2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if my knees can handle running so I did three miles after dinner. So far so good.

I'm making the decision to improve my health starting today. I don't believe that my golf game is being negatively affected in a major way necessarily. I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life and I cannot continue down this path any longer. This is all about me being able to live a long healthy life for my family. TheGauntlet is my driving force over the next 90 days and that will be the perfect jumping off point to get this train rolling.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

Looking forward to meeting with you at The Gaunlet to compare notes. If I can do it, anyone can. My new mantra is "Food is fuel, not fill". I went to the store yesterday and bought some shorts a size smaller than my current as incentive.

Well seeing as I didn't get to walk 18 holes yesterday morning (see my rant), we went for a walk yesterday evening - not sure on the distance as I meant to download a GPS app to my phone to try but forgot before we went out - we walked from home to the park, all the way around the park and then back home again

Not quite as far as either of us would have done yesterday had plans not been scuppered but it was good to get out for some fresh air to clear our heads

Curious if my knees can handle running so I did three miles after dinner. So far so good.

Do you run on pavements or grassed areas? I struggle these days with running pavements (so haven't ran a half-marathon for about 12 years now), but grassed areas don't seem to have quite as much impact on my knees so I can do more

Mainly on the roads and sidewalks, but that's a pretty good idea. I'm trying to think of where I could pull that off.

I am seriously so mad that I am sick. I do not want to fall out of this great routine I have going on. I am thinking about doing yoga anyhow. I think T25 might be too intense for my energy level, but yoga shouldn't be bad. I just want to make sure I keep up these good habits. I know I haven't had a ton of progress yet, but I have lost 6lbs and I put on a pair of shorts that previously were too tight on my thighs. Sadly they were my old 'fat' clothes, but hey, it's still progress.

I knew Hawk was working hard but seeing it in person was impressive. Time for me to turn it up another notch for the final push.

I knew Hawk was working hard but seeing it in person was impressive. Time for me to turn it up another notch for the final push.

I feel the same way. Been slacking on my workouts since getting back from vacation. I am out of vacation mode now and its time to get back at it. Had a good workout yesterday and looking forward to hitting the treadmill tonight

I am seriously so mad that I am sick. I do not want to fall out of this great routine I have going on. I am thinking about doing yoga anyhow. I think T25 might be too intense for my energy level, but yoga shouldn't be bad. I just want to make sure I keep up these good habits. I know I haven't had a ton of progress yet, but I have lost 6lbs and I put on a pair of shorts that previously were too tight on my thighs. Sadly they were my old 'fat' clothes, but hey, it's still progress.

6lbs is great progress GG. I've been there. Just hang in there and you'll be back at it. Just a minor roadblock!

Thanks for saying that! I'm still not completely satisfied, but it's close. Just want to power through this last 10lbs or so and hopefully I'll be good to go. You're looking pretty damn good yourself dude!

Crossfit continues to whoop my butt.

Hang squat clean :work up to 3rm 135# pr

Wod
3rft
35 front squats with 16kg kb for round 1 then 12kg for 2 &3
7 pull ups with band
10 hang power cleans at 95#
17:47

I am so out of it now in a good way. If it wasn't close to bedtime I would totes take a nap.

It's tough. I would say that if you at least keep your weight flat until you are better that would be progress because your body will hold on to everything to help heal itself. Sometimes no news (in this case loss) is good news.

I have noticed on my journey that just as important as losing weight when things are good is avoiding blowups when things aren't. Have you tightened your diet up extra during this time to compensate?

Ran three miles. I am surprisingly sore in my quads, calves, and glutes. Maybe using different muscles? I just assumed that the biking would make running a breeze, but I guess not. Knees don't hurt though.

Crossfit continues to whoop my butt.

Hang squat clean :work up to 3rm 135# pr

Wod
3rft
35 front squats with 16kg kb for round 1 then 12kg for 2 &3
7 pull ups with band
10 hang power cleans at 95#
17:47

I am so out of it now in a good way. If it wasn't close to bedtime I would totes take a nap.

I'm absolutely lost with Crossfit Acronyms and WODs. Congratulations on a good workout anyhow.

Today was my first day of switching from a 4 day split to a 3 day push/pull/legs split. Felt like the workout was really effective and should start bringing on some new gains. I'm excited.

Ran three miles. I am surprisingly sore in my quads, calves, and glutes. Maybe using different muscles? I just assumed that the biking would make running a breeze, but I guess not. Knees don't hurt though.
if your knees don't hurt you are doing it right. Try keeping your weight forward and land on your midfoot as opposed to heel toe. It allows the soft tissue to take the brunt rather than your bones and joints. Plus its more efficient.

