2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished the second workout for T25 this morning, went a lot better than the first workout. As someone who has worked in the fitness industry a long time and tried many workouts, I definitely think T25 is good cardio program. I've always mostly stuck to weight lifting and stayed lean even without doing cardio, but I know adding cardio is going to help my cardiovascular system even more and its good for improving my body's ability to deliver oxygen and nutrients to my muscles faster during the weight training, so I'm happy to be doing this along with my wife to help encourage her, and hopefully it will help me as I start increasing the weight lifting as well.

Do any of yall do HIIT training? I am trying to drop a sizeable amount of weight (about 40-45 more pounds) while doing some pretty intense lifting.

Currently I am dong like 30-40 minutes walking on an incline. It is a good workout, but I have heard that 20-25 minutes of HIIT training burns quite a few calories during and for quite awhile after. Looking for something to do on the bike, treadmill, elipitical whatever. Any advice would be awesome
Saw this article today and it gives you some pretty good options.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/cardio-for-strong-people

Looks like Sudseh beat me to it.

2015 Fitness and Weight-loss Thread

2015 Fitness and Weight-loss Thread

I stepped on the scale this morning and was 202lb. From 217lb a few weeks ago I will take it. I need to get cardio mixed in more, but I like where i'm headed. I continue to do push ups & sit ups and that is working for me right now. looking forward to hitting my goal of 190lbs.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to overthink it Taylor. I certainly never did and saw positive results.

Run hard or bike hard for awhile until you can't hardly breathe or move your legs. Then cycle into a recovery mode and get your heart rate and breathing under control. Repeat that a few times and you're done.

I did it to music. Appx 5 songs depending on how long they were. First part of the song I went balls out for a minute and then slower cycle until the next one started, so 3 minutes or so. 20 minutes and I was done.

I don't think you need to overthink it Taylor. I certainly never did and saw positive results.

Run hard or bike hard for awhile until you can't hardly breathe or move your legs. Then cycle into a recovery mode and get your heart rate and breathing under control. Repeat that a few times and you're done.

I did it to music. Appx 5 songs depending on how long they were. First part of the song I went balls out for a minute and then slower cycle until the next one started, so 3 minutes or so. 20 minutes and I was done.

Ya I appreciate it. I think I am overthinking the cardio portion. I just need to keep doing it

Ya I appreciate it. I think I am overthinking the cardio portion. I just need to keep doing it

I'd rather do a set of intervals over long, boring cardio any day of the week. 20 minutes is nothing and it also has a little more variety to it so you're not just clock watching. You'll want that 2-3 minutes to recover.

I'd rather do a set of intervals over long, boring cardio any day of the week. 20 minutes is nothing and it also has a little more variety to it so you're not just clock watching. You'll want that 2-3 minutes to recover.

Ya I like the idea of the intervals. I am going to start mixing them in for sure. I tried it on the bike, but think I went too big too quick yesterday and was dead after about 12 minutes.

This was from yesterday since I missed this thread.

A banana then 1.5 mile jog @~12 minute mile pace, and .5 mile walk.

Tuna sandwiches and some almonds.

Tonight I bowl so...

Wednesday it'll be another mile and a half. I could possibly push for two, but I would fall to a pace I wouldn't like I think. Who knows.

Josh and I made a deal that when we lose Duke (and sadly that is likely in the next few months) we will each take a certain sum of money and do something to make us happy. A way to celebrate his life rather than mourn his loss. My plan is to hire a personal trainer, or find a good personal training studio.

I have a few questions about this. How do I go about finding said trainer/studio, and what questions should I ask to make sure they are a good fit? I know they aren't cheap, and I will probably only be able to afford 2 months of training, but it will hopefully be the kick start I need to get out of this depressed rut I am in and back into a happier, healthier place.

Josh and I made a deal that when we lose Duke (and sadly that is likely in the next few months) we will each take a certain sum of money and do something to make us happy. A way to celebrate his life rather than mourn his loss. My plan is to hire a personal trainer, or find a good personal training studio.

