2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found out I have a PT test next Friday. I should run, or something. Have to figure all the course-walking and golf ball hitting I've been doing has been keeping me in decent shape.

Still, I'll need a reasonably good performance to justify my continued doing PT on my own. And by "doing PT on my own" I mean playing golf.

ZanX4Yz.gif

Badminton club last night and I was struggling a little bit by the end of the night.....it is amazing how quickly you can lose fitness - not played for 2 weeks and it felt like I hadn't played for a month!

And to add to last nights playing, I am also playing in a match tonight as well so making up for lost time I reckon, not sure how I will feel in the morning but I am willing to bet it will be a little bit like :beat-up:

That's about how my lower body feels today TD. I was wondering why I felt so good yesterday after Wednesday's workout, but apparently the soreness wanted to wait a little while to set in.

This may have been discussed before, but I've been absent in this thread, so I apologize if it has.

How do you guys handle working out and soreness afterwards with your golf game? I've been working out a few weeks now, but I still get sore after certain workouts. I have a lesson tomorrow. I would have done plyometrics today, but I skipped it because my legs are usually fairly sore the next day or two. If you have a lesson or round planned do you avoid more intense workouts the day or two before? Or are there some things you can do to reduce the soreness and the effect on your swing?

2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Put in another good workout last night. 2 miles on the treadmill and legs, back, and abs.

Disappointed I won't get one in today as I will be traveling all day.

drp, I've wondered the same thing.

Yeah I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do besides just continuing to work out so your body gets used to it. But then if your body gets used to it and it's just a simple workout, then you probably need to change it up :bulgy-eyes:

This may have been discussed before, but I've been absent in this thread, so I apologize if it has.

How do you guys handle working out and soreness afterwards with your golf game? I've been working out a few weeks now, but I still get sore after certain workouts. I have a lesson tomorrow. I would have done plyometrics today, but I skipped it because my legs are usually fairly sore the next day or two. If you have a lesson or round planned do you avoid more intense workouts the day or two before? Or are there some things you can do to reduce the soreness and the effect on your swing?

Proper stretching and I can't recall the supplement you can take.

Yeah I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do besides just continuing to work out so your body gets used to it. But then if your body gets used to it and it's just a simple workout, then you probably need to change it up :bulgy-eyes:

Exactly!

That's what I was going to do today - just stretch the hell out of my lower body first.

That's what I was going to do today - just stretch the hell out of my lower body first.

I worked my upper body hard on Wed, went out yesterday stretched and shot an 81. Some damn good ball striking and to think I was worried prior to teeing off.

Nice dude. Maybe I should go do some pushups lol.

Doesn't glucosamine help with soreness and recovery? I could be wrong but I thought I remember hearing that.

Doesn't glucosamine help with soreness and recovery? I could be wrong but I thought I remember hearing that.

That's it. A little sleep deprived right now.

Maybe that would be enough then. Just stretch like crazy before the lesson/round. I'll try to give it a shot next time I'm sore to see how I feel afterwards.

Potassium (bananas) will help break up lactic acid.

Nice. I got a banana to go with my lunch.

Nice. I got a banana to go with my lunch.

Also water and light activity will help with the soreness. Don't be afraid to move, just don't do any intense workouts. Do not go run on a treadmill. Awful idea.

Also water and light activity will help with the soreness. Don't be afraid to move, just don't do any intense workouts. Do not go run on a treadmill. Awful idea.

I skipped intervals on the bike today since I'll probably get a good 4 miles carrying my bag in on hilly terrain. Not necessarily a substitute, but I wanted to avoid getting too fatigued.

Weighed myself this am and I've dropped another two pounds ( 208 ). I've mainly focused on lots of cardio - jogging and running. I suppose it's time to start introducing weight training into my routine?

I skipped intervals on the bike today since I'll probably get a good 4 miles carrying my bag in on hilly terrain. Not necessarily a substitute, but I wanted to avoid getting too fatigued.

You did it right. If you're legs are sore, doing cardio will hurt their progression. If you're sore and work too hard on the sore areas, you're body will create cortisol. That cortisol will hurt protein synthesis, limit muscle growth and maybe ever start breaking down the muscle. Light activity is good when sore. Strenuous is bad. Walking and golf is not strenuous. Interval training on a stationary bike is.

Good info blu, thanks

Weighed myself this am and I've dropped another two pounds ( 208 ). I've mainly focused on lots of cardio - jogging and running. I suppose it's time to start introducing weight training into my routine?

You'll burn a lot of calories lifting weights. Also keep in mind, you will burn calories after a workout as your body is rebuilding the muscle. You do not have the same effect with cardio.

Disagree. Light jogging, for me, is the best way to get the lactic acid through my system.

Although, I typically advise against treadmill running anyway. So freaking boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back