2018 Callaway Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X Golf Balls

Lost 1 golf ball in 36 holes and that's always nice!

Played the Stars and Stripes Monday and the Regular White yesterday.

Holding greens on approach shots continues to be where this ball shines the most in my opinion. Off the tee it was solid as usual.

I guess on chipping I just couldn't guage rollout or spin & stop yesterday. Greens were in great shape but when I tried little mid-flight chips expecting some rollout it would go like bounce-bounce-stop. Perhaps catching too many grooves on the wedge? Then when I hit a higher wedge shot it just rolled out when I was expecting the opposite. Oh well.

Lost 1 golf ball in 36 holes and that's always nice!

Played the Stars and Stripes Monday and the Regular White yesterday.

Holding greens on approach shots continues to be where this ball shines the most in my opinion. Off the tee it was solid as usual.

I guess on chipping I just couldn't guage rollout or spin & stop yesterday. Greens were in great shape but when I tried little mid-flight chips expecting some rollout it would go like bounce-bounce-stop. Perhaps catching too many grooves on the wedge? Then when I hit a higher wedge shot it just rolled out when I was expecting the opposite. Oh well.

Good stuff!!!

I know this might get lost in the fold of all the awesome new releases of 2019, but I still think the line can hold it's own very well. I just ordered 3 dozen X's to compete for the spot in the bag against the likes of TP5X, ProV1X, RB Tour X, and I might go for a sample pack of the new MTB-X.

I know this might get lost in the fold of all the awesome new releases of 2019, but I still think the line can hold it's own very well. I just ordered 3 dozen X's to compete for the spot in the bag against the likes of TP5X, ProV1X, RB Tour X, and I might go for a sample pack of the new MTB-X.

Agreed. I've got my bad weather stash to work through (winter garbage & some discount Bridgestone RX) but the Chrome Soft will get first whack at being my gamer for the year. I'm still a fan of the Truvis pattern.

Typical 4 dozen ordered today. Should be good for the majority of the season.

This is still a solid performer. I prefer the regular CS, but hard to beat the performance of either one of these balls.

Bumping an old thread. I know the Chrome Soft has a few threads for the Truvis designs, but I wanted to post my performance thoughts in here. Mods if this belongs in another thread please feel free to move. Here are my thoughts on the Chrome Soft I posted in the ERC thread.

I think I always tend to discount how big a factor the golf ball plays into the game. My last 5-6 rounds have been played with the ERC and I was having some success with it. It was launching high and spinning a little less, which is good for me. Even though it's not a Urethane cover, I didn't get that harsh "clicky" feeling on impact with any shot. Spin was a non issue into the greens and felt pretty good off the putter face. I've put enough rounds in with this ball to get a pretty good idea what it can do for and where it might be costing me in terms of performance (especially off the tee).

Off the tee I was hitting some high launching shots and I was chalking it up to the driver set up and completely ignored the part the ball might be playing into the equation. The ERC performs as advertised. It launches higher, spins lower off the driver, ball speeds appears to be faster and retained on mishits, and there is decent spin/control into the greens. I'm indifferent with the triple track. Paired with the Marxman it should be a no brainer and make putting easier, but every time i have tried to use, there is just too much going on. I am overly thinking putts and the results are not what I want them to be.

Having a pretty good idea what this ball can do for me I put the Chrome Soft into play on my final 18. The first thing I noticed was the launch. While it was not low by any means, it was hitting a "window" that I like to see off the tee. I kind of thought this was due to the new shaft in my driver, but I didn't see this the first 18 when I played the ERC. Seeing a better ball flight/launch from the Chrome Soft was encouraging. The best part I don't feel like I sacrificed any spin off the tee. I think where the CS separates itself from the ERC "for me" is with the distance off the tee and spin control into the greens. The only thing I can think of is the slightly lower launch off the tee allowed the ball to have a more penetrating ball flight resulting in more carry and overall total distance. Where the ERC had control into the green, I still played a little run out. The Chrome Soft was within a few inches of the pitch mark or spinning back a bit. Putting was better for me with the Chrome Soft. Could be a placebo effect, but I felt and saw more putts go in.

Overall the ERC is a great ball and will be a good fit for many. Higher swing speeds will find some detriment in terms of it being "too soft", but I think this ball can work for a lot of golfers. When I am loosened up with my driver I can hit low 100's with my swing speed, so hopefully that gives you an idea of where I am testing out the ERC.

The price point helps as well. For me I am putting the Chrome Soft into play through the end of the summer to get a better idea of how it can perform for me from tee to green, but based on the 18 yesterday I think it will end up being the better ball for me. Price doesn't bug me and I know it's important to some, but the performance outweighs the few bucks i'd save going another route.

