I'm planning on a membership next year. I can join the local Elks CC for $418.70 as a new member that hasn't been a member for the last two seasons. Cart is not included but it's not a bad course to walk. It's a 9-hole course and only $19 per 9. After doing the math it'll only take me 22 outings to break even. With more than 22 weeks in the season, I could easily do that even thought I'd like to be able to play 2-3 times a week. I played that course 14 times so far this year and that was with about a month in June/July and another 3 weeks in September without playing there.

@dpgator - are those CCs, semi privates or muni's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It's a completely private club that is owned/managed by a national company called ClubCorp. They own at least a couple hundred places around the country, mostly in urban areas but not exclusively.

Some of their clubs are semi private or have optioned out some tee times to online places but so far mine has remained pretty hard to get on aside from a couple of charity events throughout the year.

I have 2 memberships that I will continue next year, both are the same price and give me access to 3 different local courses. 1 by my house and 2 near my work, 1 of which is right across the street from my work. I plan on keeping both of them, mainly because of the convenience.

At all 3 of them, I can walk rounds for no additional cost, and both memberships are very reasonably priced, I pay around $1500 a year for both of them.

I am getting a membership this year. Promotion at work comes with a health sending account. So that covers golf memberships and equipment as well. After paying my benefits and such I am left with about 2600$ to play with!!

I will probably do just a social membership at a couple places next year. Hoping to shoot for a membership somewhere in 2015, but I'll be saving money for some hopeful THP related travel next year.

Why's this???
Because I have hunted for a CC and found nothing even remotely close to these prices. The lowest initial fees are about 5k to 7k (and those may not even be the desirable places); with one exception monthly dues are in the $500 a month range; all but one have a food and beverage on top of that, say $150 to $200 quarterly.

Some public courses have membership card programs where you pay a fee of maybe a couple hundred a year in order to get preferred tee times and say $20 off greens fees, or reduced greens fees but only during particular hours.

And remember, this is Oregon where a course can be virtually unplayable in the winter, or cold and wet enough that you don't have year round golf.

mmaynard11,
A CC to check out in your area is Sharon CC in Medina county. About 2 miles south of rt18 close to Coply. My Dad was a long time member (pasted away this winter) and I have played the course my whole life. I live in Columbus so I can't join. Just a wonderful course. Only problem it is a Mens only club so I don't know if would work for you.

Thanks RobPam. I have never heard about that GC. Will definitely look into it. Sorry about your father.

Because I have hunted for a CC and found nothing even remotely close to these prices. The lowest initial fees are about 5k to 7k (and those may not even be the desirable places); with one exception monthly dues are in the $500 a month range; all but one have a food and beverage on top of that, say $150 to $200 quarterly.

Some public courses have membership card programs where you pay a fee of maybe a couple hundred a year in order to get preferred tee times and say $20 off greens fees, or reduced greens fees but only during particular hours.

And remember, this is Oregon where a course can be virtually unplayable in the winter, or cold and wet enough that you don't have year round golf.

Ok, I know I for one am not talking about joining a private club. I can't afford it, plus all the ones close to me with 1 exception are 45 mins or further away. If I join it will be a privately held open to the public course.

We have the same problem here in the winter for at least a couple months.

Sounds reasonable. What course is it? Just going to leave me in the dark like that? Sheesh...

Ha! It's Liberty Hills. New management took over after they lost money the last couple of years. They also lost their clubhouse last year - arson - but for $60 a month for the fam damily, I think it's a pretty good deal. Wanna get up there and play it at some point, if I can get on, and see how the condition is. A friend of mine grew up on the course and learned to play on it. He says it's a pretty good course = challenging as well, but not the longest. The only drawback is that it's about 25 minutes form me, so that makes heading up to the range for a quick practice session kind of out of the question. Not that I get to do that too often. Another thing I like is that it's the whole family, so I can take Colin up there and play until he gets tired, and I haven't lost some of my green fee.

