2014 THP Bridgestone Championship - PGA National

Heres some random thoughts.

1. This event may have been the most awesome group of THPERS at any event EVER!
2. There were lots of moaning and groaning early on the range Saturday.
3. Ddec almost killed 3 people chipping balls on Saturday and proceeded to actually lose a ball on the practice area.
4. Im a big Jman fan, its kinda crazy how similar we are (outside of golf skills)
5. A huge thanks to JB for finally getting around to leaving us the hybrid on the back 9....in pieces
6. The Bear Trap game room was pretty freaking sweet and perfect for something like this.
7. THPERS continue to outkick their coverage
8. Any word on Ocarrol and ShaneP's final hotel bill?
9. The swimming pool is 111 yards from the left side traps on 18 on the Champions course.
10. Im ready for next year!

+1 my hybrid needs regripped due to all of the usage this weekend
They ran out of paper printing it. To be continued....

Im on a roll...

1. Tpluff hits it far and straight, just wasnt fair.
2. And while Im on that subject there were some long hitters in this group of 40 which was cool to see.
3. I dont think CJ stopped smiling all weekend.
4. I delivered grilled cheeses for all like a BOSS, probably my highlight of the week.
5. People seemed to really enjoy the 18% gratuity
6. Its humerous how much better dean hits my irons than his

Heres some random thoughts.

1. This event may have been the most awesome group of THPERS at any event EVER!
2. There were lots of moaning and groaning early on the range Saturday.
3. Ddec almost killed 3 people chipping balls on Saturday and proceeded to actually lose a ball on the practice area.
4. Im a big Jman fan, its kinda crazy how similar we are (outside of golf skills)
5. A huge thanks to JB for finally getting around to leaving us the hybrid on the back 9....in pieces
6. The Bear Trap game room was pretty freaking sweet and perfect for something like this.
7. THPERS continue to outkick their coverage
8. Any word on Ocarrol and ShaneP's final hotel bill?
9. The swimming pool is 111 yards from the left side traps on 18 on the Champions course.
10. Im ready for next year!

+1 my hybrid needs regripped due to all of the usage this weekend

Totally agree with #1 (but since it was my first one the EVER loses a little emphasis)

And #7 gives me hope

2014 THP Bridgestone Championship - PGA National

Im on a roll...

3. I dont think CJ stopped smiling all weekend.

#1 tee Champions course (with what seemed like the planet watching)

"Hawk said this is gonna be fun....I'm not having fun... Hawk this is NOT fun...!!!"

I was shaking so bad...

#7 continues to blow me away. Unreal.

Back at work. I miss everyone. That's all.

Just sitting at work and thought I would share some thoughts on this weekend.

- Massive thanks to JB, GG and MD...these events just get better and better and I can't explain how much THP has changed my "golf life." I am forever grateful.

- The meet n greet Friday was perfect. I really enjoy these on the first night of events, its a great time to get reacquainted with old friends and make new friends before any tee is in the ground. The game room was perfect for this IMO. Seeing my old King teammates golf4life and sposey sure brought back some memories from April. e1literate look me up if you are in Knoxville and I'll do the same if I find myself in Nashville.

- I appreciate my playing partners putting up with my horrific front nine on Saturday, it was a pleasure to meet mancest and pudge and play golf with them for the first time and since gregdan was in my group for my first ever THP event it was pretty cool to tee it up with him again. I was going to try to win my dollar back but thankful I didn't try considering my results on the par 3's.

- Hawk, thanks again for recommending a dinner spot for Saturday. Food, service and atmosphere was great and I think my wife really enjoyed it.

- Canadan hits it far. No matter how the 4 of us played Sunday it is always a pleasure to watch someone who hits it pure.

- Another congrats to Alex Pluffington...heck of a round Sunday. Be proud of that!

- It's hot in Florida. Even in October (basically). More power to anyone who wants to live there, I can't handle it.

- If someone could find a way to eliminate group billing issues at resorts they would become a bazillionaire. Thanks for your work mikedean.

- #outingapproved

I wont try to name everyone I met or got to see again but just know it was a pleasure and I can't wait to do it again in 2015.

