2018 The Grandaddy: Live Update Thread

It appears as though, not official before 6:54am this morning via twitter that the Grandaddy of 2019 May very well be coming back.

This team did everything they could to bring it back for another year and I couldn’t be more proud of you guys for pushing this through the roof and an above and beyond coverage of it. The 18’ Grandaddy Team will indeed go down in infamy. Be proud of yourselves fellas and T4K & AssCap. Kudos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man! We appreciated everyone's support leading up to, during, and after the event!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The 2019 Grandaddy thread going up brought to my mind a conversation I had with Velardo on the bus ride to the desert. He talked about how all of their guys look forward to this event EVERY TIME, maybe more than we do. They were just as amped about the new equipment and hoping they would have the chance to game it for the event. He went on and on about how bad guys want to get in and how bummed that would be of they don't. Those guys are internet golfers at heart and they literally LOVE this event!

LONG LIVE THE GRANDADDY!

Finally got my shadow boxes done and have them on display in my cubicle at work for everyone to see. Already receiving compliments on them!
f9c21a56a07ade734c310006eda62131.jpg

Here’s another compliment: that looks awesome!!!

Here’s another compliment: that looks awesome!!!

Thanks man. I changed the pic in the small one to the same hole just a better pic.

Callaway may have made a little impact on my life...

Office
a2570f6555872c33eb8f90672270e4f7.jpg

Garage
872fb7bca74b7393227dfc94d031bd56.jpg

I also have a collage picture frame in the works. I'm curious how much stuff I can put up before my wife gets tired of it.

Callaway may have made a little impact on my life...

Office
a2570f6555872c33eb8f90672270e4f7.jpg

Garage
872fb7bca74b7393227dfc94d031bd56.jpg

I also have a collage picture frame in the works. I'm curious how much stuff I can put up before my wife gets tired of it.
It's so cool seeing all the teams shadow boxes and seeing how it affected each of us a little different but the same if that even makes sense. Lol

There are so many equipment threads I figure I’ll just post this once here.

I was very content with my prior bag. Hell, I was affirmatively happy. There was not a single piece of gear I was looking to move on from. Some of the spots were among my all time favorites. Yet here we are a month after getting new gear and I don’t miss any of the old stuff one iota. I suspect that seems obvious, who wouldn’t be excited about a bag full of new gear? But it goes well beyond that. Top to bottom everything in the release has been superb. I’m hitting shots that I didn’t have before, hitting more good shots and just loving it. I came home from a weekend where I played 85 holes over 4 days. Others in the group were talking about how they didn’t want to play again anytime soon. I was ready to go to the range the next day. The clubs are so addicting and golf is more fun now.

I’m not sure where I’m heading with this other than to maybe say I feel reinvigorated about the game. It wouldn’t have happened without the Grandaddy. Thank you THP and Callaway and the guys on the team.

Last edited:
That last paragraph nails it Frank

I was very content with my prior bag. Hell, I was affirmatively happy. There was not a single piece of gear I was looking to move on from. Some of the spots were among my all time favorites. I yet here we ar a month from getting new gear and I don’t miss any of the old stuff one iota. I suspect that seems obvious, who wouldn’t be excited about a bag full of new gear? But it goes well beyond that. Top to bottom everything in the release has been superb. I’m hitting shots that I didn’t have before, hitting more good shots and just loving it. I came home from a weekend where I played 85 holes over 4 days. Others in the group were talking about how they didn’t want to play again anytime soon. I was ready to go to the range the next day. The clubs are so addicting and golf is more fun now.

I’m not sure where I’m heading with this other than to maybe say I feel reinvigorated about the game. It wouldn’t have happened without the Grandaddy. Thank you THP and Callaway and the guys on the team.

I can speak for most of us here T4K when I say thank you for doing such an amazing job of bringing this event to the community and creating such a great follow.

This right here says a lot. You experience this great event and as time passes you don't realize how special it was, until a little memory takes you back. Your team did more than take me back to 2015, it woke me up and put a lot into perspective about golf and life away from golf.

I was very content with my prior bag. Hell, I was affirmatively happy. There was not a single piece of gear I was looking to move on from. Some of the spots were among my all time favorites. I yet here we ar a month from getting new gear and I don’t miss any of the old stuff one iota. I suspect that seems obvious, who wouldn’t be excited about a bag full of new gear? But it goes well beyond that. Top to bottom everything in the release has been superb. I’m hitting shots that I didn’t have before, hitting more good shots and just loving it. I came home from a weekend where I played 85 holes over 4 days. Others in the group were talking about how they didn’t want to play again anytime soon. I was ready to go to the range the next day. The clubs are so addicting and golf is more fun now.

The best part about this post Frank is that we can feel it. Your excitement and energy has been contagious and it's been so fun watching your scores drop and your confidence fly through the roof. Most of all, you and I talked a lot about wanting golf to be fun again when I first joined the team. It's amazing to see how The Grandaddy made that happen for us. How incredible is that?!
Like you, I'm itching to hit these everyday...even when that's meant hitting (and losing) countless balls into a field behind my house because the range is packed or has rough sand that I refuse to let destroy my clubs. It's just addictive and it seems like every swing let's me relive an early December in paradise that I'll never forget.

Love seeing all of the displace and keepsakes that everyone collected from their times at the GD over the years. Stuff like that is awesome and always make for amazing conversation starters.

Lots if reminiscing going on right now for me. I figured I'd post this here and let the 2019 thread enjoy the excitement of a new year and the forthcoming greatness for 12 new guys. One of the shining stars in my memory and in everything that is The Grandaddy is this man right here.

