2018 Srixon Q-STAR TOUR Golf Balls Review

QST vs. Project A Data coming... Wedge and 7 Iron.

Very interested in this - I was surprised how differently they performed for me, so I'd like something more scientific just to make sure it wasn't just me on the day :good:

With the 6 pack being $10 everyone should try this ball for a round or two. I'm a huge fan of the XV but I'm still giving this ball a try since it just makes a lot of sense on paper.
At the encouragement of the local manager at Edwin Watts, I picked up a dozen for $20. I'll be in Valdosta next weekend comparing last model to the new ones, but I'll be surprised in there's very much difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Very interested in this - I was surprised how differently they performed for me, so I'd like something more scientific just to make sure it wasn't just me on the day :good:

See above...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the encouragement of the local manager at Edwin Watts, I picked up a dozen for $20. I'll be in Valdosta next weekend comparing last model to the new ones, but I'll be surprised in there's very much difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They really are pushing the 2 6packs for $20. I grabbed some to try this weekend, but I think I'm going to stick with the XV since I usually prefer a firmer ball.

Thanks for the data. Looks like you hit the ball fairly high and don't need the extra spin to hold greens. Project A could be beneficial for a different type of player though.

Totally agree... That’s why ball testing is so important, for me the launch is high enough, I don’t need the spin, so I’ll take the added distance.

Thanks for the data. Looks like you hit the ball fairly high and don't need the extra spin to hold greens. Project A could be beneficial for a different type of player though.

For sure, but I think that is what is great about seeing these numbers. I have been trying to find info on launch and spin with different balls. Some of us struggle with high spinny balls, some suffer from low knuckle balls, so seeing how different balls perform is great IMHO. Really makes me want to get a legit launch monitor to do more testing but I know I would use for 3 weeks then stick it in a closet.

I agree and love seeing the numbers. I wish there was more data out there on balls. The TXG videos are great, but that is all I've really found.
For sure, but I think that is what is great about seeing these numbers. I have been trying to find info on launch and spin with different balls. Some of us struggle with high spinny balls, some suffer from low knuckle balls, so seeing how different balls perform is great IMHO. Really makes me want to get a legit launch monitor to do more testing but I know I would use for 3 weeks then stick it in a closet.

I agree and love seeing the numbers. I wish there was more data out there on balls. The TXG videos are great, but that is all I've really found.

Check the link in the first post. There are REAL numbers in the THP Review.

Check the link in the first post. There are REAL numbers in the THP Review.
Yes there are

The review is well done and it does draw comparisons to the Soft Feel which help give perspective. I just like seeing full side by side data, and that would have been cool to see for Soft Feel vs. QST using a few different clubs.

See above...

Cheers JDax, looks like the QST launches nice and high, which I found, but also that it spins more consistently than the Project a. That also sort of ties in to what I found, the Project a seemed to jump around more than the Srixon in both flight and spin on landing.

The consistency of the AD333T was/is miles better for me, but the Project a is a good ball and will suit some players down to the ground.

Cheers JDax, looks like the QST launches nice and high, which I found, but also that it spins more consistently than the Project a. That also sort of ties in to what I found, the Project a seemed to jump around more than the Srixon in both flight and spin on landing.

The consistency of the AD333T was/is miles better for me, but the Project a is a good ball and will suit some players down to the ground.

No problem... As always the real data is in the review...

Yes there are

The review is well done and it does draw comparisons to the Soft Feel which help give perspective. I just like seeing full side by side data, and that would have been cool to see for Soft Feel vs. QST using a few different clubs.

You tell me which clubs you want side by side, and I'll try to do so on vacation. Whereas these were released so close to the Soft Feel, I thought it was rather important to show where the biggest difference was.

Played this ball today and I found it quite fun. The softer feel really makes most iron shots feel like irons are hit nicely and helps mellow out clean/thin hits. Didn't see any major issues with green side spin and putting felt nice. I pulled out a z-star (normal not xv) and I think I preferred the Qstar tour over it. The only fault I found with the q-star tour was I didn't like the feel off the tee with my driver and fairway.