Yes....I sure did.

Has she proposed yet?

Hahaha nope! I think it will be me who has to do it, and probably sooner rather than later. She really enjoyed meeting you and the others this weekend

Hahaha nope! I think it will be me who has to do it, and probably sooner rather than later. She really enjoyed meeting you and the others this weekend

So she wasn't sarcastic when she asked when I was coming to KC? Haha she was as awesome as anyone down there, glad she and the other SO's enjoyed themselves.

It's gonna be an unproductive day at work, so I thought I'd throw out a little recap.

I got in Thursday night and was able to hang out with a bunch of people in the game room. Milehigh had a beer waiting for me and I met a bunch of guys I had not yet had the pleasure of hanging out with before, including my partner for the weekend, Brian (chosen1). Right off the bat I knew it was gonna be a fun weekend, as Brian is a real laid back fun guy and everyone else also seemed like they were there to have a blast. After schooling everyone in foosball, I shacked up with Milehigh, who really likes to sing while he's sleeping. I was so tired it didn't matter and before I knew it, was out on the course early Friday a.m., ready to start swinging. I ended up having so much fun the first round that when it was suggested we do a second 18, I jumped at the chance. It was my first time meeting and playing with any of these folks, and honestly I had a blast and immediately felt comfortable with them. It was an awesome first day of golf with great guys for sure. Thanks again for it.

Friday night was the meet and greet with even more people starting to show up. I played ping pong for the first time in like 15 years and had a nice battle with Jank going on. Before I knew it, it was starting to get late and O'Carroll suggests the iBar for "one last drink." We got a bunch of guys up there and one drink turned into a few more hours of real good times, with the cleaning crew eventually getting their vacuums aggressively close to us, I guess as a not so subtle message it was time to leave.

Saturday a.m. was all business with getting breakfast and warming up at the range. I had tunnel vision and tried to ignore the very nice pro shop, locker room and clubhouse because I wanted to focus on the round ahead of me. I had a few personal THP golf related goals to take care of. I warmed up at the range and from the 36 holes on Friday, the swing felt great and I liked what I was seeing. As we were the last group to tee off and because of the heat, I decided to stop hitting and instead walked around the range, hanging out with the guys and watching some of them bomb the hell out of the range. Then it was off the first tee to watch the opening groups head out.

Brian and I were paired up with J4U and TBD, who were awesome to play with. Both of them crush the ball and are as cool as cucumbers. I really enjoyed playing with both of them and if you ever get the chance, take it immediately. It was also the first time I played with music and I have to say I'm a fan. I striped my first tee shot which is kind of an accomplishment compared to other outings. Goal wise, I just wanted to show up, play well, contribute and make sure everyone in my foursome enjoyed themselves. I think all of those were accomplished and I was happy with how I played, avoiding any triples and making a lot of pars. It was a hot, long round, so we all ended up quickly heading into the A/C and then I got some time in at the pool.

Saturday dinner was classic. CJ wanted to go to Buffalo Wild Wings, so me and jlukes ended up going with him and his better half. And it didn't disappoint, as I don't think I've laughed harder than that since the last time I hung out with him in OC at Shenanigan's. First thing he tells the waitress is he's from the health department and isn't taking any questions from her. When the waitress suggested he get the large order and he went into a tirade about how she was picking on him, assuming because he was big he wanted the large and wanted to eat all the wings in the restaurant so there weren't any for anyone else, my stomach started hurting from all the laughing. I tried to keep up by asking if I could go in the kitchen to watch the cook prepare my quesadilla in traditional Irish style, but it was CJ's show all the way. More hanging out with everyone once we got back, but I ducked out a little early to get some sleep. I was bear hunting the next day.

More to come later.

I better get an invite to the wedding :D

Recap time

First and foremost a huge thank you to Bridgestone Golf and JB, Morgan, Mike and all of the THP staff for making this awesome weekend possible. Great job everyone.

