2017 US Women's Amateur

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
I didn't see anything posted on this, so I thought I'd start a thread.

I just happened to catch the end of the quarter finals matches, and then couldn't stop watching as 13 year old Chia Yen Wu (China) beat Lauren Stephenson (U of Alabama?) on the 30th hole to set the record for the longest match in USGA history (men's or women's).

Some highlights:

Both girls were making fantastic chips & putts in the extra holes. It was really cool to watch these kids put on a show! From the USGA site:

Chia Yen Wu, the No. 63 seed from Chinese Taipei, prevailed in a 30-hole match – the longest in 117 years of USGA championship history – over Lauren Stephenson in the quarterfinals of the 2017 U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship on San Diego Country Club’s par-72, 6,423-yard course. At 13 years, 4 months and 17 days old, the win also secures Wu’s place in history as the youngest player to advance to the championship’s semifinals.

I didn't see anything posted on this, so I thought I'd start a thread.

I just happened to catch the end of the quarter finals matches, and then couldn't stop watching as 13 year old Chia Yen Wu (China) beat Lauren Stephenson (U of Alabama?) on the 30th hole to set the record for the longest match in USGA history (men's or women's).

Some highlights:

Both girls were making fantastic chips & putts in the extra holes. It was really cool to watch these kids put on a show! From the USGA site:
I'm with you. Started watching on 16 and stayed with it all the way through extra holes. Very exciting play. Some awesome shot making. Amazing that this match is a new USGA record for extra holes. Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

This was probably the best match I've watched.
Stephenson hit it inside 5 ft a handful of times only to have Yen Wu drain putts from off the globe to halve. Crazy good golf.

This week and next are two of my favorite weeks in golf with the US Women's am and the US am. These might be my favorite tournaments to watch. The WU - Stephenson match was easily one of the best matches I have watched.

I felt bad for Stephenson, she hit so many great iron shots & just couldn't get any short putts to fall at the end. I wonder if she could've kept it All Square after 30, and they would've had to continue the next morning, if she would have won? That Wu kid is pretty tough, though.

This week and next are two of my favorite weeks in golf with the US Women's am and the US am. These might be my favorite tournaments to watch. The WU - Stephenson match was easily one of the best matches I have watched.

Agreed. I love watching the up-and-comers - see who the next generation of stars might be.

Agreed. I love watching the up-and-comers - see who the next generation of stars might be.

Some good matches today, WU maybe ran out of steam from yesterday. Thinking Valenzuela gets it done tomorrow, she seems to have a little stronger game. Next week for the US AM will be good. Several future stars in the filed.

Back