golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
Who is thinking about joining a local course/club or getting a range pass?

I am thinking about joining a local course for next yr and maybe a range pass.

I have three honest course choices

the top one on my list is probably the nicest and most consistent course of the 3 with nice fairways and greens (18 hole) two practice greens(1 is more set up for chipping and pitching)

the second is a nice course(27 holes) with a great outdoor range(2 putting greens both can be used for chipping and pitching

the third is not in as good of shape fairway wise, greens are always nice, is shorter one practice green but has the bonus of being tied to the range I practice at most and I'd get a 50% off a full range pass.

The price for all the course passes are within a $100 price gap.

I'm also considering a full range pass for unlimited balls at the covered and heated range or the bonus package that covers unlimited lessons as well.

Not sure yet, havent spent enough time in the area to see whats available at a reasonable price. Might not join in 2014 and use that money for lessons this winter, and then maybe in 2015 look for something.

I would definitely be considering it for 2014 if I knew that I was staying in this area. Unfortunately I don't, plus I need to pick up my ski season pass this month. So, not this year.

I'd really like to get a range pass at our new driving range this next summer. That would probably work out for me really well, compared to a membership, in general.

I've been a member at a course the past 2 years.

I'm graduating soon though and I'm not sure where I'm going to be next summer so I don't know if I'm going to renew though.

It was a 27 hole course which is a nice thing. Easy to get out on a quick 9 as it's easier to spread people out and when there are events/tournaments at the course you can still get out and play as 9 of the holes will still be open (or 18 depending on the event)

I'd really like to get a range pass at our new driving range this next summer. That would probably work out for me really well, compared to a membership, in general.

Have Lori get a part-time job there picking up balls and you won't have to pay for it!

Jason, which courses are you looking at?

I love having a membership and will continue mine into 2014. It serves as motivation to get on the course, and it's always nice to not have to hunt for tee times. Also, I get consistent playing conditions, and a quality range area which is awesome to be able to utilize at my leisure without additional fees.

I joined a private club this year and am contemplating giving it up and/or switching to a different club. My commitment period ends in February, so I have a few months to decide.

A range pass would be ideal but most courses in the area do not offer this and are pay per bag.

Have Lori get a part-time job there picking up balls and you won't have to pay for it!

HA!

I've been thinking about joining a course close to here, but I haven't been on the course in about 12 years, and never actually played it. A friend of mine grew up playing it and says it's a really good course. The other advantage is that it does have a pool that my fish of a wife can use all summer. I wouldn't be using it at all, but she can teach the kids to swim at the pool while I'm on the course. Plus it's only $60 a month for a family membership with all the golf and pool we can handle. I like to walk, and it's a walker friendly course, so I wouldn't have to pay for a cart everytime either.

Definitely something but conflicted as to what.

I've currently got a municipal season ticket for 6 courses and membership of an affiliated club.
Because it's a public course, the club only gets limited tee times so competitive play is limited.
But the location is great (5 mins door to tee) and value is second to none. It's also been great to be able to get out for rounds in the morning before work whenever I like.

There is a private club I'm considering that has a course in excellent condition and a lot more competitions but it's twice the cost (still good value) and about half hour away so not sure.

I'll wait till bonus time (March) before actually deciding, ideally I'd keep the season ticket (convenient practice), ditch the current club and join the private (for the facilities and competitions) but ultimately, family budget will define which path...

I've thought about getting a membership somewhere for a few years, but I don't really think I play enough to justify the cost. Cheapest rate in town is $1400 for unlimited golf and carts are extra. Maybe when my son is old enough to play along I can justify a family membership.

Maybe. If I have an extra 1k laying around after bonus time it will be an option I guess. I'd really like to join somewhere with a top-notch practice area.

I get a range membership at my local club every year. It's $300 for all you can hit, all year long. At $10 a bucket, you can break even realy quick and then it starts to pay for itself after that. Once my daughter is old enough, I'll get a full family membership that includes unlimited rounds and range time for $2400.

I'm conflicted on membership. I golf in two leagues during the week. One on Tuesdays with my friends (including my dad), and one on Thursdays with my office (including upper management); neither of which I see as a good decision to quit. Taking two days a week from April though August right out of the possibility of playing at a club, I just don't think it makes sense.

I need to practice more, so maybe I could find a range membership around here, but I just don't know of any at the moment.

Hoping to find a good club here in Louisville for next year. Just dont know which one yet.

Penn Terra: 500 bucks for the bronze for full access but no carts? That seems like a really solid deal.