I'm absolutely lost with Crossfit Acronyms and WODs. Congratulations on a good workout anyhow.

Today was my first day of switching from a 4 day split to a 3 day push/pull/legs split. Felt like the workout was really effective and should start bringing on some new gains. I'm excited.
Switching to new programs is great. A change can really lead to quick gains.

Put in 45 mins on the treadmill tonight. Feels good to be back at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if your knees don't hurt you are doing it right. Try keeping your weight forward and land on your midfoot as opposed to heel toe. It allows the soft tissue to take the brunt rather than your bones and joints. Plus its more efficient.

I actually did a little reading before starting up again and that is exactly what I'm doing. I was pretty flat footed/slappy when I used to run a lot, which probably explains the problems I had. Now to just get the muscles used to it and I'll be fine. I'm going to rest them today and hopefully get back at it tomorrow. I like that it appears I'm getting a bigger calorie burn with the running and god knows I needed a change of pace. I've been pedaling a bike for 6 months now and am just about over it.

I actually did a little reading before starting up again and that is exactly what I'm doing. I was pretty flat footed/slappy when I used to run a lot, which probably explains the problems I had. Now to just get the muscles used to it and I'll be fine. I'm going to rest them today and hopefully get back at it tomorrow. I like that it appears I'm getting a bigger calorie burn with the running and god knows I needed a change of pace. I've been pedaling a bike for 6 months now and am just about over it.
Awesome. Some people can get a bit crazy with the against the grain nature of the forefoot running philosophy and that you need minimalist shoes but i have done perfectly fine with regular shoes. I just like to pretend that I am falling forward and my feel keep churning to catch myself. Keep up the awesome work.

Last night was power cleans - incline bench - fat bar pull ups - and then interval sprints. love it. I think I can feel a difference since I have incorporated the interval sprints. I think it was a smart move.

Body weight chest and back for me. Threw in some kettlebell work for fun

Awesome. Some people can get a bit crazy with the against the grain nature of the forefoot running philosophy and that you need minimalist shoes but i have done perfectly fine with regular shoes. I just like to pretend that I am falling forward and my feel keep churning to catch myself. Keep up the awesome work.

This is awesome advice- you want to feel like your pelvis is ahead of your feet and you form should improve

It's tough. I would say that if you at least keep your weight flat until you are better that would be progress because your body will hold on to everything to help heal itself. Sometimes no news (in this case loss) is good news.

I have noticed on my journey that just as important as losing weight when things are good is avoiding blowups when things aren't. Have you tightened your diet up extra during this time to compensate?

I have stuck to the diet during this, except for some added honey that has gone in my tea to help with my throat. My weight hasn't changed at all. Fortunately, I only missed one day of working out, because I am about go to work out right now. I am feeling a lot better today. I still have a really sore throat, but I can at least speak again, and swallow, so I figure there is no excuse not to sweat too.

JB may have just been trying to be nice (you know, do the good husband thing) but he said yesterday that he can see a noticeable difference in my weight. Whether he was lying or not, it was really nice to hear and I plan to use it as motivation to keep going!

Anyone here have any experience with stronglifts?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have stuck to the diet during this, except for some added honey that has gone in my tea to help with my throat. My weight hasn't changed at all. Fortunately, I only missed one day of working out, because I am about go to work out right now. I am feeling a lot better today. I still have a really sore throat, but I can at least speak again, and swallow, so I figure there is no excuse not to sweat too.

JB may have just been trying to be nice (you know, do the good husband thing) but he said yesterday that he can see a noticeable difference in my weight. Whether he was lying or not, it was really nice to hear and I plan to use it as motivation to keep going!

When you get into a serious routine - body composition changes- which is why I'm sure he notices a difference when you might not see it on the scale. Keep it up GG ! I know you are doing great!

It is a different kind of fitness though Hawk

I used to play 5-a-side football and one week we were short of a player so I invited my sisters (now ex-)husband to play - he cycled about 60-70 miles every week and thought it would be easy, but after 15 minutes you would think he had never exercised in his life he was struggling that much

Afterwards he said he had never expected it to be so tough, so maybe you just need to get used to the change of exercise

Oh for sure. I expect it'll be fine in a week or so. Kind of like him, I just assumed cycling would mean running was easy. Good news is the stamina is there. Just need to get the muscles used to the new routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back