2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sucked in a good way?

I suppose you could say that if we're talking about the big picture lol. It was hard for me. Not only in terms of muscle burn (I can't think of another term), but I swear it's a harder cardio workout than actual cardio. It makes my heart race. It's 100% necessary though, especially if I'm working on stability in the lower body and some (hopefully one day) explosiveness down there.

I suppose you could say that if we're talking about the big picture lol. It was hard for me. Not only in terms of muscle burn (I can't think of another term), but I swear it's a harder cardio workout than actual cardio. It makes my heart race. It's 100% necessary though, especially if I'm working on stability in the lower body and some (hopefully one day) explosiveness down there.

That resistance work is just as effective as cardio work brother. Lots of calories burned.

That resistance work is just as effective as cardio work brother. Lots of calories burned.

That's for sure. The way these circuits are set up sort of lends itself to that too I guess. Moreso than the upper body. Things like squats with a jump, suspended bicycle riders, etc.

That's for sure. The way these circuits are set up sort of lends itself to that too I guess. Moreso than the upper body. Things like squats with a jump, suspended bicycle riders, etc.

That's some good stuff right there. Those jump moves will add a ton of strength to your fast twitch muscle fibers. That means explosiveness.

Another evening of badminton last night and I have got a match again tonight so for two weeks running, I will have played on consecutive nights - I know I will ache tomorrow but it will all be for a good reason

Ran another 3 miles last night. Really struggling to get workouts in right now.

This is true. A solid circuit sure is tougher than most cardio. Love reading this.

Absolutely. I normally do ( haven't been able to lately because of this shoulder ) a lot of super sets with no more than 30-45 seconds rest between groupings, and I can guarantee you that gets my heart rate up and burns as much, if not more, than any cardio exercise. Plus, you will see big changes in body composition.

I'm kind of hit a frustration wall today at the gym. I feel like i'm gaining strength as I can lift and pull more weight then ever. I feel like I'm gaining some endurance as I can run/jog more or bike longer than I have been able too. But I'm just not losing weight at a rate that I feel that I should be. And I'm realistic about what I feel like I should be losing which is around a pound or two a week. Over the 12 weeks I have been working out since the start of the year I'm down alittle over 5 pounds. Kristen says that its because I'm lifting and I'm probably adding more muscle fiber than I think and thats offsetting what I'm losing. But I'm not sure I buy that..my diet is decent, not the best, but not terrible. I drink lots of water, stay away from sugary drinks, I do drink Powerade Zero at the gym but other than that its pretty much all water. And I just can't seem to lose, i ran more and worked out more this week than I did the last two weeks and gained. Those other two weeks I lost. And I can't get my damn beer belly to go away to save my life and I think thats part of the root of my frustration. But I was doing weighted forward lunges and I'm looking in the mirror and just hated what i seen. It was just frustration today for me at the gym, I usually take the weekend off from the gym and kind of hate it, but i'm glad to be taking this weekend off from it. I just need to vent that out as I did at Kristen this morning too, which I felt bad about, but maybe my fellow THP work out buddies can talk me off my little ledge today...

I'm kind of hit a frustration wall today at the gym. I feel like i'm gaining strength as I can lift and pull more weight then ever. I feel like I'm gaining some endurance as I can run/jog more or bike longer than I have been able too. But I'm just not losing weight at a rate that I feel that I should be. And I'm realistic about what I feel like I should be losing which is around a pound or two a week. Over the 12 weeks I have been working out since the start of the year I'm down alittle over 5 pounds. Kristen says that its because I'm lifting and I'm probably adding more muscle fiber than I think and thats offsetting what I'm losing. But I'm not sure I buy that..my diet is decent, not the best, but not terrible. I drink lots of water, stay away from sugary drinks, I do drink Powerade Zero at the gym but other than that its pretty much all water. And I just can't seem to lose, i ran more and worked out more this week than I did the last two weeks and gained. Those other two weeks I lost. And I can't get my damn beer belly to go away to save my life and I think thats part of the root of my frustration. But I was doing weighted forward lunges and I'm looking in the mirror and just hated what i seen. It was just frustration today for me at the gym, I usually take the weekend off from the gym and kind of hate it, but i'm glad to be taking this weekend off from it. I just need to vent that out as I did at Kristen this morning too, which I felt bad about, but maybe my fellow THP work out buddies can talk me off my little ledge today...