Repost:
Played 2018 version of Chrome Soft Stars and Stripes yesterday and was quite pleased with it.
With all of the "Soft is Slow" talk - it really performed well for me.
Had no 3 putts and No Triples - so to me that shows it was really working in the short game area.
Also I had some troubles with the ball going too far, which caused me to "Scramble"
I'll be interested as I use it if the Distance issue shows up again.

I have a couple of sleeves I'll be using up until the Cut DC balls arrive for testing.

Going with my Team Prestige and compadre Mark I also played the ChromeSoft yesterday.

I hit the ball high, hit the ball well, and chipping was decent.

It did well.

I really enjoyed this ball yesterday. Distance control with putts was generally excellent, the ball stopped at its pitch mark on approach shots with scoring irons and distance with all clubs was good.

Love the softness for putting and I get less side spin with them too.

Played the original stars and stripes the last 2 rounds and yesterday at my home course I hit the longest drive I ever remember on 2 different holes. #11 is a hole that I am normally hitting Driver hybrid/5W, yesterday I had an 8 iron in my hand and set up the first birdie on that hole for me.

#14 is not as long, but has a hazard on the approach. Usually I am laying up with a wedge short of the hazard, yesterday I had a 9I in... probably 30-40 yards longer than I normally am on a good drive and 50 or so yards longer than an average drive.

Not sure if these are longer than the Chrome Soft X triple track but they sure aren't shorter for my modest swing speed.

Played CS suits Heart today, and this ball just flat out performs. Love hitting chips and hating the ball just check up so quickly. Feels great off the putter.

it’s been awhile since i spent any time with the chrome soft. i remember liking it a lot, but never really spent much time with truvis.

with the grandaddy of em all coming in 4 weeks, i wanted to give this another go. i went with white ball red truvis. just some practice on the chipping area today. my previous ball was the erc soft.

compared to erc, this wasn’t as soft, but softer than csx. that’s to be expected, and i liked it a lot. but the best part - and i know i’m late to the party on this - is watching truvis dance on the green with a good pitch!

i can’t envision how it would look, but a truvis ball with triple track alignment would be pretty damn fun.

it’s been awhile since i spent any time with the chrome soft. i remember liking it a lot, but never really spent much time with truvis.

with the grandaddy of em all coming in 4 weeks, i wanted to give this another go. i went with white ball red truvis. just some practice on the chipping area today. my previous ball was the erc soft.

compared to erc, this wasn’t as soft, but softer than csx. that’s to be expected, and i liked it a lot. but the best part - and i know i’m late to the party on this - is watching truvis dance on the green with a good pitch!

i can’t envision how it would look, but a truvis ball with triple track alignment would be pretty damn fun.
Give the yellow and black a try next.

I love the feedback you get from Truvis on chips and putts. I feel like know immediately how well I struck the ball based on how it looks in flight. Fantastic for practice, and it's a great ball overall.

Never gets old!:cool:

first round with the updated chrome soft yesterday. unfortunately i didn't have very good stuff, so it's tough to gauge much about the ball. i will say i hit a couple wedges, one was a 3/4 aw and the other a 3/4 sw, that had ridiculous backspin. i'm not used to playing for that, so both balls zipped off the greens down into bunkers. distance wise i can't really say because i wasn't swinging well enough to draw any conclusions.

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

first round with the updated chrome soft yesterday. unfortunately i didn't have very good stuff, so it's tough to gauge much about the ball. i will say i hit a couple wedges, one was a 3/4 aw and the other a 3/4 sw, that had ridiculous backspin. i'm not used to playing for that, so both balls zipped off the greens down into bunkers. distance wise i can't really say because i wasn't swinging well enough to draw any conclusions.

Talk to me goose. Did I miss a release?

That's crazy seeing that much spin, CS I could never get to spin like that. The CSX and CSX TT spin a ton

Interesting note that the two Club Champions near me use CSX TT - I have to admit I was a little surprised. Usually they are a V1X shop

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

Talk to me goose. Did I miss a release?

That's crazy seeing that much spin, CS I could never get to spin like that. The CSX and CSX TT spin a ton

no, i just don't recall ever putting the regular cs into play from last year's release. maybe i did and just forgot? i didn't put csxtt in play. and the spin was crazy, even @MWard was commenting on it. i wouldn't say i was hitting the ball cleanly, either. it was pretty crazy.

no, i just don't recall ever putting the regular cs into play from last year's release. maybe i did and just forgot? i didn't put csxtt in play. and the spin was crazy, even @MWard was commenting on it. i wouldn't say i was hitting the ball cleanly, either. it was pretty crazy.

It was one of those times where you were getting hurt by the spin, cause you didn’t know it was gonna show up aaaannndddd now you have a long putt coming up

It was one of those times where you were getting hurt by the spin, cause you didn’t know it was gonna show up aaaannndddd now you have a long putt coming up

or now you're down in a bunker haha

from what i saw from a couple shots, i think the cs would be a really good ball for me. i think i'm going to play 9 holes this afternoon, and will put another sleeve in play.

Back