2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am conflicted. A couple friends from work, have joined a gym, and are pushing me to do so as well. I need to lose about 20 lbs, and been putting it off forever. I am considering joining, but for ages have wanted to just buy a treadmill and take up running. A con for me on all this, is that if I am too lazy to do P90X or 10 minute trainer at home, why would I go to a gym.

This past week, having missed a couple days of work in the previous pay period, I decided to stretch my food budget by taking lunch everyday. And since I was taking lunch, it might as well be vegetable and fruit heavy, and try to be healthier. Well, I got through the past 7 days being healthier. Vegetables take a long time to chew compared to a Big Mac & fries.

I have never been a member of a gym, nor have I ever really worked out. I am hesitant I will look like an idiot, like a weakling, like a fatso.

Anyone have any advice? Try and do it at home? Do the gym thing? I really don't know what to do.

So, I am conflicted. A couple friends from work, have joined a gym, and are pushing me to do so as well. I need to lose about 20 lbs, and been putting it off forever. I am considering joining, but for ages have wanted to just buy a treadmill and take up running. A con for me on all this, is that if I am too lazy to do P90X or 10 minute trainer at home, why would I go to a gym.

This past week, having missed a couple days of work in the previous pay period, I decided to stretch my food budget by taking lunch everyday. And since I was taking lunch, it might as well be vegetable and fruit heavy, and try to be healthier. Well, I got through the past 7 days being healthier. Vegetables take a long time to chew compared to a Big Mac & fries.

I have never been a member of a gym, nor have I ever really worked out. I am hesitant I will look like an idiot, like a weakling, like a fatso.

Anyone have any advice? Try and do it at home? Do the gym thing? I really don't know what to do.
Nobody goes to the gym to prove or show off how strong they are, if they do they're asshats. Don't ever feel intimidated by going to a gym.

The motivation is difficult. You have to do something to get yourself there.

Have a plan, be educated, and don't trust the advice from gym bros.

Eating properly is 80+% of getting on track, so you have already made it through a week of the hardest part. Blu is right, no one at the gym there for the right reason will be a concern. The guy you have to watch out for is the one working the room, and occasionally stopping to do a curl or set of bench press. Educate yourself reading all you can from some of the best trainers, and watch their videos.

Crossfit gets a bad rap for a lot of things, some very warranted. But what they get right is getting people moving, and motivating them to push themselves. Not saying give that a try in particular, but a group class environment can be a great start. Depending on the gym they will have multiple levels of classes for everyone from people starting out to advanced. The group will keep you going at times, and one with a good design and instructor will cover a lot of bases.

One other thing for losing weight. Dreadmills and other similar cardio machines are generally the worst way to approach that. Look up an article by Alwyn Cosgrove called The Hierarchy of Weightloss. It is the most concise article I have found on the subject, and his logic is pretty much what any quality trainer follows now.

Nobody goes to the gym to prove or show off how strong they are, if they do they're asshats. Don't ever feel intimidated by going to a gym.

The motivation is difficult. You have to do something to get yourself there.

Have a plan, be educated, and don't trust the advice from gym bros.

This. Go to a gym where the folks who run it are knowledgable. The people who really know their stuff will never judge anyone for not knowing what they're doing or starting out (appropriately) light. They're there to help you learn, and will be enthusiastic that you're interested. It might cost more than a $10/month gym, but worth it especially if you want to get in to lifting. The gym I work out at has strongmen lifting next to 60 year old women.

There's also a ton of great information online once you wade through the broscience.

A banana then 1.5 mile jog @~12 minute mile pace, and .5 mile walk.

Tuna sandwiches and some almonds.

2015 thread is live. ;)

Every Friday I have my kids do a "Fitness Friday" in the gym. I come up with different workouts and that is our activity for the day. Today's class is a shorten time so we only have around 30 minutes to workout. Here is what I had them do, broke them down to boys go then girls.

Today's Fitness Friday only a 30 minute class: Kids love me.
1. Down and back jog x5
2. Side shuffle's down and back x5
3. Frog Hop's down and back x2
4. Bear Crawl's down and back x2
5. 15 Burpees
6. Down and back sprints timed x3
7. Alligator walks 30 feet x2
8. Down and back sprints timed x3

Is this Groundhog Day or did we lose all of the post since 1/26?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back