My trip began Thursday morning as I headed south to Orlando for an overnight stay at the house my BIL & sister own, it is the house he grew up in and is used as a place to stay when any of the family is in the Orlando area. I decided to break the trip into a 6 hour drive and then a 2-1/4 hour drive to PGA National & I was especially glad I did for the return trip. My buddy Sox Fan and his family were leaving Thomasville after his daugher finished school on Thursday so I invited them to spend the night and then head on down on Friday. It was great having them there and as always I enjoyed catching up with Scott.

Friday morning I headed down to PGA National & a 11:38 tee time. I arrived at 10 a.m. So I decided to see if my room was ready before heading to the course. Sure enough it was and just as the clerk was finishing up checking me in, I had a tap on my shoulder and my roommate and fellow Old Coot (v.man) was standing there to see if he could check-in. Great timing. After getting everything in our room and settling in somewhat we decided to head down to the course as we had about 45/50 minutes before our tee time. After the most confusing check-in at a course ever we were told our group was teeing off at 11:04, we were carted to the tee with an attendant to follow with our clubs. At the tee we were told our tee time was 11:24 and there was no Rob (CAA_Beat) or Roger (mancest) so we were in a slight panic. They did arrive just as we were to tee off and our clubs just made it too. No warm up and we were off. With all of the morning rain it was cart path only so the scores were not too great, maybe not too good even. It was exhausting in the humidity and wet conditions but I don't think any of us would have changed a thing, some new friendship were formed and I will gladly tee it up with any and all of my group again. I already knew Ken quite well and now count Roger and Rob as great THP brothers. What a fun round under less than desirable conditions.

After cleaning up and heading down to the iBar we found it already full of about 20 THPers. As I told my playing group Sunday I have been to many of THP's official and unofficial gatherings and I get to see old friends, make new friends and sometimes even make new friends two or three times, my memory is not what it used to be. Rob, Roger, Ken, Scott and his bride Karen headed to Rocco Taco's then back to the Bear Trap Room for the meet and greet. Talked with lots of folks and there were lots of handshakes and bro hugs, just so good to see everyone laughing and getting to know each other or catching up on things with old friends. Lots of talk and thoughts for our MIA golfers Rambler and dhartman34, just know that y'all were missed by all.

Saturday's round was with three fantastic guys, my teammate Jank (Jacob), then the team of jlukes & Martsy (Joe & Jeff) all of those guys could get it out there pretty good and everyone was able to contribute to some pretty solid team rounds. Jacob and I will always remember the first par 3 on the back side, he posted a double and I made my only triple of the weekend. 5 strokes over on one hole was huge and pretty much crashed #JankDaddy for the championship. We had a blast and everyone gave it their all, just solid THP fun.

To be continued.....

I was very tired after that round and after a shower, Ken and I decided to head out for supper. We made a stop at the Publix and ran into J4U (Doug) and his fiance Tera and MileHighGolfer (Randy) they recommended an Italian restaurant, Pronti's. Great recommendation. It is about 4 miles from the resort and I do recommend it to fans of Italian food. I decided to skip the Bear Trap and just hydrate and rest for Sunday's round. Wish I had felt better as I really missed seeing everyone.

Sunday morning was electric as everyone was anticipating the Champions Course and of course The Bear Trap. Jacob and I were as ready as we could be. We were paired with e1iterate and sposey90210 (Mike & Shane) two awesome guys. Lots of great shots again and much friendly banter made for a great day. Jank got off to a great start and I think I contributed on 2 holes on the front. We made the turn at -3. Jank birdied the 10th and then we both doubled 2 holes in a row, and it was then a day of 73 (+1) and what might have been. We never got down on ourselves and kept plugging away but the double hole disaster was just too much to over come. Both teams played through The Bear Trap pretty well. Then to the finishing hole and back to the club house. JB asked what what we shot and when I told him he said that is really good. I asked if it was going to get an #OutingApproved shirt and he said yes, my day was made.

Excellent food, lots of good talk, the trophy presentation (a huge congratulations to Alex Pluffington, ESQ, well done Alex & Tyler) then it was time for my good byes. The trip home was just like the trip down in reverse except for a hard rain for about 4 hours of the trip on Monday. People just don't understand when I tell them I am heading out for a trip with other golfers that I met on the internet, they don't get the family that is THP. I love you each and every one.

