2012 US Open Contest & Official Thread [Spoilers]

What I will remember most about this particulare US Open:

1. On Saturday (I think) Furyk: "Hey you, in the yellow shirt. You wanna put that thing away. Appreciate it"

2. Beau Hossler: A 17 year old kid getting, and staying, on the leaderboard of a US Open. Next month, I won't remember his name. But, I'll always remember the play, which had me thinking, and talking, about Francis Ouimet all weekend.

3. Worst tourney, as a broadcaster, for Johnny Miller....EVER. Not that I care for him. But, he usually has some good analysis. This past week he spoke more nonsense and incorrect data, that it was like he was concussed.

I think the most annoying part is if Tiger isn't having a good day he is considered the worst player ever the guy one 2 tournaments this year and they are always harrassing him.

I thought Johnny Miller's most insightful comment came when he was talking about a spine in the green that would make a chip to break more than the player realizes. He said, and I quote, "That's local knowledge. Either you know it or you don't." Whatttt? Seems like that second sentence falls into the department of redundancy department.

I think the most annoying part is if Tiger isn't having a good day he is considered the worst player ever the guy one 2 tournaments this year and they are always harrassing him.

Wait, are you saying he did not win the US Open? I could have sworn he won it on Friday...

Wait, are you saying he did not win the US Open? I could have sworn he won it on Friday...

Well I am not sure they talked about him enough to assume he might have, I think I even saw full video analysis of him going to the bathroom.

What I will remember most about this particulare US Open:

1. On Saturday (I think) Furyk: "Hey you, in the yellow shirt. You wanna put that thing away. Appreciate it"

2. Beau Hossler: A 17 year old kid getting, and staying, on the leaderboard of a US Open. Next month, I won't remember his name. But, I'll always remember the play, which had me thinking, and talking, about Francis Ouimet all weekend.

3. Worst tourney, as a broadcaster, for Johnny Miller....EVER. Not that I care for him. But, he usually has some good analysis. This past week he spoke more nonsense and incorrect data, that it was like he was concussed.
I really liked #1 also.

I think between the awful coverage then the anti-climactic end, it was just a disappointing Major to me. I don't really mind that Webb won, although I'm not a fan, but I just hate watching guys puke on themselves to give it away.

This is why I have always loved the US Open more than any other Major. It is the ultimate test of survival for a golfer. Every single shot you hit hast to be just right, or you will pay a price. We say that guys are choking away the trophy, or whatever, but its just the pressure of needing a prefect shot time after time that they cannot maintain.

Furyk lost his cool on #12, although he wound up making a long par putt. It all caught up to him on 16, when he just didn't have a clear idea of what he wanted to do with the ball. That was incredible drama.

I'm not even that disappointed with NBC's coverage. They cannot cover every single story at once, and they can't how us every shot. Webb Simpson shot a pair of 68s on the weekend of the US Open, and we hardly saw him at all until he got to +2. The story on Sunday was Furyk, G-Mac, and the charges put on by Els and Westwood. I agree they showed us too much Hossler, but I don't know how they could have known that Thomson and Simpson were worth following until they were squarly in the hunt.

Speaking of Hossler, did they ever talk about his putter? It was a belly putter, but it didn't reach up to his belly. Did he outgrow his belly putter, or did he intenionally order a shorter shaft to turn his spider into an "almost belly" like Cleveland sells?

This is why I have always loved the US Open more than any other Major. It is the ultimate test of survival for a golfer. Every single shot you hit hast to be just right, or you will pay a price. We say that guys are choking away the trophy, or whatever, but its just the pressure of needing a prefect shot time after time that they cannot maintain.

Furyk lost his cool on #12, although he wound up making a long par putt. It all caught up to him on 16, when he just didn't have a clear idea of what he wanted to do with the ball. That was incredible drama.

I'm not even that disappointed with NBC's coverage. They cannot cover every single story at once, and they can't how us every shot. Webb Simpson shot a pair of 68s on the weekend of the US Open, and we hardly saw him at all until he got to +2. The story on Sunday was Furyk, G-Mac, and the charges put on by Els and Westwood. I agree they showed us too much Hossler, but I don't know how they could have known that Thomson and Simpson were worth following until they were squarly in the hunt.

Speaking of Hossler, did they ever talk about his putter? It was a belly putter, but it didn't reach up to his belly. Did he outgrow his belly putter, or did he intenionally order a shorter shaft to turn his spider into an "almost belly" like Cleveland sells?

They said he bought it off a member at the club he plays at. I believe they said the member sold it to him and he was a shorter guy and played it as a long putter. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

This is what really drives me nuts about him. Coming from a guy who couldn't make a straight uphill 4 footer to save his life at the end of his career everything is so easy up in the booth.

I don't really understand your criticism here. If Miller calls a putt "easy", he's not claiming that he could go out there and sink it with his eyes closed. He is saying the putt should be easy for a PGA professional. Considering that Miller got the yips pretty badly -- and discusses that fact on air frequently -- perhaps he knows all too well that there a certain putts a PGA professional should make if they want to stay in the game. Just because he himself lost his putting stroke, does that mean he can never ever provide critical analysis of someone else's stroke?

