haha

I have just never understood the idea that because one played the game, they are better able to discuss than those who haven't.

Emmitt Smith is a prime example in the opposite direction

There are plenty of people that I enjoy broadcasting that have never played the sport on any sort of a professional lever. Chris Berman, does not belong calling a golfing event. He doesnt offer any insight whatsoever and Bob Costas just shows up to try to make everything "a moment." It's not just golf, Bob Costas has to do the opening monologue for every big sporting even on NBC and it is so forced it bothers me. Furthermore, I would have no problem if either of them called golf on a consistent basis and not just show up for the big ones. Or any sport for that matter. I prefer to listen to people that are dedicated to that particular sport because they tend to do a better job.

I guess I am just confused by the posts that is all. The "caller" is there to call what is in front of them. Not analyze or offer insight. That is the job of the color analysis person in the booth. At least the way I have always understood it. But to ask what they have ever done? They are two of the biggest pioneers in sports on TV in the modern era. To me that offers far more credibility to any broadcast than a guy that won a couple of things regardless of sport.

Not liking someone for what they do during a broadcast is fine of course, everybody has their opinion. I just believe that people should at least recognize why someone is there rather than put them down for not winning at the sport they are calling. Because most of the great ones are not there because of their on the field/court/course abilities but rather their abilities in the booth...And to me that means a whole lot more.

What makes him good for golf? That he can say Whoop! more times than anyone on the face of the earth..haha

He talks about normal stuff and doesn't try to act like he knows everything. I know we all are going to have our own opinions on this but I already can see what is going on so I don't need you to tell me every last detail (especially when you are wrong)

I was surprised the first time I heard his voice for golf but he doesn't do a bad job and most importantly doesn't make me put the TV on mute.

I guess I am just confused by the posts that is all. The "caller" is there to call what is in front of them. Not analyze or offer insight. That is the job of the color analysis person in the booth. At least the way I have always understood it. But to ask what they have ever done? They are two of the biggest pioneers in sports on TV in the modern era. To me that offers far more credibility to any broadcast than a guy that won a couple of things regardless of sport.

Not liking someone for what they do during a broadcast is fine of course, everybody has their opinion. I just believe that people should at least recognize why someone is there rather than put them down for not winning at the sport they are calling. Because most of the great ones are not there because of their on the field/court/course abilities but rather their abilities in the booth...And to me that means a whole lot more.

I have more of an issue with the "hired gun" aspect of broadcasting I guess. I am not downplaying what Bob Costas has done but he should stick to that. I really hate his opening monologues before sporting events. Not everything has to be a magical moment. Just comes off as trying to hard. As for Chris Berman, I guess I just dont like the guy. I know what he has done for sports but he comes off as too hokey for me. To each his own I guess. What I meant by, "at least he has done something in the game, what have the ever done" I was referring to golf. Obviously I can recognize what those 2 gentlemen have done for broadcasting.

I have more of an issue with the "hired gun" aspect of broadcasting I guess. I am not downplaying what Bob Costas has done but he should stick to that. I really hate his opening monologues before sporting events. Not everything has to be a magical moment. Just comes off as trying to hard. As for Chris Berman, I guess I just dont like the guy. I know what he has done for sports but he comes off as too hokey for me. To each his own I guess. What I meant by, "at least he has done something in the game, what have the ever done" I was referring to golf. Obviously I can recognize what those 2 gentlemen have done for broadcasting.
So all in all you guys like the broadcast then!!! LMAO

I know it has nothing to do with his broadcasting, but whenever I hear Berman on a golf broadcast I can't help but think of him hacking away at the pebble beach pro-am. Regardless of how much he knows about the sport, conjuring up that image is enough for me to want him no where near a golf broadcast :alien:

I am not a big fan of the way they show golf tournaments on NBC. Not because of Costas or Berman, although I don't really care too much for either one. I think CBS does a better job overall.

My buddy just posted a screen cap of his television screen. He was standing five feet away from Furyk on the 70th hole, over in the trees where Jimbo snap hooked his drive. I asked him if Furyk and Fluff were seriously contemplating going through the tree limbs above, or whether it just looked like it on television.

Back