none of the courses have bad greens, all roll well and are well maintained every time I've played them. They are all about the same distance from the house.

That golftec deal would be awesome with it being only 2.5 miles from the house, the use of video and LM would be hugely beneficial to my game, plus if you get to really know the guys/gals working there you could pic up some great pointers.
That's good! So it is a pretty hard decision for you. I'd probably choose the course with the least amount of traffic. I hate when the course is closed due to outings or tournaments. However, my 27 hole course keeps 9 holes open during outings - there's one perk. Once you get a membership you'll see yourself playing the course more than utilizing the range. That's just me of course though. I like practicing on the course more.

I've had a membership to a course the last 3 years. The last 2 being at the same spot. Not sure if I will return there or not next year. There is a course near me that I'd love to join. Has a nice short game area, and ok range http://www.ballstonspacc.com/. This is the one I am at now http://saratogalakegolf.com/, has a small range and really no short game area. But the people there are always nice to me and I love the layout because it can be played a number of ways.
I've played Ballston Spa CC twice and loved it both times. I score way better on the front than the back. I even eagled the 8th hole the first time I played there. I took a picture of the 17th green and uploaded it to the Capital One website and it is now the background of the credit card.

Maybe their Single A membership would work for me? Hmmm....

That's good! So it is a pretty hard decision for you. I'd probably choose the course with the least amount of traffic. I hate when the course is closed due to outings or tournaments. However, my 27 hole course keeps 9 holes open during outings - there's one perk. Once you get a membership you'll see yourself playing the course more than utilizing the range. That's just me of course though. I like practicing on the course more.

It's a tough call in all honesty cause they all have their perks and downsides.

I'm leaning toward the 27 hole track Beechwood cause even with leagues I can still get in 18 in the evening, i have played 2 of the 3 on a weekend morning and they are busy courses. I do play more during the week than on weekends FF's schedules are awesome for that :D so weekend play is not as much of a concern.

I'm really torn cause I don't know exactly what's going on for my extra work next yr and do not want to get a membership and not get the rounds in but I also feel as if I have a membership I'll be more likely to play 9 instead of 18 and will force myself to go play more cause I have spent the money.

If budget permits I'd like to get myself a membership at a second course. The one I'm member at now is ok, but quality of the course isn't very good, we have maybe 15 players under 12.5 handicap and over 75% is 55 or older.

I have two courses I'm looking at, both would cost me over €125/month in fees. And as I'm starting a new company I'm kind of out of budget ;)

If I do join this year it would be to my home courses that I play now. $2000/yr to play both Heritage at Westmoor and Legacy Ridge which are both very nice public courses minutes from my place. I will see how many rounds I played at them at the end of the year and do the math to see if its a deal. I like playing around the area at other courses and would probably feel tied down to just these two courses if I do join.

I am in the same predicament with finding a Private Club to join. For the past two years I was a memeber at Prestwick CC, however found the range inadequate and the course kept up less than standard.

I have been looking at Firestone CC, as it is basically in my backyard, but am having a hard time talking the wife into. The range alone is crazy, not to mention having and additional 3 (18's).

Needless to say I will be purchasing a range pass or membership in 2014.

Firestone would be sweet to belong to

I'm currently a member at a private course and am likely going to continue for another season. Although a second kid on the way means a huge increase in day care costs next year, it has brought me to a cross roads of sorts. If I don't remain a member of a private course, I doubt I will golf all that much and it will likely be a few years before I start taking the same seriously again. Really, I'd rather continue improving (albeit slowly)and get my rounds in during the week. They have a great set up that Doak ranked one of the best nine hole courses in the world, which was designed by Hugh Wilson, so I enjoy the layout a lot and it's a great walking course. I believe they have a weekday membership, so that will save me money as well.

No crowds, great conditions at a layout I like a lot is enough for me to stay there. I'll take lessons through the winter to really work on my swing and continue that through next season and re evaluate everything this time next year.

I am in the same predicament with finding a Private Club to join. For the past two years I was a memeber at Prestwick CC, however found the range inadequate and the course kept up less than standard.

I have been looking at Firestone CC, as it is basically in my backyard, but am having a hard time talking the wife into. The range alone is crazy, not to mention having and additional 3 (18's).

Needless to say I will be purchasing a range pass or membership in 2014.
mmaynard11,
A CC to check out in your area is Sharon CC in Medina county. About 2 miles south of rt18 close to Coply. My Dad was a long time member (pasted away this winter) and I have played the course my whole life. I live in Columbus so I can't join. Just a wonderful course. Only problem it is a Mens only club so I don't know if would work for you.

I face a similar choice.

Option A) 9 holes, Probably going to be $700 a year. Practice green, driving range (unlimited would be another 200 bucks). Best shape fairways and greens, all season long

Option B) 18 holes, $600 a year. No practice facility. Challenging course, lots of elevation and tricky greens. Fairways and greens shape varies over the season.