I'll take some out with me next week with my xv and see that comparison.

Something along the lines of driver, 7i, full wedge, partial wedge. I know some of those were touched on in the review, but seeing side by side launch monitor data would be cool. Most of us can hit different clubs on a monitor at a store, but being able to test balls in that manner is much more difficult.

I understand this wasn't necessarily meant to be a ball comparison review but I think it's beneficial to see data relative to another ball. Looking forward to your results.
You tell me which clubs you want side by side, and I'll try to do so on vacation. Whereas these were released so close to the Soft Feel, I thought it was rather important to show where the biggest difference was.

No problem... As always the real data is in the review...
Of course it is, and it was very well done as always...but I think in this case it was just as valid as a follow up, as the Project a feels more of a direct competitor to the QST, in price, construction and objectives. :good:

Not as long & not a soft impact feel with the driver & 3 wood as the new callaway chrome soft and bridgestone Tour B RX. Distance and feel is ok with the irons. Hit, hop & stop on the greens with the 8 thru 56* wedge is outstanding. Will stay with the chrome soft & tour B RX.

Admittedly, I was not a fan of the Qstar off of the tee in warmer weather, it just felt too mushy. Loved it in all other regards. It was chilly and windy today and I LOVED this ball today, even off the tee. It just felt right. The wind performance was outstanding and i continue to really love it with the irons on down. This is the definitive cool weather ball for me and that’s a nice feeling.

Having now played both the previous model and current side by side, I honestly couldn't tell the difference. They both play really well. Which makes sense; the QST is already the best value in golf balls on the market, IMO. But to me, this means I can hunt for deals on the previous model year rather than feeling like I need to seek out the new edition.

I played this new Q-Star Tour for the first time today.
The yellow stands out nicely and was easy to see/find in the fairways and light rough. I did hit one into the deep grass and we where able to find it too. This ball feels really good off the driver and had a really nice ball flight. I didn't see any issues with it cutting thru the wind.
The greens we where on today where frozen when we started but thawed enough by the back nine to be able to get shots to stop. I had several 60-70 yards shots with wedges into the greens that where able to hold and have minimal roll out.
I had one wedge shot from 32 yards that landed 12 inches from the pin and hopped and stopped 2 inches from the cup.
Durability wise this ball seems to be just as good as the previous generations I have played. I played one ball for 18 holes and didn't notice any scuffs or cuts from my wedges. I would have no problem playing this ball another round.

Overall I think this is another great ball from Srixon and would consider making this a gamer again.

Wanted to throw up a couple pics. Played this ball for 9 holes and then put in bag. It cleaned up really well and there is only one tiny scuff mark that you can barely feel just to the left of the 1.
The balls held firm greens well and felt really good off the putter.
Pre clean
17c5bd07aa582930384efc4436a6f0fa.jpg

453ad175b1516c0f19870aa8f03394ac.jpg

Cleaned up with tooth brush and soapy water.
719f70d828f3701ec46436a8f61c16fb.jpg

Barely noticeable scuff.
2f432edbe3808e4b20f1517ccafee54b.jpg

I wanted to throw up a thought about this ball. On the 12th hole my drive went a bit to the far edge of the fairway (hole is a 90 dogleg left) left myself with a 8 iron that I need to start left and fade back to avoid the tree in front of me. It started back just fine but was short and hit a small cement dam in the waterway. You could here it hit and see it bounce probably 30 yards the wrong way.
Got up to and finished out the hole, and there was not a cut or scuff on this ball!!!!! I washed it off and couldn't find a scuff on it.
Whatever Srixon has done with the cover on the Q-Star Tour they have done it right, its durable !!!!!!

I hit these last weekend. I used the yellow version. I am extremely impressed by these. But, I really like the Z-star too! These definitely feel softer than the Z, but I'm a fairly high spin guy, so the reduction in spin is a good thing. Believe with the performance and price, these are the best golf balls available for a high handicap!

Very happy with these golf balls! Best ball available for the performance per dollar! I don’t think I will switch back to white either.

Last edited:
Back