I have a few questions about this. How do I go about finding said trainer/studio, and what questions should I ask to make sure they are a good fit? I know they aren't cheap, and I will probably only be able to afford 2 months of training, but it will hopefully be the kick start I need to get out of this depressed rut I am in and back into a happier, healthier place.
Morgan, is there an Orange Theory studio anywhere near you? I know the Franchise started in Florida. It's group personal training and my wife has been going for a year and loves it. I joined last week and am now kicking myself for waiting to join her. Great motivation and much cheaper than a true personal trainer

http://www.orangetheoryfitness.com/

Morgan, is there an Orange Theory studio anywhere near you? I know the Franchise started in Florida. It's group personal training and my wife has been going for a year and loves it. I joined last week and am now kicking myself for waiting to join her

Yes, there is one 5 minutes from my house. I am conflicted on whether or not I want to do a group fitness class. I have done one-on-one personal training in the past and it was incredible. I was in the best shape of my life. What I liked most was that it was at the gym I belonged to so on the days I wasn't with him training he had a workout printed out for me so I just followed that. I always had something to follow rather than figuring it out on my own. It helped me get my workouts down to 30-45 minutes rather than the 1 1/2 hours I was doing before because I never had a game plan, just wondered from one thing to another. I also liked the accountability, he would call me out if I tried to cancel a session or didn't show up on the off days. He would literally text me and tell me to get off my lazy a$$ and get in the gym. I needed that.

I fear a group class won't give me that. But I also like the idea of a group class because it could be a good way to meet some people who could help keep me motivated since we are all there for the same reason. I am really not sure what is the right move.

How much is Orange theory if you don't mind me asking? Also, how many classes a week does she take and does she find it effective and not boring after a while?

Morgan,

my girlfriend is doing the personal training thing and she loves it. I actually got my certification the summer after my freshman year of college, so I haven't been inclined to do it myself, but she feels the same way. She does it at her home gym so on off days she still has the same weights, machines, etc. for her to continue the workout, and her trainer has been great about helping her out even on her off days if she has a minute.

I will say this is her 3rd one at this gym, as the other two didn't quite fit what she wanted. This girl she has now took the time to listen to exactly what her goals were in terms of adding a little bit of definition while losing a few pounds, and I think that was key for her. I know she couldn't be happier with the person she is using now.

Morgan,

my girlfriend is doing the personal training thing and she loves it. I actually got my certification the summer after my freshman year of college, so I haven't been inclined to do it myself, but she feels the same way. She does it at her home gym so on off days she still has the same weights, machines, etc. for her to continue the workout, and her trainer has been great about helping her out even on her off days if she has a minute.

I will say this is her 3rd one at this gym, as the other two didn't quite fit what she wanted. This girl she has now took the time to listen to exactly what her goals were in terms of adding a little bit of definition while losing a few pounds, and I think that was key for her. I know she couldn't be happier with the person she is using now.

Sounds just like my experience. I absolutely loved it! I just don't want to go to a gym where I hate the trainer, and then feel weird switching to someone else. My other fear is going to a place that tries to shove nutrition and their special eating plan down my throat. I don't want that, I know how to eat well, I know how to cook healthy and I don't want to take any supplements or cleanses. That stuff is just not for me.

How did she handle switching to a different trainer, was that weird when she saw the ones she didn't end up staying with?

Sounds just like my experience. I absolutely loved it! I just don't want to go to a gym where I hate the trainer, and then feel weird switching to someone else. My other fear is going to a place that tries to shove nutrition and their special eating plan down my throat. I don't want that, I know how to eat well, I know how to cook healthy and I don't want to take any supplements or cleanses. That stuff is just not for me.

How did she handle switching to a different trainer, was that weird when she saw the ones she didn't end up staying with?

She actually said it was fine. She basically just asked management to switch because she didn't feel the others understood what she was trying to accomplish. She wanted a female trainer from the start, but the girl didn't have any openings. Now that has gone through the other 2 and finally has the female trainer I think she is happy. She says she still talks to both of the other 2 and that they have no ill-wills. I think at the end of the day most of these people do actually care about your success and happiness, and if you aren't comfortable with your trainer it is going to hinder your progress.

She actually said it was fine. She basically just asked management to switch because she didn't feel the others understood what she was trying to accomplish. She wanted a female trainer from the start, but the girl didn't have any openings. Now that has gone through the other 2 and finally has the female trainer I think she is happy. She says she still talks to both of the other 2 and that they have no ill-wills. I think at the end of the day most of these people do actually care about your success and happiness, and if you aren't comfortable with your trainer it is going to hinder your progress.

That's good to hear, because that is a big fear of mine. I need a trainer who understands what I want, and who will push me and hold me accountable.

That's good to hear, because that is a big fear of mine. I need a trainer who understands what I want, and who will push me and hold me accountable.