Thanks RobPam. I have never heard about that GC. Will definitely look into it. Sorry about your father.
Address for Sharon GC is 6261 Ridge Rd, Sharon Center, OH 44281

Address for Sharon GC is 6261 Ridge Rd, Sharon Center, OH 44281

Hey man u should join us when we play in Columbus on the 26th..got a ton of thpers

I've played Ballston Spa CC twice and loved it both times. I score way better on the front than the back. I even eagled the 8th hole the first time I played there. I took a picture of the 17th green and uploaded it to the Capital One website and it is now the background of the credit card.

Maybe their Single A membership would work for me? Hmmm....

thing that kills me is that I have to get the family membership. Their single A membership isn't a bad price.

Ha! It's Liberty Hills. New management took over after they lost money the last couple of years. They also lost their clubhouse last year - arson - but for $60 a month for the fam damily, I think it's a pretty good deal. Wanna get up there and play it at some point, if I can get on, and see how the condition is. A friend of mine grew up on the course and learned to play on it. He says it's a pretty good course = challenging as well, but not the longest. The only drawback is that it's about 25 minutes form me, so that makes heading up to the range for a quick practice session kind of out of the question. Not that I get to do that too often. Another thing I like is that it's the whole family, so I can take Colin up there and play until he gets tired, and I haven't lost some of my green fee.

Never played it, although I know it exists. Who's managing Liberty Hills now?

Never played it, although I know it exists. Who's managing Liberty Hills now?

Great Life Golf. They also manage Staley Farms, Golf Club of Kansas and River Oaks.

Great Life Golf. They also manage Staley Farms, Golf Club of Kansas and River Oaks.

I'm shocked to see that they are managing The Golf Club of Kansas. I would have never guessed the group that built that would EVER go for a management company...EVER. That's really surprising to me.

Both them and Staley Farms shocked me. But Staley was asking way too muh for membership for where they are located. I have not been to Golf Club of Kansas so I don't know what the facility is like, although I've heard it's tough and the people who built it were very proud of it.

Both them and Staley Farms shocked me. But Staley was asking way too muh for membership for where they are located. I have not been to Golf Club of Kansas so I don't know what the facility is like, although I've heard it's tough and the people who built it were very proud of it.

I played Staley once before the clubhouse was open, its greens were crazy. Other than that it was a good facility. I've only played GC of Kansas once and I enjoyed it. They are VERY proud of the course, it is very nice though, some really well designed holes. Tough when the wind blows.

Who is thinking about joining a local course/club or getting a range pass?

I am thinking about joining a local course for next yr and maybe a range pass.

I have three honest course choices

the top one on my list is probably the nicest and most consistent course of the 3 with nice fairways and greens (18 hole) two practice greens(1 is more set up for chipping and pitching)

the second is a nice course(27 holes) with a great outdoor range(2 putting greens both can be used for chipping and pitching

the third is not in as good of shape fairway wise, greens are always nice, is shorter one practice green but has the bonus of being tied to the range I practice at most and I'd get a 50% off a full range pass.

The price for all the course passes are within a $100 price gap.

I'm also considering a full range pass for unlimited balls at the covered and heated range or the bonus package that covers unlimited lessons as well.

I think Beechwood is far and away the best of the choices.

I think Beechwood is far and away the best of the choices.

This is the way i'm leaning, played there today and the lay out leads to so many options to play it.

This is the way i'm leaning, played there today and the lay out leads to so many options to play it.

I think Penn Terra is terrible and would eliminate that one first. The other two are decent. What about Miami Valley GC? They are looking for members. It's more than the other choices but it's a wonderful golf course.

Anyone up here in northeast ohio know of any solid deals??

Anyone up here in northeast ohio know of any solid deals??

Medina CC had a crazy deal goin last year. $4,000 for the year with access to Shale Creek and The Quarry

Back