Status
Not open for further replies.

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's 2015 and the 2014 thread just won't do. If you want to talk about your journey, please do. If you have questions, please ask.

Yesterday was hit and miss for me. Good workout last night. I worked power snatches up to a heavy double. Then overhead squats to a heavy double.

Hopefully those counter the two donuts I had with my kids in the morning.

#repsforjesus

I started after christmas trying to get a bit healthier, been a bit more careful about eating crap and trying to get in the gym a bit more. I suck at running in the winter because running in the cold sucks. I've gone to the gym a bit more.

Down 11 pounds so far. Wouldn't mind losing about 5 more pounds.

For the last 6 months, I've been working on fitness a lot. Once I hit 40, things started to fall apart on me and before I knew it, I was fat and unhealthy. I've lost all the weight that I needed to lose (30lbs) and I'm now just working on building some size and improving my flexibility.

I've been sore for the past 2 days from Friday's workout:

Everything is 10 reps for last week, with the final set being rest/pause. This simply means that you go to failure on the final set and then rest for 20 seconds only and then go to failure again.

4 sets squats
3 sets one leg presses
3 sets leg extensions
4 sets Romanian deadlifts
3 sets lying leg curls
3 sets of hanging leg raises
3 sets of weighted crunches
3 sets of side planks - 1 minute each

Glad to see you're back bud!

2015 is a new year for this guy. In December my wife and I celebrated 10 years together and over the course of that time I've seen nearly 50 lbs added to the scale. Not good. I grew up really active and played every sport in school and a few in college, but working an office job has made me progressively more lazy over the past decade. When we had our physical exams in October for insurance open enrollment the nurse told me I had borderline high blood pressure and my body fat was way too high. I could see it every time I looked in the mirror too and I didn't like it at all. Time for a change.

My sister-in-law went on a diet last year and dropped 40 lbs (she has 5 kids so there was a lot of left over baby pudge). Another of my wife's sisters went on the diet and lost 20 lbs, too. I decided that I was done being overweight and wanted to get fit again, so I committed to doing the diet. It's a two phase diet, with the first phase being pretty extreme. Basically 2 servings of fruit, 2 servings of select veggies, 2 servings of lean meat (fish, lean beef, or chicken) and at least a gallon of water daily. Not a ton of calories during this first phase but it's essentially a reset of my metabolism, and also a bit of a fast from all the snacking and unhealthy foods I was eating previously.

The first phase is 21 days long then the second phase kicks in with a higher caloric limit (around 1500-1600 calories/day) and an exercise plan. The exercise is open to the individual so I've decided I'm going to start and finish P90X. I say 'finish' because I've owned the program for a couple of years now and have never made it past the first 3 weeks.

I've got a few days left in Phase 1 and so far I'm down 16 lbs. The cravings have subsided some but they are still there. However, I'm encouraged and motivated by the weight loss I've seen so far. I'm starting to get back into clothes that I haven't worn before and it's exciting. I'm actually really looking forward to working out again and continuing this journey. In fact, as additional motivation I signed up to run the Warrior Dash with a buddy of mine in early May.

The grand plan is to get back down to where I weighed when I got married 10 years ago but also to get into really good shape. I'm hoping that this will also translate well into my golf game and help me put up some better scores.

Congrats dude! Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 is a new year for this guy. In December my wife and I celebrated 10 years together and over the course of that time I've seen nearly 50 lbs added to the scale. Not good. I grew up really active and played every sport in school and a few in college, but working an office job has made me progressively more lazy over the past decade. When we had our physical exams in October for insurance open enrollment the nurse told me I had borderline high blood pressure and my body fat was way too high. I could see it every time I looked in the mirror too and I didn't like it at all. Time for a change.

My sister-in-law went on a diet last year and dropped 40 lbs (she has 5 kids so there was a lot of left over baby pudge). Another of my wife's sisters went on the diet and lost 20 lbs, too. I decided that I was done being overweight and wanted to get fit again, so I committed to doing the diet. It's a two phase diet, with the first phase being pretty extreme. Basically 2 servings of fruit, 2 servings of select veggies, 2 servings of lean meat (fish, lean beef, or chicken) and at least a gallon of water daily. Not a ton of calories during this first phase but it's essentially a reset of my metabolism, and also a bit of a fast from all the snacking and unhealthy foods I was eating previously.

The first phase is 21 days long then the second phase kicks in with a higher caloric limit (around 1500-1600 calories/day) and an exercise plan. The exercise is open to the individual so I've decided I'm going to start and finish P90X. I say 'finish' because I've owned the program for a couple of years now and have never made it past the first 3 weeks.

I've got a few days left in Phase 1 and so far I'm down 16 lbs. The cravings have subsided some but they are still there. However, I'm encouraged and motivated by the weight loss I've seen so far. I'm starting to get back into clothes that I haven't worn before and it's exciting. I'm actually really looking forward to working out again and continuing this journey. In fact, as additional motivation I signed up to run the Warrior Dash with a buddy of mine in early May.

The grand plan is to get back down to where I weighed when I got married 10 years ago but also to get into really good shape. I'm hoping that this will also translate well into my golf game and help me put up some better scores.

