2013 Srixon Q-Star - Review Thread

I saw cookie play this ball yesterday and I was pretty impressed. I was playing a TP 3 and from what I saw it did everything the TP 3 did. It actually might have been a little better on the green. I am thinking of trying it out to see how it works out for me.

Should have told me, I would have given you a sleeve dude!

Says new on the top right corner and stripe up/down front of package is left of center (as opposed to center in 2012 model).
Thanks. I just worry with these and the Bridgestone's to make sure I am getting the new model.

I'm excited to see and hear of the changes to the Q-Star for this year. I played last year's version a bit, but liked the greenside handling of the Z-Star better. When my swing is on, the Z-Star is my favorite golf ball.
The color of the Q-Star looks like the Z-Stars to me, and that's a perfect color. Thank you to all the MC/Srixon staffers who are talking about this ball; I can't wait to go out and get some. It sounds like it will work great for me.

Thanks Cookie, I know you would have. I just didnt feel comfortable asking, since we just met.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

I am curious to see how people like this. I was not a big fan of either the Qstar or AD333

Always played Titleist, most recently NXT tour. It is strange but I just feel more confident standing over a titleist ball, however I shall be buying a box of these if/when we get them in the UK.
Sounds like my sort of ball.
Well that blows that, just been to local golf course, they had never heard of them. Looked them up on the web and said they are not available in the UK!
Booooooooo!

I played the 2012 model and really didn't like it a whole lot, seemed kind of firm and clicky to me, may have to add these to the list of balls I want to try out once I go through my stash I built up over Christmas.

I got my dozen QStars the other day, I must say that I really like the yellow. It has a nice shimmer to it. I am excited to get this ball on the course to see how it performs.

I have placed a few comments here and there, but also wanted to do a quick "official" review. I received a box of these in tour yellow last week and also happened to be in GolfSmith on Sunday and saw these out so I purchased a dozen. Headed straight to the course to play with 6 other THP'ers and ball was put into play for the first time.

Conditions were soggy (2 inches of overnight rain), breezy at times but mostly calm, and temps in the upper 60's.

You will hear me say time and time again that I am not a feel guy. I tend to only notice feel if it is something very harsh that bothers me, so with that said lets get to the performance:

Off the tee: I was all over the face of the R1 on Sunday but one true constant was that I was seeing a mid ball flight that I am accustomed to. With it being so wet (cart path only) I typically would not put much stock into driver distance but I can tell you that I ranged from 215 yards (weak toe hit) to 272 yards (well struck) and most others in the 245-265 range. Not gonna lie, those are great numbers for me on a DRY day. An early observation but yet to be confirmed fact is that these are long. Longer than the 2012 Q-Star from what I can recall. I do have some 2012's still so head to head comparisons will happen soon.

Off the irons/full shot wedges: I had a great ball striking day resulting in 9/18 GIR. This ball definitely performed as expected with approaches consistently being within 3 feet of where they landed - this goes from the 58* wedge to a hybrid. This ball will stop on the greens. The greens were soft so I look forward to seeing if this holds true on my typical concrete like home course greens.

Chipping: This is where I struggled with the 2013 e6 and an area that is VERY important to me. I tend to miss a bunch of greens and rely on my short game to get me up/down. This ball impressed me on Sunday. Had a few of those 30 yard chips where I could get good compression and see the ball grab at landing before hopping once and releasing a few feet. In this aspect, this ball really reminded me of the 2012 B330-RX which I absolutely loved last year.

Putting: nothing abnormal here, hit some nice lag putts. No issues judging distance. Not being a feel guy, not much more for me to say here.

Durability: Impressed! Played the same ball for the entire round and I would not hesitate to put that same one back into play on the first hole of my next round. I avoided trees and cart paths but saw no damage done from regular "wear and tear".

Overall: I told the guys while having a drink post round, this will be my ball in the 2013 Morgan Cup. For full retail at $25/dozen this will be tough to beat. That's a price I can afford and will gladly pay. Love the yellow, easy to see - I have zero complaints about this ball after one round gamed with it!

Nice Review Cookie. You have me just itching to go out an get a dozen.

I have placed a few comments here and there, but also wanted to do a quick "official" review. I received a box of these in tour yellow last week and also happened to be in GolfSmith on Sunday and saw these out so I purchased a dozen. Headed straight to the course to play with 6 other THP'ers and ball was put into play for the first time.

Conditions were soggy (2 inches of overnight rain), breezy at times but mostly calm, and temps in the upper 60's.