Since your goal is to lose weight, you have to be pretty diligent with what's going into your body. Here's a good plan, take your goal weight and multiply it by 12. That is the number of calories you can have in a day. No processed foods. 25% of your calories should be protein, do not over do the protein. Don't be afraid of carbs, but be afraid of processed carbs. DO NOT AVOID CARBS! No more Powerade Zero. Drink water. As much water as you want. Time your workouts. Keep them under 60 minutes. If it takes longer, shorten your rest time. 3-4 days a week of strenuous exercise. Too much and you will regress or get injured. Also, big picture buddy! There is an end goal. Keep your eye on that prize. One last thing to remember when you're at the gym. Everybody who is there, is there because they to are unhappy with their body!

PD - let me also add this, workout smartly. Do certain exercises and avoid others. Your goal is to burn calories. If a lift only uses one joint, skip it. It's worthless to your goals. If you have questions, be sure to ask. There is a lot of knowledge here between WCBM, Paladin, and many others.

The weight loss was pretty slow for me at first, so I made some big changes to my diet and started working out more often. I'm not starving myself by any means, but I'm eating radically different than I was three months ago and the weight is coming off pretty quickly.

I think it was just a "I feel like Im putting in a ton a work but only seeing half the results" moment for me. BG and Hawk, thanks guys. I mean it. Just reading that help me out and tells me i'm in the right direction, just need a little refinement with what I'm doing. I think diet is probably the biggest thing for me. The problem is with my job and Kristens job, we have some nights that we don't eat till 930 almost 10. Thats rough on a diet, but when I don't get off till 830 or later and she doesn't get off till 9 theres just no way around it. But we will figure something out for sure. Thanks again guys!! Big help and makes me feel better about it all and after Kristens pep talk this morning, I'm in a better place with it.

Keygs - forget about when you eat. Focus on what you're eating. You will be alright. Stay focused.

The weight loss was pretty slow for me at first, so I made some big changes to my diet and started working out more often. I'm not starving myself by any means, but I'm eating radically different than I was three months ago and the weight is coming off pretty quickly.

Diet was the big change I made and because of it I have started to see the results I was looking for.

Diet was the big change I made and because of it I have started to see the results I was looking for.

Only problem is it's gotten to the point that I don't even enjoy cheat meal anymore. Boo to that.

PT Test this morning was a success. 77 pushups in 2 minutes, 77 situps in 2 minutes, and 14:22 2-mile run. The run had me nervous because I simply hadn't been doing it much, was glad to stay under 14:30. All told, 283 points out of a possible 300. Not bad considering it came at the end of my shift after I'd been up all night.

Only problem is it's gotten to the point that I don't even enjoy cheat meal anymore. Boo to that.

I know that feeling all to well.

Well another 100% win rate in the badminton match tonight but it was a shockingly bad performance from me tonight....

It was the equivalent of shooting a round of golf in the 60s to then going out and posting a 100+ score - that was how bad it was tonight compared to last night at the club

Went and did a focus master class with my cousin this morning and I had a blast. I apparently punched hard enough I knocked one of the targets off the wall. Oops ;)

Got in a 45 treadmill workout today. I'm so glad my knee is feeling better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Start a new diet and fitness plan tomorrow. Pretty pumped about it and looking to shed around 10-20 lbs over the next 3 months. Doesn't seem to hard to stick to either!

Start a new diet and fitness plan tomorrow. Pretty pumped about it and looking to shed around 10-20 lbs over the next 3 months. Doesn't seem to hard to stick to either!

Would love the details. PM me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll forward you the workout plan tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back