2014 Masters Contest & Official THP Thread

Wish they would have show a few more shots for the World's Most Interesting Golfer... but I guess CBS is only concerned with the final two groups.

They did show them finishing and he seemed to have a lot of words with Rickie. Lots of shoulder slaps, vocalizing, nodding....I'm thinking MAJ was impressed and was giving him some good ol' props, and mentoring, perhaps.

Dang fantasy was a good week for me, I think I jumped like 30 spots, I guess that's what happens when you have 1 and 2!

I don't have a link to the numbers, but I was listening to Colin Cowherd over lunch, and he said the ratings numbers for the Masters were down 30% from last year, and the lowest in 10 years. I do not know if that was overall or just for Sunday. I know I saw a report on Friday that Thursday's ratings were down 13%. Not surprised given Tiger's absence, and the reduced drama back nine, but pretty remarkable none the less.

Edit: Business Week says Thursday was down 25% ratings wise and 29% viewer wise via the preliminary Nielsen numbers.

I don't have a link to the numbers, but I was listening to Colin Cowherd over lunch, and he said the ratings numbers for the Masters were down 30% from last year, and the lowest in 10 years. I do not know if that was overall or just for Sunday. I know I saw a report on Friday that Thursday's ratings were down 13%. Not surprised given Tiger's absence, and the reduced drama back nine, but pretty remarkable none the less.

yeah 30 is a big drop thats for sure....the Tiger Effect strikes again

did anybody pick Bubba for this contest?

Edit: Business Week says Thursday was down 25% ratings wise and 29% viewer wise via the preliminary Nielsen numbers.

I think there are a lot of reasons this time. And I will be in the minority and say I think Tiger Woods was only a small portion of it.
Weather. Has kept even casual golfers from playing at all, which diminishes interest in what the pros are doing.
Buzz. The overall lack of buzz heading in. The lack of creativity by the media, and instead dwelled on who wasnt there.
Big name buzz. The lack of big names playing well this year is quite large. Despite what us diehards notice.

I think there are a lot of reasons this time. And I will be in the minority and say I think Tiger Woods was only a small portion of it.
Weather. Has kept even casual golfers from playing at all, which diminishes interest in what the pros are doing.
Buzz. The overall lack of buzz heading in. The lack of creativity by the media, and instead dwelled on who wasnt there.
Big name buzz. The lack of big names playing well this year is quite large. Despite what us diehards notice.

To the point about weather, I think for a lot of areas in the Midwest we had our first 3-day stretch of crazy nice weather 75-85 with no wind from Thursday through Saturday. Because of that I think a lot of people, at least where I live, were out playing golf rather than watching the Master's.

It was a boring ending IMO. I left it on but was busy doing other things. The course was set up too difficult and the greens were ridiculously fast and hard. A bogey shouldn't be an "acceptable" score for the pros. Yet, some holes played that way IMO.

We already have the US Open with it's stupid setup. Let the pros score a little in the Masters. 12-14 under should be your winning score.

Personally set my tee time early to get home and watch. Once I realized that by the back 9 Jordan wasn't catching Bubba, or anyone else for that matter, my attention drifted. I kept it on but was more bc I was Augusta and not because of who was leading.

I disagree with course set up & it's typical of Augusta every year. They set it up as a tough test and I saw no issues.

The set up was difficult, but if it had been rainy and wet, the scores could have been many strokes lower and been right around 10-14 under.

I would have to do a lot of research but don't think the scores were so much higher then average to cause any changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew the ratings would suck, they were talking about that on Wednesday on PGA Tour radio. That's too bad, in my opinion a lot of people missed a great Masters week from start to finish. They're loss, I know that for the hardcore fans of the PGA Tour and the Masters specifically it didn't matter if TW was there or not.

I also heard that badges for the week were selling for as low as $500 on Thursday morning. Before TW announced he wouldn't play they were selling for $5900!!!!

I watched as much coverage as I normally do. It's my favorite tournament of the year. It certainly had a different feel with out TW and it was strange on the weekend without him and Phil. There wasn't much excitement on the back 9 but I still enjoyed the tournament.

I actually enjoyed the fact that Tiger was not involved. I got to see coverage of a lot of guys I have not seen play on a regular basis and the coverage went more in depth those guys. Up until the back 9 on Sunday, there were several guys who had a chance to win and it was fun to watch them.

I actually enjoyed the fact that Tiger was not involved. I got to see coverage of a lot of guys I have not seen play on a regular basis and the coverage went more in depth those guys. Up until the back 9 on Sunday, there were several guys who had a chance to win and it was fun to watch them.

This exactly. Even if this Masters might have lacked the sort of back 9 drama that we love to see, I enjoyed the more general focus on the field this year.

I didnt watch as much as I normally do, but for me it doesnt matter who is playing well or not playing well, its just a beautiful course to watch on TV

Personally set my tee time early to get home and watch. Once I realized that by the back 9 Jordan wasn't catching Bubba, or anyone else for that matter, my attention drifted. I kept it on but was more bc I was Augusta and not because of who was leading.

I disagree with course set up & it's typical of Augusta every year. They set it up as a tough test and I saw no issues.

Same here. When Spieth faded, so did my interest. I also didn't feel ANY emotion when Bubba won. A lot of people on here remarked they had tears in their eye... Not me. Not for Bubba, and I'm a pretty emotional guy!

Same here. When Spieth faded, so did my interest. I also didn't feel ANY emotion when Bubba won. A lot of people on here remarked they had tears in their eye... Not me. Not for Bubba, and I'm a pretty emotional guy!

I've never been one to get emotional (crying, teary eyed, etched.) for sporting accomplishments. I'll get mad or frustrated when a team or player under performs, but never understood the crying. I'm Pretty emotional, but I just don't feel it on that level.

With Bubba I knew what was coming on 18 around hole 10 or 11. Like all the other players that win, their wives/girlfriends will be there with family or kids. So I expected the kid to be there after he won.

WOW I thought they were gold plated not solid gold

Bubba's an emotional guy, wound tightly, but I really love his game. Free flowing and creative. I thought that Speith's play was the most intriguing, this kid has big stones man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back