2018 FIFA World Cup

Mark_UK

Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
With the greatest sporting event in the world about to take place, I thought it’s about time it had its own thread.
The groups.
ff0e68f23c10eadb5e1a85e64a566e8a.jpg

Latest odds
Brazil 9/2
Germany 5/1
Spain 13/2
France 13/2
Argentina 10/1
Belgium 11/1
England 20/1
Portugal 28/1
Everyone else 33/1 and longer.

I’m plumping for Germany with Belgium as dark horses. England have a relatively easy route to the quarters. Then they hit a wall.

#FiberLaunch

I hope Nigeria make it straight to the final. Just because their kits are spectacular!

I hope Nigeria make it straight to the final. Just because their kits are spectacular!

300/1. I was reading the other day how their kit sold out everywhere due to the awesome design. Must admit, I was a bit meh.

#FiberLaunch

300/1. I was reading the other day how their kit sold out everywhere due to the awesome design. Must admit, I was a bit meh.

#FiberLaunch
You're a little too Birmingham for that kit.

2018 FIFA World Cup

You're a little too Birmingham for that kit.

I prefer a clean looking kit. That Nigerian one reminds me of a car before release when it’s camo’d from the press, or one of those warships. Maybe that’s the whole point.
And please don’t refer to me as Birmingham anything again ; )

#FiberLaunch

I prefer a clean looking kit. That Nigerian one reminds me of a car before release when it’s camo’d from the press, or one of those warships. Maybe that’s the whole point.
And please don’t refer to me as Birmingham anything again ; )

#FiberLaunch
#UptheVilla

#UptheVilla

That’s better (although I think the club is seriously ****** but that’s for a different thread).

#FiberLaunch

That’s better (although I think the club is seriously ****** but that’s for a different thread).

#FiberLaunch
Could be worse.

On topic of the World Cup, Germany looks so good. France doesn't impress me.

I’ll watch as much as I can. Hoping Mexico can go further than the quarter finals, but not holding my breath.

My dark horse is Croatia, something about that team scares me.

France showed today they are not ready for the world stage.

2026 World Cup just awarded to the United bid of Canada/USA/Mexico. USA will host the large majority of the games, including every game from the quarterfinals onward.

2026 World Cup just awarded to the United bid of Canada/USA/Mexico. USA will host the large majority of the games, including every game from the quarterfinals onward.
Well that's cool as heck, even if the WC hosting is a racket.

Depending on how the results go, I think it could be possible for a Germany - Brazil final which could make for a good match as I think Brazil have a bit to prove after their debacle in the previous tournament

I agree on the England chances though, the quarters is likely as far as they will get as they would most likely face either Germany or Brazil depending on how the results go in the earlier stages. It would be nice to see a new fresh team do well but I think the overall lack of experience will tell for some of the players unfortunately

USA! USA! USA! (and Canada and Mexico too)

I think Poland have a good chance to exit their group. Will be some fun matches again Senegal and Japan in the group. Maybe they can catch some fire and repeat their European success. My red away jersey is arriving tomorrow!

Not a big soccer fan, so with no USA in this one definitely wont be watching.

Not a big soccer fan, so with no USA in this one definitely wont be watching.
Just have to do one of those quizzes to pick a team to watch instead. The timing of the games makes them ideal for background watching.

Spain have seemingly self-combusted.

I did a predictor earlier before the news broke and had a Spain v Brazil final, but now, I'm not so sure they'll fair too well.

I like Uruguay and think they'll do well.

Germany or Brazil to win, for me.

Great news about the US getting the World Cup in 2026!!! Now to hope for 2 things. That England actually qualify this time, and San Jose gets chosen as a host city!!!!!!

#FiberLaunch

Great news about the US getting the World Cup in 2026!!! Now to hope for 2 things. That England actually qualify this time, and San Jose gets chosen as a host city!!!!!!

#FiberLaunch

Apparently the US have got 60 out of the 80 matches, with the other 20 split evenly between Canada and Mexico, so it isn't much of a 'joint' venture really

And the final is going to be New York based on what I have heard

#FiberLaunch

I really like that it is USA, Canada, and Mexico as a join host. I think that is really cool.

As far as this year, I am cheering for Mexico.

Apparently the US have got 60 out of the 80 matches, with the other 20 split evenly between Canada and Mexico, so it isn't much of a 'joint' venture really

Confirmed as of this article. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/sports/world-cup/fifa-2026-vote-north-america-morocco.html

I think it makes sense that the US has a majoirty of games, am I biased? Of course. We have the infrastructre and a variety of venues already constructed. Think about all the new MLS soccer only stadiums that have been built. They would be a great location for some of the lesser group games IMO.

DC United's soccer venue is almost complete.

Yep. Just had a little read. The Bay Area is listed as a venue, which will mean either at the 9ers or Quakes ground, which are just up the road. Woo hoo!!!!

#FiberLaunch

Rooting for Spain and Portugal since USA and Italy didn't make the cut. Also always root for a quick exit for Mexico and England.

Back