2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think im visualizing what you mean but to clarify you mean it will be awkward just setting up and finishing?
Depending on the wrap, it may be impossible to get into position.

Keep lifting and look into a modified intermittent fasting meal plan. Adding muscle will automagically start removing fat. The meal plan will accelerate that.
Thanks buddy, dietary focus is more than fine. My diet is definitely not the problem. I want to obviously lose about another 30 pounds, but want to start putting on muscle as well. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think im visualizing what you mean but to clarify you mean it will be awkward just setting up and finishing?
You caught me at a good time with this question because I am at the gym.

This wrap is a Contraband Triple Stripe wrist wrap. It's a weaker wrap and this is as far back as I can get my wrist.

a7cdd18b950559893a66b742304ae4d7.jpg

This is a Contraband Double Stripe. It's a much heavier wrap. Look at how much less I can set my wrists.

c15c3b48617a712917f308012859bc41.jpg

The reality of front squats, other than keeping the wrist joints warm, a wrap will not function as intended and will not support the wrists properly.

So Blu I have some general questions for you. I started at 5'11 276, I am now down to 5'11 216. I want to get somewhere around 185. Should I continue on my lifts, or just do cardio. I have sort of seen mixed things. I don't want to stunt my weight loss, but I am not sure that lifting hard will do that.

Thoughts? Keep it simple for me sir haha
If you get a chance, do a search for Alwyn Cosgroves article The Hierarchy of Fat Loss. He list the priority level of what to do based on the time you have to commit. Basically, 1 and 2 on the list are diet followed by weight training. Cardio was basically last on the priority list.

The weight training should probabably be a lot of super sets. Like 3 sets of 10 squats, immediately followed by a set of 10 push ups. Hit all the basic movements this way (hip hinge, upper body push and pull, squat).

You caught me at a good time with this question because I am at the gym.

This wrap is a Contraband Triple Stripe wrist wrap. It's a weaker wrap and this is as far back as I can get my wrist.

a7cdd18b950559893a66b742304ae4d7.jpg

This is a Contraband Double Stripe. It's a much heavier wrap. Look at how much less I can set my wrists.

c15c3b48617a712917f308012859bc41.jpg

The reality of front squats, other than keeping the wrist joints warm, a wrap will not function as intended and will not support the wrists properly.
Damn you always come through haha thanks for taking the time with those pics dude, they helped a ton. I just don't want to develop any wrist issues you know? Now my program doesn't have me front squatting a ton or for a long time as back squats will eventually pretty much take over but I just mean for now, I want to make sure im not hurting them. They don't hurt afterwards or anything but are a bit sore after racking and resting. Perhaps it's just like anything, it's a new movement / position and I'm adjusting. I've just noticed my legs are fine and I'm comfortably going heavier and heavier but it just seems to add more stress to my wrists. I tried to crossed arms thing and that just feels unstable.

Damn you always come through haha thanks for taking the time with those pics dude, they helped a ton. I just don't want to develop any wrist issues you know? Now my program doesn't have me front squatting a ton or for a long time as back squats will eventually pretty much take over but I just mean for now, I want to make sure im not hurting them. They don't hurt afterwards or anything but are a bit sore after racking and resting. Perhaps it's just like anything, it's a new movement / position and I'm adjusting. I've just noticed my legs are fine and I'm comfortably going heavier and heavier but it just seems to add more stress to my wrists. I tried to crossed arms thing and that just feels unstable.
Do not cross your arms. You may need to widen your grip a little.

Do not cross your arms. You may need to widen your grip a little.
I'll give it a try tomorrow during my workout. Yeah the crossed arms felt sketchy lol like I really didn't have a good hold of it. Wrists under seems much more stable and what I see most other people using but like we're talking about, just seems to stress my wrists. In the event that you do front squat or if you did fronts in the past, did you ever get that feeling? Or were they comfortable for you? Anyone else is welcome to chime in as well as I'm curious.

I'll give it a try tomorrow during my workout. Yeah the crossed arms felt sketchy lol like I really didn't have a good hold of it. Wrists under seems much more stable and what I see most other people using but like we're talking about, just seems to stress my wrists. In the event that you do front squat or if you did fronts in the past, did you ever get that feeling? Or were they comfortable for you? Anyone else is welcome to chime in as well as I'm curious.
I mix in front squats. It's just something you get used to as you go along.

I mix in front squats. It's just something you get used to as you go along.
K. I won't worry about it for now then. Its probably just mobility or weak wrists haha. Nice hitting new things as my body is saying "damn we've never worked that before" lol thanks again man.

K. I won't worry about it for now then. Its probably just mobility or weak wrists haha. Nice hitting new things as my body is saying "damn we've never worked that before" lol thanks again man.
It's a new body position. Ever make a grip change in your golf swing? It felt so wrong, something had to be off. In reality, it's just a position your unfamiliar with.

But now you have an idea why front squats can be problematic.

One thing to add in, and I'm one of the biggest offenders, is to mix in more shoulder mobility prior to front squats. The more you can comfortably elevate your elbows, the less your wrists have to flex to hold a rack position. In addition, the higher your elbows, the better you can brace against any tendency to let the weight pitch forward at the bottom of the front squat.

At 10% BF he has more than enough room to grow.

Boarderline ideal

Ya I don't really see my BF% dropping much as I'm not really much for altering my diet and I enjoy my craft beers( the best calories,lol) but I'm always open to new training ideas.

When I lift on my own I typically work 2 muscle groups, say chest and back, I pick 2-3 work outs per muscle group and then super set a core workout (planks, leg lifts, oblique twist landmines, etc) with a 60 sec break in between each set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya I don't really see my BF% dropping much as I'm not really much for altering my diet and I enjoy my craft beers( the best calories,lol) but I'm always open to new training ideas.

When I lift on my own I typically work 2 muscle groups, say chest and back, I pick 2-3 work outs per muscle group and then super set a core workout (planks, leg lifts, oblique twist landmines, etc) with a 60 sec break in between each set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I mentioned your body fat percentage, I meant that it could go up. If you want to get pretty darn strong over a few months. You,could put on 40lbs of body weight and a ton of weight on the bar.

It's a new body position. Ever make a grip change in your golf swing? It felt so wrong, something had to be off. In reality, it's just a position your unfamiliar with.

But now you have an idea why front squats can be problematic.
Makes total sense.

I feel pretty good about the work I put in today

Nicely done sir.

Over the past few weeks with your guys recommendation of adding in the overhead press I'm really enjoying it and not using any push from my legs to get the bar up. What is a good goal to set for weight with reps in relation to your body weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back