10384906_10202883174057203_8905893256248669035_n.jpg

Last edited:
A Rookie's random thoughts:
1. THP is AWESOME!!
2. Sparks is a GREAT guy/ golfer/ partner.
3. Cograts Tyler and Alex well done!!
4. "Let's go to Publix and get some Shiner" - Great Idea!!!
5. "Let's go to Publix and get MORE shiner"- not so great idea!!
6. Saturday round w/ GregDan and Mancest was a lot of fun. Mancest making all the holes look easy!! GregDan didn't play too bad either.
7. If you ever want some alone time on a golf course, just hit a shank ( or seven) people seem to give you some space!! Thanks for not leaving me out there guys..
8. I thought Sparks hit the ball high, til I played w/ Canadan.. OH MY!!!
9. Was a real pleasure watching guys that are good at this silly game hit it!! i.e.canadan GregDan Sparks
10.meeting James and Ryan in the pro shop ( and giving them a ride to the range) was the perfect start to the weekend. These guys are rockstars!!

To be continued:

Just some quick memories here

1. Playing as a 7-some and waiting on the group of 4 ahead of you is awesome
2. CJ's muddy shoes after Friday's round
3. golfing with James is just always fun
4. Cookie yelling at me for not matching
5. dominating the air hockey table against golfergal and mrs golf4life
6. breaking golden tee not once, but twice. Guess I can overpure shots there too.
7. the look on JB's face when he asked me to bring a cup to his room and I showed up with a big tumbler.
8. How much fun my wife has with the 2 ladies mentioned in #5.
9. Seeing a real life ice jacking on the adjacent fairway
10. sposey explaining what it's like to room with pete

much more to come.

Landed this morning and back at office. Kudos to Delta, they took care of me and all my bags arrived with me this morning.

This weekend is going to be hard to recap because it was so awesome. I am sure I will forget many things and I blame that on vodka :)

Trip for me started early Thursday morning. Ron (Lightning Bolt) and I get the same flight for ATL to PBI we had a great visit on the plane. After we arrived we played the Palmer course with Randy and G$$$, although it was very slow and we only played 10 holes, we had a great time. It was my first time meeting G$$$ and he is a great guy.

After we finished playing it was on to Rocco's Taco's (awesome place BTW), my roomie and brother from another mother Pete met us in the parking lot for dinner. Of course at dinner there were many fun stories told and my taste in women was a major topic :p MikeG (Who I have met a couple times and he is an awesome guy) and his lovely wife went to dinner with us. She is just as great as he is and it was a pleasure meeting her, here is example number 1 of THP'er out kicking his coverage :)

After dinner it was on the game room. The game room is awesome. Many games of pool were played and the rumor is MikeG might have lost a couple dollars to an un-named guy :p Again many stories and awesome times shared Thursday night in the game. This was the first time I met Hawk in person and he is also an awesome guy, and it was so much fun watching me and Mrs Hawk kick his azz in Golden tee :) Also here is example number 2 of THP'er out kicking his coverage.

Friday morning we had a 7:32am tee time and that is good and bad, it was good for pace of play, not so good on 3 hours sleep with a hangover. Me and Ron played with Frank and Phil. This was a really fun round. We had a long rain delay but still finished early. I have met both Phil and Frank before and they are both awesome guys. Their ladies our really nice as well. At lunch Friday the infamous pickle caper happened haha. This is example #3 and #4 of THP'er out kicking coverage.

Friday afternoon is a bit of a haze to me but I do remember a nap being involved. Later in the afternoon a few of us went to the crazy Cuban for food. Doug went with us and I got to meet his girl Terra, she is a sweetheart as well and this example number 5 of a THP'er out kicking his coverage.

Friday night almost everyone had made it in, so it was back to the game room. Friday night was awesome. Taylor and his lady were there and she is an awesome girl, we chatted a lot about the bad areas of KC and agreed I would be her adopted big brother. In case you have not guessed this is example #6 of a THP'er out kicking his coverage.

Much more to come.......

Back