Option C) 18 holes, the nicest course in the area, cost will probably be around $1200. City owned and operated, if we have flooding the course is in major problems.

Option A is where I used to play, where my old playing partner still wants to get a membership. Option B is where a guy wants me to play weekly league. Option C is the "premier" course in the city, but has been struggling to rebuild and only this year reopened after almost 2 years due to flood damage/rebuilding.

Renewal for my home course comes due in April 2014... rejoining is a given. Renewal for the JBLM 2 courses comes due next month... probably also a given. Since I'll go south for the winter, I will look for short term deals in Mesa, AZ. Either way, I loose 6 months of play in each location... but I'm addicted.

I am on my 3rd year at my club at $225 a month and $13 cart fee. No food charges so that is a plus but the restaurant is only open a few weekends a month and thats my gripe. I have a very private club 15 minutes from my house that defiantly has it all. Pool, great restaurant and a very nice range but has a $2000 initiation and $400 a month dues +food charge. I am thinking hard about this one but the cost is a tough one...

I'd really like to join a club. One in particular is very enticing except that it is on the other side of town. Realistically, that probably makes it a no-go.

If happened to get selected to for a club testing or the MC I'm pretty certain I'll (at least) buy a range pass at the better practice facility near me and really get my money's worth out of it.

HA!

I've been thinking about joining a course close to here, but I haven't been on the course in about 12 years, and never actually played it. A friend of mine grew up playing it and says it's a really good course. The other advantage is that it does have a pool that my fish of a wife can use all summer. I wouldn't be using it at all, but she can teach the kids to swim at the pool while I'm on the course. Plus it's only $60 a month for a family membership with all the golf and pool we can handle. I like to walk, and it's a walker friendly course, so I wouldn't have to pay for a cart everytime either.

Sounds reasonable. What course is it? Just going to leave me in the dark like that? Sheesh...

I would like to join a course but like most people I cannot justify it. Most of the private clubs in KC have hefty initiation fees and then add on a chunk additional per month. Some have discounts for "junior memberships" ie people under 40 but even those I can't afford. The public courses have all you can play passes with range included but even those are over 2K in most cases each year.

Maybe one of these days...

I'm definitely getting another pass for the driving range and par-29 course near my house. Having privileges to walk onto the range or ask for a tee time at any time was great this year and really helped my game. Should be about $400 unless they really jack up the rates.

I joined a private club this year and am contemplating giving it up and/or switching to a different club. My commitment period ends in February, so I have a few months to decide.

A range pass would be ideal but most courses in the area do not offer this and are pay per bag.

I'm in the same boat. I can leave in January and was about 100% sure I was going to walk away, but an acquaintance of mine just joined, and another really good friend of mine might be joining soon as well, sand if he uses me as a reference I'll get like a 20% discount for 12 months so that might entice me to stay a bit longer.

I shall be renewing my membership in 2014, yes. I get NCGA membership and huge green fee discounts, so it's a no brainer.

I'm thinking about switching clubs next year. I joined at a 9 hole muni this year because it was the cheapest option for me to play a lot of golf this summer.
I played at the "nice" course here in town last weekend, and it was still in immaculate shape. It's really got me wanting to pony up the extra money for it next year.

Either I am not up to speed on membership options or I need to move to another part of the country.

Either I am not up to speed on membership options or I need to move to another part of the country.

I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the dues were when I finally looked into joining a club. Then again, I play a LOT so maybe it wouldn't be worth it if you are only playing a couple times a month. In any urban areas in Florida, there are plenty if clubs/courses that have great deals for avid golfers with a reasonable income. At my club I know a guy who signed up for $175/month and they threw in 20 free cart fees and a bunch if free guest passes. It's less than I'm paying but I think they're putting on a big push to increase membership lately, even more so than when I joined less than a year ago.

There are always the more exclusive clubs, mostly equity ones, that are a costlier venture, but I don't know that I'm missing all that much. I rarely have issues with slow play and can always get on the course if I forget to make a tee time.

I'll probably renew my range pass, but I'm not in a position to get a membership anywhere. I would love to a membership somewhere and there are lot of great options in Indy, but right now its just not in the cards.

I had a green fee membership at two courses this year, but will drop the nicer of the two due to having twins this year. The one I'll stay at is a half mile from my house and is much cheaper.

I'll definitely be getting a 2014 membership somewhere, my big questions are two. First, whether to change my home course or not. There are other, better courses in the area, but instead of a 2 minute drive, they're 25 away. Plus I really enjoy riding my bicycle to the course most days. The other question is, do I get a range membership on top? It's somewhere around 120 bucks for the year, but I know if I got it I'd hit a bucket of balls 5-6 times a week. On the other hand, my range at my current course is terrible, and the range at the place I'd switch to first is 100 bucks plus 2 per bucket (normally 6 per).

We'll keep doing what we have the past couple of years. Jacqui will be working at our course so she plays for free. I will probably open on Sundays again so I will play free, too.

Back