Is Turtle Creek the nicest of the three?

Penn Terra has trouble with fairways if it gets dry in the summer and is a short course but for 250 more I can get unlimited range balls at the place I take lessons and the range is heated in the winter

Turtle Creek is the nicest of the three condition wise as it was a CC until about 3 yrs ago, unfortunately they tore out the pool for the wife

Beechwood is also nice with 27 holes, original 18 plus 9 that is newer and completely different layout wise

I've had a membership to a course the last 3 years. The last 2 being at the same spot. Not sure if I will return there or not next year. There is a course near me that I'd love to join. Has a nice short game area, and ok range http://www.ballstonspacc.com/. This is the one I am at now http://saratogalakegolf.com/, has a small range and really no short game area. But the people there are always nice to me and I love the layout because it can be played a number of ways.

I would love to be a member of club but with a child in college that is my membership. But my brother belongs to the Grand Geneva in lake geneva, wi. $3000 for unlimited golf on two course with cart and driving range plus discounts of restaurant & pro shop. I get to play under him for $30 off season & $60 in season 18 holes rate. So if I play every weekend it is still cheaper for me to pay.

We always get a family pass at my home local course Renwood. It's fairly inexpensive($900 for myself and my dad for all you can golf, all days of the week) and it's where a bunch of guys that I've played with for a long time play on Sunday mornings and through the week. Otherwise, we usually just book random spots whenever we get the chance using golfnow and whatever else.

None of the courses near me have a range pass deal that I'm aware of. That'd be a sweet if they did though. Chicagoland is usually just over priced and expensive on their golf and ranges.

@golfinff - I'd choose the course with the best conditions, at least a course with good greens. One of my home courses has great fairways, cut well and bent grass. The tee boxes are a little lacking but good enough. The greens is where they lose me. They cut them pretty tight but they don't roll them and by the afternoon the ball looks like it's in a pinball machine. Coupled with nobody repairing ball marks adequately, even as cheap as the membership is, I wasn't going to renew. Just my 2 cents.

I opted to join a private club for the remainder of this year and for the forseeable future. Great practice facility, course is beautiful and just in amazing condition. The kicker is that it's about 13 miles from my house. They have garages that you open and hit out of into the range, with spot heaters, for the winter. That's fantastic and something I will leverage. Thinking practically, however, with the amount of snow in IA that could accumulate I don't know if I'd make the drive out there. That's why I'm tossing around the idea of getting the Golftec indoor practice pass this winter. It's only about 2.5 miles from my house. Hmmmm, still not sure what I want to do.

I would love to get a membership! Hopefully some day. Everywhere around here is upwards of $1k, hard to justify

Derek, maybe I change my last name to Hartmann for a short period to get in on the deal with you and your dad? :)

Don't you get all you can hit for free at Pro Circle? There's a newer place in Grayslake, Chicago Players Club. It has memberships, but REALLY expensive. $600 for 6 months.

@golfinff - I'd choose the course with the best conditions, at least a course with good greens. One of my home courses has great fairways, cut well and bent grass. The tee boxes are a little lacking but good enough. The greens is where they lose me. They cut them pretty tight but they don't roll them and by the afternoon the ball looks like it's in a pinball machine. Coupled with nobody repairing ball marks adequately, even as cheap as the membership is, I wasn't going to renew. Just my 2 cents.

I opted to join a private club for the remainder of this year and for the forseeable future. Great practice facility, course is beautiful and just in amazing condition. The kicker is that it's about 13 miles from my house. They have garages that you open and hit out of into the range, with spot heaters, for the winter. That's fantastic and something I will leverage. Thinking practically, however, with the amount of snow in IA that could accumulate I don't know if I'd make the drive out there. That's why I'm tossing around the idea of getting the Golftec indoor practice pass this winter. It's only about 2.5 miles from my house. Hmmmm, still not sure what I want to do.

none of the courses have bad greens, all roll well and are well maintained every time I've played them. They are all about the same distance from the house.

That golftec deal would be awesome with it being only 2.5 miles from the house, the use of video and LM would be hugely beneficial to my game, plus if you get to really know the guys/gals working there you could pic up some great pointers.

I am in the same predicament with finding a Private Club to join. For the past two years I was a memeber at Prestwick CC, however found the range inadequate and the course kept up less than standard.

I have been looking at Firestone CC, as it is basically in my backyard, but am having a hard time talking the wife into. The range alone is crazy, not to mention having and additional 3 (18's).

Needless to say I will be purchasing a range pass or membership in 2014.

Back