2013 Srixon Q-Star - Review Thread

I am really liking what I am reading here about these. These are right at that the top of my list of balls to try this year.

I am really liking what I am reading here about these. These are right at that the top of my list of balls to try this year.
If we play this weekend, you can give them a go.

Loved the Q-Star I found on the course last year, I was bummed when I snap hooked it left. I will def have to give the 2013 rendition a go.

I'm definitely buying a couple dozen of these as soon as they hit stores, these reviews have me pumped.

Have 2 dozen on order should be here Friday can't wait to game this. This along with the XV when it is released will be my premium and budget ball tandem.

new srixon commercial

new srixon commercial

gmac gets bodyslammed

[video=youtube;MX3gsJ-v_o4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX3gsJ-v_o4[/video]

That meathead better watch out roughing up my mancrush.

gmac gets bodyslammed

Guessing you did not read the updates from last night where I posted this video, eh? :act-up:

I think thats actually a good commercial! They got their point accross in a fun way. and not comparing it to other balls or who hits them. Honest opinion...VERY WELL DONE!

Guessing you did not read the updates from last night where I posted this video, eh? :act-up:

Indeed I failed to see it. I read gmac's twitter. gmac's updates > cookie's updates :alien:

Feb 14, 2013
The Grizzly Golf Club
Temps: Mid 40s
Winds: 20 mph
Conditions: Wet (cart path only)

I was able to sneak in 7 holes last night before dark and I put the '13 Srixon QStar into action for the first time on the course. With winter conditions still present in our region, I was eager to jump out there when we had a flash of decent weather and log my first few holes of the season. I was pressing to get in as many holes as possible, so I didnt play multiple balls per shot or play multiple balls for comparison. I just wanted to log as many holes as possible before dark.

That being said, I enjoyed my first experience with the new QStar and will play it again next time. I wasnt a big fan of the previous version, and preferred the Bridgestone E6 over it. The previous version just didnt stand out in any one area to me, where I really liked the straight flight of the E6. I hit 3/6 fairways and 3/7 greens yestersay, both about my averages from last year.

Short game: The 2013 version seems a bit softer around the greens compared to the earlier version, even when accounting for the wet conditions. I would have to fly my shots around the green about 90-95% of my total distance needed, and the balls responded pretty consistently for me. I will defer judgement on the feel on putting, as the greens here are still shaggy and I'm not a big believer in the feel of a ball during putting.

Long game: With the cold temps, wet conditions, and winds it is truly hard to judge and compare distances between different balls. I was seeing about the same distances I would expect to see in similar conditions with the E6. There seemed to be some more side spin than I remember getting with the E6, as a few of the shots I felt to be pretty good would kind of drift offline.In that aspect, they kind of reminded me of the Titleist NXT Tours I used to game. I am sure the wind played into this some too.

I wasnt getting any roll on any shot, both on the fairway and into the green, so I will hold off on discussing control/spin on long shots into the green.

I did end up losing 2 balls (also about my average for 7 holes), one into some water and another due to darkness. The Tour Yellow color didnt bother me as much as I originally thought it would. I was hoping it would be alot easier to see the ball on those last holes before dark, but it was just a bit easier to see than a regular white ball. The biggest adjustment was mentally, just reminding myself that I wasnt standing over a range ball on each shot, which was a new one for me. Took me about 3 holes until I didnt need to remind myself anymore.

All in all, a good first test. Nothing out of the ordinary, positively or negatively. Just too early in the season, both for my game and the conditions, to give it a final judgement just yet.

Thanks for the thoughts, ddxu. I also never really could get into the last version of the Q-Star for some reason. I fully admit that part of that revolved around my feeling that the yellow wasn't as good as what was available in the Z-Star line. I'm actually really excited to try these out and may have to get a box this weekend. I think the yellow really comes alive in the summer months more than it does when things are drab like they are this time of year.

I really need to grab a dozen of these soon just for grins.

Thanks for the info ddxu.

Thanks for the review ddxu!

Im planning on some serious short game work with these guys on Monday. Updates after

Looking forward to it, dhill!

Thanks for the thoughts, ddxu. I also never really could get into the last version of the Q-Star for some reason. I fully admit that part of that revolved around my feeling that the yellow wasn't as good as what was available in the Z-Star line. I'm actually really excited to try these out and may have to get a box this weekend. I think the yellow really comes alive in the summer months more than it does when things are drab like they are this time of year.

I dont know how to describe the difference in ball colors versus last years. This years is just more electric, where last years just kind of looks like it was out in the sun a few weeks and faded/got dirty.

That's a good way to put it actually.

Really Peeved ( polite way to put it ) that these arent available in the UK , in fact have emailed Srixon UK giving them a hard time ...we will await their reply...if I even get one .....

Keep up the good work guys , I can see a Black market springing up between US and UK THPers to import these....:banghead:

Actually the brother in laws fiancee flies regularly into Florida .....Mmmmmm ponders a request to her....

Putting these back in play on Sunday, and I cant wait. Really looking forward to seeing if these continue to impress me as much as they did last weekend.

Day: 2/15
Course: Eagle Watch Golf Club-Woodstock, GA
Conditions: Wet, Comfortable Temperature.

I played the Q-Star for the majority of the round and got the chance to put it against other balls quite a bit since I was a single and having to wait quite a bit.

First Impressions:
My first impressions of the ball are strong. The feel of it off the face is explosive. I love it off the tee. The first time I hit it with an iron it had a good a very good feel to it. Was a little hard for my liking, but it was okay. The first time with the putter was about the same. A little hard for my liking, but not horrible.

Distance:
The ball had an average distance to it. Not too long but not super short. It was actually almost the exact same distance as the Pro V1 I was playing each time. However, it was about 5 yards shorter then the E7, which is what was expected. It's distance was a surprise actually. For how hard the ball felt off the face, I did expect it to be a little longer then the Pro V1. Overall, the distance of the Q-Star is very average.

Approaches:
From a yardage of 80-180 yards, the Q-Star once again is very.....average. The ball normally hits hard once and rolls out about 3 feet. It does not matter if I hit a wedge in their or a 7 iron, It was very difficult for the ball to stop dead and have significant spin. Compared to the Pro V1, both reacted the same when you hit 7 iron into the green. However, the real difference is the wedge spin. With the Pro V1, I could get the ball to hit and spin back a good 2-3 feet. With the Q-Star, it would stop and roll out a foot or 2. It's actually something that I did not like about the ball. I enjoy being able to hit a wedge past the pin and knowing it should come back to the hole. Compared to the E7, the Q-Star stopped much quicker then the e7. Being a distance ball, this is what I expected. So once again, the Q-Star was very average.

Around the Green:
As noted in my first impression, the ball seems rather hard when you hit a chip or putt with it. It feels almost identical to the e7 and the Pro V1 was much softer and felt much better in my opinion. The hard feel just isn't for me. It feels funny and makes me want to hit chips and putts softer and it caused me to leave some putts short because the feel seemed to fast. Plus, the Pro V1 seemed to check up more on pitches rather then the Q-Star. So here, the Q-Star is very similar to the e7.

Final Thoughts:
I didn't really know what to expect with the Q-Star. I did play the 2012 Q-Star for a week, but I ended up giving the balls to my dad. I did actually end up enjoying them for a ball that costs less then a Tour ball. I believe it's a great ball for the 7-15 handicap player. I would enjoy the ball Z-Star much more. I did like this ball though and it surprised me. However, when they say the ball has less spin, it means all spin in general. But, it still is a great surprise for me as it did perform well. But if one phrase had to describe the ball, it would be 'Average, and in the middle of every category.'

Back