You will hear me say time and time again that I am not a feel guy. I tend to only notice feel if it is something very harsh that bothers me, so with that said lets get to the performance:

Off the tee: I was all over the face of the R1 on Sunday but one true constant was that I was seeing a mid ball flight that I am accustomed to. With it being so wet (cart path only) I typically would not put much stock into driver distance but I can tell you that I ranged from 215 yards (weak toe hit) to 272 yards (well struck) and most others in the 245-265 range. Not gonna lie, those are great numbers for me on a DRY day. An early observation but yet to be confirmed fact is that these are long. Longer than the 2012 Q-Star from what I can recall. I do have some 2012's still so head to head comparisons will happen soon.

Off the irons/full shot wedges: I had a great ball striking day resulting in 9/18 GIR. This ball definitely performed as expected with approaches consistently being within 3 feet of where they landed - this goes from the 58* wedge to a hybrid. This ball will stop on the greens. The greens were soft so I look forward to seeing if this holds true on my typical concrete like home course greens.

Chipping: This is where I struggled with the 2013 e6 and an area that is VERY important to me. I tend to miss a bunch of greens and rely on my short game to get me up/down. This ball impressed me on Sunday. Had a few of those 30 yard chips where I could get good compression and see the ball grab at landing before hopping once and releasing a few feet. In this aspect, this ball really reminded me of the 2012 B330-RX which I absolutely loved last year.

Putting: nothing abnormal here, hit some nice lag putts. No issues judging distance. Not being a feel guy, not much more for me to say here.

Durability: Impressed! Played the same ball for the entire round and I would not hesitate to put that same one back into play on the first hole of my next round. I avoided trees and cart paths but saw no damage done from regular "wear and tear".

Overall: I told the guys while having a drink post round, this will be my ball in the 2013 Morgan Cup. For full retail at $25/dozen this will be tough to beat. That's a price I can afford and will gladly pay. Love the yellow, easy to see - I have zero complaints about this ball after one round gamed with it!

Nice review Cookie. I can attest that he had some great results with the Qstar. This ball responded very nicely off of the driver and on the greens for him. I even got to watch him back the ball up nicely once or twice Sunday.

Great thoughts, Cookie. Sounds like your mine has been made up for the MC.

Have you tried out the Z Star SL?

Great review Cookie. Going to pick up some soon.

Great stuff so far guys. I really like the sounds of these. FedEx tried to deliver these a couple times, but I wasn't home, so I am picking them up today.

The online ball fitter suggested the Z-STAR and Z-STAR XV, so I will be doing a little head to head to head with these Q-STARs. I really think the Q-STAR could be a great winter/cold temps ball, when I'm not swinging as fast. I look forward to getting my hands on these.

Thanks everyone, hoping it helps someone that is thinking of trying these!

Great thoughts, Cookie. Sounds like your mine has been made up for the MC.

Have you tried out the Z Star SL?

I have not. Played Bridgestone all of last year and I despise spending more than about what these are going for. Can't say anything definitive about the MC cause you never know, but so far this ball does everything I look for in a ball to do.

Not gonna lie, I want to be very comfortable with what I am playing and what I expect it to do and with how affordable these are, they can be my everyday gamer so there is no doubt come July what they bring to the game for me.

Thanks everyone, hoping it helps someone that is thinking of trying these!

I have not. Played Bridgestone all of last year and I despise spending more than about what these are going for. Can't say anything definitive about the MC cause you never know, but so far this ball does everything I look for in a ball to do.

Not gonna lie, I want to be very comfortable with what I am playing and what I expect it to do and with how affordable these are, they can be my everyday gamer so there is no doubt come July what they bring to the game for me.
The reason I ask is because you played the RX for so long, and the SL is quite similar, in my opinion. Similar price point to the RX, too.

Great job cookie! man, I cant wait to get these balls out on the course.

I agree...$25 a dozen sure is appealing

Some great stuff in here guys. Might be having to pick some of these up and give them a try. Keep it up!

Got 2 dozen of the 2012 Q stars when u came over last year and it looks as though I may have to get some more when I come over next.

I don't understand why they don't release these in the UK, they could happily put them between the AD333 and the Z star at about £22.

Thanks for the great review Cookie, really helps

Damn you guys, I've bought the '13 e5 and rbzu along with hex chromes. Now I'll have to buy these. Always good to put the side by side on and see what fits me best.

You guys have me really interested in these at the moment.

You guys have me really interested in these at the moment.
I think you will like them a lot, Hawk. First impressions for me were great, and I see it as a HUGE improvement of last years model.

I played the Q stars all last year (2012). From these reviews, I am confident this will be my ball for 2013.

Do you guys believe they spin a bit more than the 2012's on approach shots?

I played the Q stars all last year (2012). From these reviews, I am confident this will be my ball for 2013.

Do you guys believe they spin a bit more than the 2012's on approach shots?

I think the answer will eventually be yes but tough to confirm after just one round. I have my next round planned for Saturday morning (MGA event) and this ball will be in play.

[video=youtube;MX3gsJ-v_o4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX3gsJ-v_o4&sns=em[/video]

Back