You didn't mention whether this was a part of the plan, but when I started on the high protein, low carb diet I felt like I was starving until a trainer told me to make sure that I eat something every 3 hours. One I started eating something every 3 hours, the cravings subsided dramatically and my metabolism seemed to sky-rocket and the weight just seemed to start falling off. It was a lifestyle change, for sure.

On day 15 of Whole30 and it is really going well. I haven't had one bit of gas or stomach discomfort until last night and it used to be a daily occurrence. It will be interesting to see the cause when we start reintroducing foods to look for problem areas.

Happy new year, fitness aficionados!
Thanks for the new thread, blugold!

#repsforjesus

I dug out the Power 90 DVD set after cleaning and decided it was time to run through it again, I forgot how quick and easy it is, can't wait to keep it going!

I've been hitting the weights hard the last 2 weeks and my Skiers Edge getting my legs and cardio in shape for an upcoming ski trip Jan. 28th and another one on March 3rd. Weight loss will have to come later when cycling season gets into full gear. The skiers edge is a tough workout - it's difficult to last more than 15 minutes without a break.

[video=youtube_share;01VC-oO8Qm0]http://youtu.be/01VC-oO8Qm0[/video]

One week left of Whole 30. Haven't killed anyone yet, very few cheats, and only occasionally gazing fondly as pastries.

Our first day off from the diet is Super Bowl Sunday. Monday is going to be rough. #CrashAntiDiet

I heart Atkins. I know its not for everyone, but it is for me. Its clear to me processed carbs are like crack to me and my body can't handle them, but veggies it loves and this makes me focus on the veggies...plus bacon...oh god yes bacon.

Down 7 the first week of induction, should drop a couple more next week on the second of induction, then nuts and some berries get added back in and I get my ass into a golf workout.

I heart Atkins. I know its not for everyone, but it is for me. Its clear to me processed carbs are like crack to me and my body can't handle them, but veggies it loves and this makes me focus on the veggies...plus bacon...oh god yes bacon.

Down 7 the first week of induction, should drop a couple more next week on the second of induction, then nuts and some berries get added back in and I get my ass into a golf workout.
Processed carbs are brutal. Processed anything is brutal. The "if it fits your macros." crowd may disagree. But so be it.

Processed carbs are brutal. Processed anything is brutal. The "if it fits your macros." crowd may disagree. But so be it.
Not eating bread or pasta or other crap like that has made me feel great over the last two weeks.

Not eating bread or pasta or other crap like that has made me feel great over the last two weeks.
I would imagine. I like calories. But that's because I'm a dumb grunting powerlifter. Or something like that.

Yep, the energy boost is always great. I dropped 45 lbs doing that, it works. I love those foods, but my body doesn't.

It has been one my struggles as well.. Saying no to processed carbs over the last 5-6 weeks has been huge for me.

Gotten into the habit of preparing foods for each meal for the week ahead of time and getting away from defaulting to processed foods

Feel so much better..

I am down about 16 pounds now. I am not full on atkins, but eating very little carbs (brown rice is about it) and I am feeling great. Still have about 40-50 pounds more to get where I want, but I keep telling myself this is all about a lifestyle change. I don't want to do the yo-yo thing anymore, it has to be about doing it right long term. I am on a good start, but it needs to be a conscious lifestyle change, and I think doing it this way is the best way to do it.

I can't go all the way Atkins, they just don't give you enough carbs if you're trying to build muscle, but South Beach and Mediterranean recipes are awesome.

Having a daughter that is Type 1 diabetic I can say assuredly all carbs are not created equal. Some hit your system much more quickly, others not so much. And depending on your activity level and when you eat them will affect if they get used or stored. Processed ones are the debil.

I started after christmas trying to get a bit healthier, been a bit more careful about eating crap and trying to get in the gym a bit more. I suck at running in the winter because running in the cold sucks. I've gone to the gym a bit more.

Down 11 pounds so far. Wouldn't mind losing about 5 more pounds.

That is great is about losing the weight!

As for running in the winter....I don't remember it being too cold in FL :}

That is great is about losing the weight!

As for running in the winter....I don't remember it being too cold in FL :}
High of 63 tomorrow.... Brrrr

I always run before the sun comes up... I'm a pansy when to comes to cold weather

I want to lose 15lbs...but can't get motivated. I just recently started back on the elliptical three time a week. I also started to do some of the core exercises by Tony Horton. But sadly I need to start watching what I eat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omeWaV3mf6o

I put on a lot of weight this past year but I am back in the gym working out about 3 to 4 times per week. 30 min cardio and 30 min weights etc. No junk food and cut back on carbs. Down 14 lbs with 16 more to go. I am feeling much better.

Not concentrating on anything in particular but I'm sure I could stand to lose a few lbs...
I'm going to throw a few goals in here from time to time so I can kind of keep myself motivated.
Keep it up guys and thanks for the thread!

GOALS
push ups in a minute = 50
sit ups ups in a minute = 50
run at 9 MPH for 1.5 miles
pull-ups = 10

CURRENTLY
push ups in a minute = 33
sit ups ups in a minute = 42
run at 8.3 MPH for 1.25 miles
pull-ups = 6

Status
Not open for further replies.