1f9d5d041789aace0cdc7b3a5ec3b4e1.jpg

After reading previous Grandaddy threads, I knew meeting Al would be an experience. @Nate's video from The Grandaddy 2017 was pure gold. Yet, much like most of this experience, words (and video) just didn't do it justice. Al and his, were extremely generous with a matching dose of genuine. And...Al just has that swagger you can only hope to have later in life. I couldn't believe how welcome I felt in the home of a man I'd never met and who'd never met me. What was even more incredible was his excitement over this event. He. Was. Amped!...and his speeches can make you want to run through a wall or grab a tissue. I'll never forget listening to him talk about the event or forget the rest of the fun we had that night.

I guess, I think it's important to me to highlight the fact that this event wouldn't even be possible without Al and his friends. I know it's been said, but it needs to be echoed. He and his friends were incredible hosts on the most exclusive of courses and they served us like we were there own family. No really. Guys like him and Matt Woods are some of the heroes of The Grandaddy.

Cheers to you, Al and thanks for letting 12 total strangers have the time of our lives at your house, eat your guacamole and experience a phenomenal golf course that happens to be in your backyard.

Lots if reminiscing going on right now for me. I figured I'd post this here and let the 2019 thread enjoy the excitement of a new year and the forthcoming greatness for 12 new guys. One of the shining stars in my memory and in everything that is The Grandaddy is this man right here.

After reading previous Grandaddy threads, I knew meeting Al would be an experience. @Nate's video from The Grandaddy 2017 was pure gold. Yet, much like most of this experience, words (and video) just didn't do it justice. Al and his, were extremely generous with a matching dose of genuine. And...Al just has that swagger you can only hope to have later in life. I couldn't believe how welcome I felt in the home of a man I'd never met and who'd never met me. What was even more incredible was his excitement over this event. He. Was. Amped!...and his speeches can make you want to run through a wall or grab a tissue. I'll never forget listening to him talk about the event or forget the rest of the fun we had that night.

I guess, I think it's important to me to highlight the fact that this event wouldn't even be possible without Al and his friends. I know it's been said, but it needs to be echoed. He and his friends were incredible hosts on the most exclusive of courses and they served us like we were there own family. No really. Guys like him and Matt Woods are some of the heroes of The Grandaddy.

Cheers to you, Al and thanks for letting 12 total strangers have the time of our lives at your house, eat your guacamole and experience a phenomenal golf course that happens to be in your backyard.

It really hit me when he said something to the effect of "a home isn't what you make it for yourself, but what you make it for others" ... he 100% exudes that sentiment and it is inspiring.

2018 The Grandaddy: Live Update Thread

It really hit me when he said something to the effect of "a home isn't what you make it for yourself, but what you make it for others" ... he 100% exudes that sentiment and it is inspiring.

I read that and thought a scene from Joe Dirt

77313e2fb9d888894fc60996396d7b38.jpg

I was very content with my prior bag. Hell, I was affirmatively happy. There was not a single piece of gear I was looking to move on from. Some of the spots were among my all time favorites. Yet here we are a month after getting new gear and I don’t miss any of the old stuff one iota. I suspect that seems obvious, who wouldn’t be excited about a bag full of new gear? But it goes well beyond that. Top to bottom everything in the release has been superb. I’m hitting shots that I didn’t have before, hitting more good shots and just loving it. I came home from a weekend where I played 85 holes over 4 days. Others in the group were talking about how they didn’t want to play again anytime soon. I was ready to go to the range the next day. The clubs are so addicting and golf is more fun now.

Well said Frank! I wouldn't have wanted that week to be any different and so glad it happened. It was like a time machine. It took me back to why I fell in love with the sport and I got to see everyone's reasons as to why they fell in love with the sport and before this event we didnt know each other but yet now I feel I know each of you very well and that if any of us needed advice or anything from each other we would be there for one another. Some may think its about winning a belt but in all honesty it has nothing to do with that belt. I mean we all have a competitive side and want to win, but this event is about building lifelong friendships and memories and seeing just how awesome the hospitality of Callaway really is. It's almost like a rejuvenation for us and the game of golf. It's just so awesome that this sport brought people from all different backgrounds and different walks of life together to become lifelong brothers!

I read that and thought a scene from Joe Dirt

77313e2fb9d888894fc60996396d7b38.jpg

Haven't seen it but that doesn't sound flattering. LOL

Edit: I found the scene and now I understand why you say that. Haha. I probably quoted Al poorly, but I understood it better than Joe in that scene.

I LOVE this shot! Dang man...why didn't we have someone else take the pic? I need @PhillyV in this one.
6579c72a1afbad39decba7ba35eef64b.jpg

A true host in every sense of its definition. Pretty special.

As I read about other people’s interest in the new equipment and their varying degrees of options for hitting stuff, I’ve been thinking back to the fitting. If I had done it myself I probably would have picked the same irons and hybrids in the same or similar shafts. I probably would have picked the same 3W and wedges but in different shafts. I never would have picked the driver or it’s shaft. And I seriously doubt I would have ended up in the same Odyssey putter as I was fitted to. The putter fitting was probably the most valuable because it gave me info I can use just about forever going forward - double bend face balance putters are best for my stroke.

I'm curious how much stuff I can put up before my wife gets tired of it.

When you change your name to Cal, THEN she’ll probably say something.

Dreaming of The Grandaddy on this gloomy Thursday morning. Sigh.....

Photo credit to PhillyV
de32065ee7ab9280c6a760b372a546b0.jpg
d5f6dd7d330a22683c3a9c81c9315ec8.jpg

Finishing the work week wearing the family crest!

1b73e0f5dfaca1ecdb377b79c654deac.jpg

Back