2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another workout done! T25/yoga complete. I am literally dripping right now and it feels great! Today was super hectic and a bit stressful, so I decided to take an hour 'lunch break' and workout.

I've finally come to the realization that my journey to better golf is going to take more than just lessons and practice. I'm going to have to get my body into it to. I've been eating much healthier but no actual workout sessions. So I stoped on my way home and bought some medicine balls and resistance bands. I've also dusted off my Insanity DVDs. I'm going to focus on core strength and flexibility mostly.

The journey starts now.

Last night I went to the gym and hammered out: 5x5 snatch grip high pulls - 4x4 standing barbell push press - 3x6 bent over barbell rows. I polished it off with a 12 minutes of HIIT elliptical work. 46 minutes total from the time I stepped onto the gym floor, including warmup.

Side note: my legs are still sore from Monday's squats and rack deadlifts. No reason to do 18 different leg exercises when two done to the limit get better results.

Plus they hurt my back a lot! The one I can do that isn't so bad is on the stability ball. Where I put the top of my feet on the ball and crunch up towards my face while bracing my body in the air. Here's a pic from google:

knee-tuck-collag%20website%20-%20stability%20ball.jpg

As a means to save your back, have you looked into doing more standing lifts and just bracing your core? In the past, I have spoken with a man who competes on the World's Strongest Man circuits and he does no ab specific work. No crunches and no knee lifts.

Last night I went to the gym and hammered out: 5x5 snatch grip high pulls - 4x4 standing barbell push press - 3x6 bent over barbell rows. I polished it off with a 12 minutes of HIIT elliptical work. 46 minutes total from the time I stepped onto the gym floor, including warmup.

Side note: my legs are still sore from Monday's squats and rack deadlifts. No reason to do 18 different leg exercises when two done to the limit get better results.

Your final comment is the biggest thing I learned when I ran Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 for two years. Training Economy. Unless you are bodybuilding for symmetry etc the big lifts done alot are the best.

Your final comment is the biggest thing I learned when I ran Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 for two years. Training Economy. Unless you are bodybuilding for symmetry and chemically enhancing etc the big lifts done alot are the best.

I added a little something

I added a little something

True this. It is virtually impossible to be a top level pro bodybuilder and be all natural.

As a means to save your back, have you looked into doing more standing lifts and just bracing your core? In the past, I have spoken with a man who competes on the World's Strongest Man circuits and he does no ab specific work. No crunches and no knee lifts.

I don't do much ab work at all. With yoga, and now the T25 its pretty much working your core the entire time, so there is no need to do abs. It allows me to work them without straining my back.

T25 workout complete. I may do the yoga still, depends if I have some extra time later.

Mr. Negative today was not helping me get motivated at all. I was saying how tired I was, but how I planned to do my workout hoping it would get me energized. I said "It's just 25 minutes, I can do 25 minutes." And captain negative responds with "Well, it's not really 25 minutes because you have to add the cool down. And you have been doing 2 workouts a day so it's really twice that amount of time."

Way to be supportive!

T25 workout complete. I may do the yoga still, depends if I have some extra time later.

Mr. Negative today was not helping me get motivated at all. I was saying how tired I was, but how I planned to do my workout hoping it would get me energized. I said "It's just 25 minutes, I can do 25 minutes." And captain negative responds with "Well, it's not really 25 minutes because you have to add the cool down. And you have been doing 2 workouts a day so it's really twice that amount of time."

Way to be supportive!

Mr. Negative was too busy arguing with people on the internet about sports.

Good work tonight.

Snatch grip deadlifts 5x3
Dumbbell Farmers Walk 4 Laps
12 minutes of HIIT elliptical work

So, I'm finding the Insanity workout a little less intresting than the first time I did it. Anyone know how it compares to T25?

So, I'm finding the Insanity workout a little less intresting than the first time I did it. Anyone know how it compares to T25?

In my little experience with Insanity, T25 is definitely less intense because it's only 25 minutes and you only do it 5 days a week, and I believe Insanity was 6 days. I find T25 has kept me interested so far, and the workout flies by, but I am still a hot sweaty mess. I actually look forward to the T25 workout, Insanity I dreaded. Also, there are 3 levels with T25, so I feel like it will keep me interested for a long time.

Way to be supportive!
hahahha

This made me laugh :)

Bump because Blu is a genius

I had a killer work out today. T25 x 2 (because that's what they recommend on Friday's) plus my yoga workout. My legs are like jello.

i hope you all don't mind me posting my workouts everyday, but in a weird way it helps keep me motivated. I feel like posting here is keeping me accountable for my workouts...if that makes sense.

I had a killer work out today. T25 x 2 (because that's what they recommend on Friday's) plus my yoga workout. My legs are like jello.

i hope you all don't mind me posting my workouts everyday, but in a weird way it helps keep me motivated. I feel like posting here is keeping me accountable for my workouts...if that makes sense.

Great work! Love to hear the progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're moved into our new home/location so come Monday is join the local gym day. I can't wait to get back on schedule and get toned. I had a doctor's appointment last Thursday and she told me it was very important for me to get back in the gym and do some strength training. I have to gear up like a beginner again and get this show on the road. KellyBo is hopping on the train to as her back recovery is coming along very nicely and she will be moving from the physical therapist to the gym.

I'm all in on this new path to healthy... got up at 6am and walked 3 miles. Then I went to Dunkin Donuts drive thru today and turned down the free donut for National donut day. Free and Donut?? Last week I would have made 3 trips thru the drive thru for that offer. (And for what it's worth I got an iced coffee with skim milk and a splenda).

I want to play 36 holes more often this summer in preparation for THP events. My workouts are high rep / light weights so that helps with endurance. I'm not a fan of cardio though so I'll need to work on that and increase stamina.

What do you guys / gals do fitness wise to get ready for playing 36?

3 miles yesterday - starting to feel good running again !

I'm so bummed, I am finally getting into a good workout routine and now I am sick!

So sorry GG! Use it as recovery. Get better soon!

I'm making the decision to improve my health starting today. I don't believe that my golf game is being negatively affected in a major way necessarily. I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life and I cannot continue down this path any longer. This is all about me being able to live a long healthy life for my family. TheGauntlet is my driving force over the next 90 days and that will be the perfect jumping off point to get this train rolling.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

Good for you OH. I have enjoyed my journey and doing 5 days on and 2 days off has proven that I am capable even with the travel schedule.

I'm making the decision to improve my health starting today. I don't believe that my golf game is being negatively affected in a major way necessarily. I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life and I cannot continue down this path any longer. This is all about me being able to live a long healthy life for my family. TheGauntlet is my driving force over the next 90 days and that will be the perfect jumping off point to get this train rolling.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

Good luck bud! Anything we can do to help- we are here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back