2013 Srixon Q-Star - Review Thread

Great writeup JT! Would love to see you give the RBZU a try and hear your thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

JT - Any idea what your normal driver or 6 iron swing speed clocks?

Headed to the course now for a couple hours of practice before work. Giving this ball it's first run through.

Great thoughts Dan and Taylor.

They didn't have them at our sorry Dick's today. The old ones were on sale for $16 though. I didn't get any since I really wanted to try the new ones.

I've got 3 boxes of the 2012's still but dammit I want to hit the yellow 2013's now!

I've got 3 boxes of the 2012's still but dammit I want to hit the yellow 2013's now!

Me too. I was bummed to see they weren't out yet.

They didn't have them at our sorry Dick's today. The old ones were on sale for $16 though. I didn't get any since I really wanted to try the new ones.
I havent seen them on shelves yet either. May need to run down the street to Edwin Watts to see if they have them.

Me too. I was bummed to see they weren't out yet.

Probably for the best for me. I need to cut off the spending for about a month.

And I sure as hell don't need any more golf balls at the moment.

And I sure as hell don't need any more golf balls at the moment.
Nor do I, I have so, so so many balls in the garage.

They'll be hitting golf Galaxy stores this week.

Tapped out on my EVO 4G LTE

Was coming in here to inquire if anyone has found these out. Went to Dicks and GG today and nothing!

Was coming in here to inquire if anyone has found these out. Went to Dicks and GG today and nothing!

I have seen them at both local GolfSmith's (last Sunday and today).

JT - Any idea what your normal driver or 6 iron swing speed clocks?

Driver SS is 112. Honestly, I can't remember what my 6 was. I haven't had it clocked in a while.

Really Peeved ( polite way to put it ) that these arent available in the UK , in fact have emailed Srixon UK giving them a hard time ...we will await their reply...if I even get one .....

Well I received a prompt reply from Srixon...colour me impressed....well for all us UK and European golfers...the Q star is known as the AD333 over here ...why change the name I don't know....if anyone wants a copy of the email pm me ...hope this helps ...gonna dig some out tomorrow see what they are like

Ranger, that's fascinating, really? I got some of the 2012 q stars and pretty sure I have a few Ad333s so I'm going to have a look!

If you get a second cud you forward the message?

Thanks

Ranger, that's fascinating, really? I got some of the 2012 q stars and pretty sure I have a few Ad333s so I'm going to have a look!

If you get a second cud you forward the message?

Thanks

The Q stars replaced the ad333's here in the states if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I put these back in to play this past Sunday, and will have a full writeup coming soon, but quickly; these balls continue to impress me. A great step forward from last years model for sure. Long and straight off the tee, and tons of action on full and partial shots in to the green. I can definitely game this one for the foreseeable future.

Just had a copy of Srixon's response to Ranger5022 - thanks Ranger

Whilst the AD333 may be their version of the Q Star for Europe, these balls are not the Q Star. The new Q star talks about 344 dimples (old model replaced had 324) has 333 dimples (who'd have guessed) and doesn't mention the spin skin, although both balls are made of the same Rabalon HR+ and Pana-tetra blended cover and the same core.

I suspect the fact the AD333 is the biggest selling 2 piece ball has a lot to do with the fact that we won't be getting the Q Star in the UK - we'll need to go to the states or import them if we want to try it.

So it looks like a similar ball - perhaps a generation behind. Thanks to Ranger for the info.

So I suspect

2/17/2013
18 holes played
Temps from 45-65, winds 15-25

I was able to get out for another 18 this past weekend. As I mentioned in my last review, I played the same ball for 18 holes in my first round and put that same ball into play on Sunday.

Generally speaking, I saw much of the same as I did my first time out. Off the tee, saw a nice penetrating ball flight that actually gave me some distances that were a bit longer than I expected on some holes especially into the wind.

As far as shots into the greens go, it was a struggle out there with the winds and I only managed to hit 4 GIR. Only one of those shots was not within 2-3 feet of the ball mark and that was 55 yard shot downwind with the 58* into a VERY firm green. I had a short sided pin over a bunker and was really just focused on lobbing it up and carrying rather than compressing/generating spin so I saw a release of about 10-12 feet on that one.

Missing so many GIR's, I had TONS of opportunity for greenside chipping and this is where I am really impressed with the ball. I find that I am getting a predictable amount of bite/spin around the greens that allows me to play the type of shots I want to. It performs quite similarly for me to the 2012 B330-RX which I gamed for quite awhile. If the balls were unmarked, I am not sure if I could tell a difference from the performance. The Q-Star is much better around the greens for me than the e6 was.

There are other balls in the Srixon line but I really see no reason to try anything else. Straight, long ball flight with enough action on the greens without being too much. I use a laser for all my approaches with the intention of carrying the ball to the flag and it immediately stopping - this ball does that for me as well as any ball ever has.

ETA: I played the same ball for 35 complete holes until my tee shot on 18 Sunday found a pond (combination of high push with a strong left to right wind). I saw no wear that caused me any need to changeout the ball prior to that!!

Durability sounds very good, Cookie. Was the paint on the lettering staying on the ball? That was something that drove me crazy about the last version.

Durability sounds very good, Cookie. Was the paint on the lettering staying on the ball? That was something that drove me crazy about the last version.

Honestly, I did not notice any wear on the lettering. Heck, normally I have to even retrace my black Sharpie putting alignment line after a round and I did not have to do that either. I will keep an eye on this aspect, but I did not recall seeing any. Worth noting that I clean my ball with a yellow towel before putting so typically notice anything abnormal on it.

Excellent. I can't wait to grab a box.

2/17/2013
18 holes played
Temps from 45-65, winds 15-25

I was able to get out for another 18 this past weekend. As I mentioned in my last review, I played the same ball for 18 holes in my first round and put that same ball into play on Sunday.

Generally speaking, I saw much of the same as I did my first time out. Off the tee, saw a nice penetrating ball flight that actually gave me some distances that were a bit longer than I expected on some holes especially into the wind.

As far as shots into the greens go, it was a struggle out there with the winds and I only managed to hit 4 GIR. Only one of those shots was not within 2-3 feet of the ball mark and that was 55 yard shot downwind with the 58* into a VERY firm green. I had a short sided pin over a bunker and was really just focused on lobbing it up and carrying rather than compressing/generating spin so I saw a release of about 10-12 feet on that one.

Missing so many GIR's, I had TONS of opportunity for greenside chipping and this is where I am really impressed with the ball. I find that I am getting a predictable amount of bite/spin around the greens that allows me to play the type of shots I want to. It performs quite similarly for me to the 2012 B330-RX which I gamed for quite awhile. If the balls were unmarked, I am not sure if I could tell a difference from the performance. The Q-Star is much better around the greens for me than the e6 was.

There are other balls in the Srixon line but I really see no reason to try anything else. Straight, long ball flight with enough action on the greens without being too much. I use a laser for all my approaches with the intention of carrying the ball to the flag and it immediately stopping - this ball does that for me as well as any ball ever has.

ETA: I played the same ball for 35 complete holes until my tee shot on 18 Sunday found a pond (combination of high push with a strong left to right wind). I saw no wear that caused me any need to changeout the ball prior to that!!
Sounds great Cookie. So, you think your mind is made up on this one!? Your 2013 gamer?

Sounds great Cookie. So, you think your mind is made up on this one!? Your 2013 gamer?

Barring something exceptionally crazy and unexpected happening, I have zero desire to play any other golf ball.

Back