2018 Callaway Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X Golf Balls

What is the difference between the regular CS and the X?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The way I’ve always understood it, the CS X is a little more firm, typically better for higher swing speeds/better players and is going to spin a little more than the CS for those players.

I've been playing with the 2017 and 2018 versions all year, and continue to love this ball. For the 2018, the regular CS seems to be my favorite, whereas for 2017 I definitely liked the X more.
I think I've come to the same conclusion, but I cant really out my fingers on why.

The way I’ve always understood it, the CS X is a little more firm, typically better for higher swing speeds/better players and is going to spin a little more than the CS for those players.

Sounds like the CS is the way to go for me. I have some Callaway gift cards coming so I may get those or some Truvis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I've come to the same conclusion, but I cant really out my fingers on why.

Jay and I were talking about this a bit today - I think I'm the same way, but can't put my finger on it either. Whereas with the 2016, I definitely preferred the X.

I’m 100% in on this ball! I thought I’d dislike the pattern and feel uneasy looking down at something other than a pure white ball. It’s a great ball, very responsive, and feels great on putts.

Played Pink Truvis this weekend, the Truvis line is really starting to grow on me. Ball striking and feel continue to be exceptional with this years Chrome Soft.

These (CS) plus clean contact with the wedges means absolute control around the greens. Did some bunker practice recently and it was attack mode.

These (CS) plus clean contact with the wedges means absolute control around the greens. Did some bunker practice recently and it was attack mode.
I agree. I 100% trust that the ball will do what I need it to when I fulfill my end of the bargain.

I think my favorite aspect of the 2018 CS is off the short irons and wedges on approach shots. I dont know the numbers but the ball just reacts the way I like it to and gives me great control, even from the rough.

I agree. I 100% trust that the ball will do what I need it to when I fulfill my end of the bargain.

I think my favorite aspect of the 2018 CS is off the short irons and wedges on approach shots. I dont know the numbers but the ball just reacts the way I like it to and gives me great control, even from the rough.

For me the ability to still feel soft with this much spin is something I don’t always get. It’s refreshing, especially with how many greens I have been missing.

For me the ability to still feel soft with this much spin is something I don’t always get. It’s refreshing, especially with how many greens I have been missing.

I'd been playing the X for a while, but then put some of the regular CS back in play. I think I forgot how much I like the softer feel. And you're right, you can get some ridiculous drop and stop on short shots with these.

I'd been playing the X for a while, but then put some of the regular CS back in play. I think I forgot how much I like the softer feel. And you're right, you can get some ridiculous drop and stop on short shots with these.
I'm coming from a bit of a different perspective. I've always enjoyed a firmer feeling ball so I'm naturally sliding away from that position with each round played with CS.

I may go back to trying the CS-X this week at some point. I’ve been playing the CS with great results. Don’t know why I’d want to change.

2018 Callaway Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X Golf Balls

I’ve commented before about how I wasn’t seeing much action into greens on approach shots. I think it’s fair to say it was a quality of contact issue. Here are four crisply compressed shots:

54* from 105
9af4680f9dab7fe9164a2ac2fba974a5.jpg

8i playing to 145
4eefe01e6f3f566bc158fe5603a19ed6.jpg

50* from 110 and in fairway bunker with tight sand
2f5e2ec78432507f2e104521467ff157.jpg

And finally a PW from the first cut at 130. The green slopes toward the front of the green and that surely contributed to the result but still ...
fbd4c7c40f77aa9a9ee1f08868b65be0.jpg

I was especially impressed with the fairway bunker shot. I thought I caught it a little thin and it might roll through the green. I was very pleasantly surprised to see 8ish inches of back spin. It is really cool to get rewarded like this for making proper contact.

My preference is still the regular Chrome Soft simply based on feel but it seems like anytime I throw the X in to play I start playing better. I have zero actual data to back this up other than it seems like I shoot better scores and lose less balls when they are in play.

I put the regular 18 Chrome Soft in play this weekend. I definitely notice a little extra distance on the irons compared to the ‘17 or other balls. Good stopping power on full shots. I think I still prefer the X around the green.

I put the regular 18 Chrome Soft in play this weekend. I definitely notice a little extra distance on the irons compared to the ‘17 or other balls. Good stopping power on full shots. I think I still prefer the X around the green.

Im the exact opposite around the green, but my playing partner is the same way. He loves the X there.

I think one thing I like about this ball, whether it be the X or regular as I get near the green is predictability.

I'm not a real big spinner of the golf ball, so I'm going to see some rollout no matter what ball I put in play. But yesterday while I was out playing I hit three wedge shots from maybe 30, 50, and 60 yards and ended up pin high on all of them. Making the decision to play the same ball all year plays a big part in this too, I'm sure. But I've played other balls for a large portion of seasons before and haven't had as much success with the short clubs as I have with the CS. It's such a great all around ball.

I guess my only complaint is that I wish I could get it for less money.

Im the exact opposite around the green, but my playing partner is the same way. He loves the X there.

I've mostly been playing the 17x as I stocked up on too many. But I put the 18 X in play for forum testing and I saw some of the best short game spin out of any ball I have played ever. I need to do a head to head comparison at the same time on the same course.

I definitely feel the increased distance is real with these on the irons though. 2-5 yards but it is there.

Just a heads up all: Price drop on Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X to $39.99 through the end of the year. I'd assume that also applies to Budget + THP discount is a good deal!

Posted this in last ball played;

The last couple of rounds I've been mixing it up between the CS and CS-X due to the cold. I think the X may be longer off the driver but shorter off the irons compared to the CS. I do prefer the more solid feel of the X off the driver but the softer feel of the CS off the irons. Putting-wise I think I prefer the CS. I really can't see any significant difference in launch or spin.

Same here. No data, or obvious reason I can point out. Just a feel thing I guess

Just a heads up all: Price drop on Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X to $39.99 through the end of the year. I'd assume that also applies to Budget + THP discount is a good deal!

This is good to hear. I've got a few scrambles coming up, but also want to keep the CS in play to prep for December. So losing a few of them will hurt just a little bit less.

I played the X today. Distances off the tee were solid, especially considering the conditions. Approach shots were rolling out a little. That’s probably more a reflection of quality of contact, but you still expect to see something different when playing on soft greens. Durability of the ball has been great.

I put the Chrome Soft back in play today. Greens were hard from the recent cold spell and while I saw the normal roll out, approach shots that came in high landed and stopped a few inches from the ball mark. I forgot how well this all feels off every club.

Curious to see how Callaway improves on this one

Fresh ChromeSofts for tomorrows round. The last 2 months I've been on the TP5s and still have a good amount of them in the bag. But wanted to go back to these for a few rounds. Gorgeous conditions and course tomorrow. Let's go!

Back