I think your best bet is to find a place and then find a trainer who can put a solid plan into place to help you with your goals. Be specific and let them know what you do/don't want and I think you will be happy

I think your best bet is to find a place and then find a trainer who can put a solid plan into place to help you with your goals. Be specific and let them know what you do/don't want and I think you will be happy

Thanks! I wish we had better gyms over here. We have a Youfit and a Snap fitness near by that's it. Otherwise it's yoga/pilates studios (which I do plan to use on occasion once I get back into the swing of things) or the group fitness places.

Thanks! I wish we had better gyms over here. We have a Youfit and a Snap fitness near by that's it. Otherwise it's yoga/pilates studios (which I do plan to use on occasion once I get back into the swing of things) or the group fitness places.

I am surprised you don't have some sort of Lifetime Fitness or 24 or something in your area.

I miss lifetime fitness, that place is amazing.

I am surprised you don't have some sort of Lifetime Fitness or 24 or something in your area.

I miss lifetime fitness, that place is amazing.

We have 3 LA Fitness facilities about 20 minutes in different directions, but the gyms within 5 minutes of me are Snap Fitness and Youfit. A friend of ours goes to Youfit and likes it, so that is an option, but I don't know much about them or their personal training program. I need to go over there and find out.

Yes, there is one 5 minutes from my house. I am conflicted on whether or not I want to do a group fitness class. I have done one-on-one personal training in the past and it was incredible. I was in the best shape of my life. What I liked most was that it was at the gym I belonged to so on the days I wasn't with him training he had a workout printed out for me so I just followed that. I always had something to follow rather than figuring it out on my own. It helped me get my workouts down to 30-45 minutes rather than the 1 1/2 hours I was doing before because I never had a game plan, just wondered from one thing to another. I also liked the accountability, he would call me out if I tried to cancel a session or didn't show up on the off days. He would literally text me and tell me to get off my lazy a$$ and get in the gym. I needed that.

I fear a group class won't give me that. But I also like the idea of a group class because it could be a good way to meet some people who could help keep me motivated since we are all there for the same reason. I am really not sure what is the right move.

How much is Orange theory if you don't mind me asking? Also, how many classes a week does she take and does she find it effective and not boring after a while?
The trainers at ours are really personable and they get to know everyone. They are constantly telling you to push it or back off if you are in the wrong zone.

There are multiple options for membership. Shannon and I both have the elite option which is under $100 a month for 8 classes - or under $13 a class. They also offer unlimited membership at around $160 a month.

It's different than any other group fitness class I've done. Our gym offered one free trial session and there is also the ability to buy additional sessions on top of any package or membership.

I'd definitely recommend at least going for the one trial session. It's about as good a workout as I've ever gotten and it's fun

The trainers at ours are really personable and they get to know everyone. They are constantly telling you to push it or back off if you are in the wrong zone.

There are multiple options for membership. Shannon and I both have the elite option which is under $100 a month for 8 classes - or under $13 a class. They also offer unlimited membership at around $160 a month.

It's different than any other group fitness class I've done. Our gym offered one free trial session and there is also the ability to buy additional sessions on top of any package or membership.

I'd definitely recommend at least going for the one trial session. It's about as good a workout as I've ever gotten and it's fun

Interesting. I will go in there and get the info. I am really open to options, I just want to make sure I pick the right thing so I stick with it. I know how much of a funk I have been in the last 6 months and if I don't find the right thing I will just fall right back into bad habits. I really need this to work for so many reasons.

Raise your hand you hand if you're doing power snatches tonight followed by overhead squats?
*raises hand*

Also the workouts change every day so you never know what the workout is going to be and it's always going to be different. We are both on the 8 times a month and go twice a week Wednesday and either Saturday and Sunday.

I want to lose 15lbs...but can't get motivated. I just recently started back on the elliptical three time a week. I also started to do some of the core exercises by Tony Horton. But sadly I need to start watching what I eat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omeWaV3mf6o

This sounds like me. I'd like to lose 15-20 lbs but it's been tough getting motivated and sticking with it. I've been doing that scientific 7 minute workout here and there but have to get back on the elliptical too.

Bench press, incline bench, flyes...and then I felt like I was running out of gas, so I got my squats in, topping out with 3x3 @ 225#.

I can't wait for this diet to be over. No carbs or sugar just makes it really easy to run out of steam. I feel better over the course of the day, but when it comes time for the gym or PT, I just don't have the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back