I don't really understand your criticism here. If Miller calls a putt "easy", he's not claiming that he could go out there and sink it with his eyes closed. He is saying the putt should be easy for a PGA professional. Considering that Miller got the yips pretty badly -- and discusses that fact on air frequently -- perhaps he knows all too well that there a certain putts a PGA professional should make if they want to stay in the game. Just because he himself lost his putting stroke, does that mean he can never ever provide critical analysis of someone else's stroke?

The problem is he was saying everything was easy...even from 30 feet -.- (I won't get into him talking about how players had easy shots from the rough)

Broadcasters aside (they almost should have a separate thread that can be cumulative for every event any of them do), I really enjoyed this Open... It was close, clutch and exciting to hope for/wonder if the next guy would have "the shot".

I really hope they do a better job for the next major cause I was so frustrated with NBC that I seriously just turned it off!

Everything was easy according to him. 50 footers, 5 foot slicers, everything. The only perskn i think he complimented all weekend was Michael Thompson.

Everyone else was poor.

You could even hear the disdain in the voices of his fellow commentators. I'm pretty sure Gary Koch was about to choke him out on Saturday.

While I dont disagree about whether or not someone has to be able to have accomplished something to discuss it, but I am not sure that works with Miller. Because he just as frequently discusses his wonderful accomplishments and uses the "back when I played".

It seemed as though this event more than just about any other I can remember, he was corrected by Jacobson and Koch what seemed like a dozen times each day.

They did mention it. They said it was given to him by a shorter member from his club.

I have a belly spider and have considered shortening it so it doesn't reach my belly. The swing weight is nice with the extra shaft length. My instructor actually order the manta ghost an inch short for this reason.

While I dont disagree about whether or not someone has to be able to have accomplished something to discuss it, but I am not sure that works with Miller. Because he just as frequently discusses his wonderful accomplishments and uses the "back when I played".

It seemed as though this event more than just about any other I can remember, he was corrected by Jacobson and Koch what seemed like a dozen times each day.

All I was referencing was JRod suggesting Miller shouldn't comment on putts because he got the yips when he was playing.

Miller was all over the map this weekend, and it was not very good. My favorite Miller moment was when he actually corrected himself. I'm not sure if he did this on purpose, but right after the Michael Thompson post-round interview he said something like "I wonder why he isn't out on the range....except, of course, that the playoff is 18 holes tomorrow, so he's done for today no matter what!"

The greatest feats in golf history were accomplished by Jack Nicklaus in Augusta, Tom Watson in Pebble Beach, and Johnny Miller in his own mind.

The Saturday one-upmanship going on between Miller and Jacobson was about the most irritating dialogue I've ever heard on a golf broadcast.

I can certainly respect the US Open being the toughest test in golf but when guys can't even hold a fairway I find it ridiculous. It's supposed to be a place where a good shot is rewarded and there were a couple of holes where if that were to happen guys had to hit less club and face a damn near impossible approach shot. That's not realistic to me, no matter what the skill level. I felt like the 16th hole was about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Not only was it 670 yards, it required a right to left shot that had to land within a 5 foot area on the left side of the fairway in order to stay in it.

I can certainly respect the US Open being the toughest test in golf but when guys can't even hold a fairway I find it ridiculous. It's supposed to be a place where a good shot is rewarded and there were a couple of holes where if that were to happen guys had to hit less club and face a damn near impossible approach shot. That's not realistic to me, no matter what the skill level. I felt like the 16th hole was about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Not only was it 670 yards, it required a right to left shot that had to land within a 5 foot area on the left side of the fairway in order to stay in it.

I thought the 16th hole was interesting to watch over the first 3 days when they played it at that length. I found it interesting to see some pros have to hit a 150-200 yard shot in to a par 5. Would I want to see it every week, heck no. But like the 17th at Sawgrass I thought that for 4 days a year that it was interesting to see. Really I liked the course set up, there were some good scores shot, and some awful rounds as well.

It was certainly hard to find the fairways, since most of them tilted the opposite direction of the dogleg. But the USGA actually accounted for that, making the first cut of rough a little wider on those holes, and the deep rough was playable throughout the course. In prior Open setups, if you were in the rough, then your only option was to hack the ball back to the fairway. The rough at the Olympic club was playable. I agree that some of the fairways should have been set up so they could hold shots, and of course the shaved areas around 13 and 17 were questionable, but overall I thought the setup was great.

I really liked the banter between Curtis Strange and Paul Azinger on Friday afternoon when Tiger hit that second shot at 17 that hit the green, but wound up rolling down the shaved area between two trees.

Curtis Strange, two-time US Open champion, "I really think they have this set up unfair, where a good shot that hits the green can roll down and get you in trouble"

Paul Azinger, one-time PGA Champion, cancer survivor, and general badass, "But, Curtis, the players know the trouble is there, and they know if you hit a cut shot into that hole you risk rolling down that hill. Its difficult, but its fair."

Stupid setup. Berman. Miller. By Sunday, I was over it and didn't even watch. Sad.

congrats Scrap Iron!

Back