2019-2020 College Basketball Season

Big W over OU Suxs on last second 3. Puts Texas at 19 W’s w/ 1 last home game to get to the magic 20 W’s for a tournament invite. Amazing streak Shaka has been on when a few weeks ago it was only a matter of when he would be run out of town.
I hope that gets Shaka to stay a few more years.

What a crazy game.

My Illini can control their own destiny now thanks to some help from Rutgers last night. Win the next two games and get a share of the Big Ten Championship. Won't be easy as we have two ranked teams to go up against. OSU away and Iowa at home.

Been a really lackluster season for my Sparties after starting off preseason number 1, but per usual, it’s March, and I don’t think anyone wants to play us.

Texas a&m and Auburn are in a good one. Aggies up 5 with 1:39 to go.

Conference tournaments are underway.

The OVC's bizarre format where the top 2 seeds get byes to the semifinals unsurprisingly gets the top 2 in the finals -- Belmont vs Murray State.

Bubble teams are breathing easier after San Diego State erased a double-digit deficit to advance to their title.game.

Huge game between Rutgers and Purdue today! No team has earned an at large bid with 16 losses (Purdue has 14), and no team has made it with less than 3 wins away from home (Rutgers has 1). With a guaranteed loss coming up in the Big Ten Tourney (outside of winning it), the loser of this game is likely going to need to make history to be on the right side of the bubble. Boiler up!!!

Big game tomorrow. Illinois vs Iowa. Senior day. Go Illini!

Hate playing "basketball" against wvu. Wvu would win a national title with the those refs today.

Last NC State conference championships:

Football: 1979
Baseball: 1992
Men's Basketball: 1987
Women's Basketball: 1991 2020

v4SM9Jsu_400x400.jpg

Shame Purdue had a miss free throw to send game into an overtime loss. That should seal their fate. Would need a BIG showing in the tournament

Heavyweight fight between Illinois and Iowa last night. Illinois secured the double bye. Whew

Post-season awards rolling out...

Good semifinal matchups in the West Coast Conf:

San Francisco vs (2) Gonzaga
St. Mary's vs (14) BYU

Bubble watchers:

7-seed Wofford vs 1-seed East Tennessee State (26-4, NET 39, RPI 24, but only 3-2 in NET Q1/Q2 games), in the Southern Conference final. Can ETSU get an at-large bid if they lose?

I know it shouldn't bother me, but these San Francisco unis with "U.S.F" are just wrong. Period.

Gonzaga survives, by 4, over San Francisco. This is the 23rd straight year in the tournament finals for Gonzaga, and 25th appearance in 26 years.

St. Mary's knocked off BYU in the other semi. Gonzaga/St. Mary's for the 4th time in 5 years and 9 of the last 12 years.

Last edited:
Auto-bids on the line tonight:

Horizon: Illinois-Chicago vs Northern Kentucky
Northeast: St. Francis (PA) vs Robert Morris
Colonial: Northeastern vs Hofstra
Summit: North Dakota vs North Dakota State
West Coast: Gonzaga vs St. Mary's

First power-5 action tips, too, with first round games in the ACC:

12-seed Wake Forest vs 13-seed Pittsburgh
11-seed Virginia Tech vs 14-seed (last-place!) North Carolina

Probably the first time in years I didn't really pay much attention to college basketball. I looked at the top 25 today and was pretty shocked by some of the teams that were near the top, with being so used to see the same teams year after year. Could make for a very interesting tournament, and since I usually am awful at brackets, this year could just as bad as others, or maybe really really good? :D

Auto-bids on the line tonight:

Horizon: Illinois-Chicago vs Northern Kentucky
Northeast: St. Francis (PA) vs Robert Morris
Colonial: Northeastern vs Hofstra
Summit: North Dakota vs North Dakota State
West Coast: Gonzaga vs St. Mary's

First power-5 action tips, too, with first round games in the ACC:

12-seed Wake Forest vs 13-seed Pittsburgh
11-seed Virginia Tech vs 14-seed (last-place!) North Carolina
North Carolina is a sleeper here, beware of them.

Probably the first time in years I didn't really pay much attention to college basketball. I looked at the top 25 today and was pretty shocked by some of the teams that were near the top, with being so used to see the same teams year after year. Could make for a very interesting tournament, and since I usually am awful at brackets, this year could just as bad as others, or maybe really really good? :D

Kansas has clearly been the best team. Other than that, it is wide open. No other team has separated themselves from the field, so to speak.

As far as the teams who are not usually in the top 10 and are playing for a top 2 seed such as Dayton and San Diego St, it is important to understand that in the tournament, when they reach the second round the team that they will face will likely be the best team that have played in months. Their second round games will be very difficult. Their conferences are not the strongest. It's not like the Big 10 or the Big East where teams have been playing high level competition within the league on a daily basis for the past two months. The tournament is all about matchups and forcing teams to play a style they are not accustomed to playing. For this reason, the one team I wouldn't want to play is Virginia. No teams want to play game in the 50s.

Kansas has clearly been the best team. Other than that, it is wide open. No other team has separated themselves from the field, so to speak.

As far as the teams who are not usually in the top 10 and are playing for a top 2 seed such as Dayton and San Diego St, it is important to understand that in the tournament, when they reach the second round the team that they will face will likely be the best team that have played in months. Their second round games will be very difficult. Their conferences are not the strongest. It's not like the Big 10 or the Big East where teams have been playing high level competition within the league on a daily basis for the past two months. The tournament is all about matchups and forcing teams to play a style they are not accustomed to playing. For this reason, the one team I wouldn't want to play is Virginia. No teams want to play game in the 50s.

Thanks for going over this, and that's the beauty of the tournament, seeing teams and styles some teams aren't used to seeing before. Love the month of March!!

North Carolina is a sleeper here, beware of them.
Rece Davis thinks they'll be in the semis on Friday night. They'd have to beat Syracuse (and would probably be favored in that game) and Louisville to do so.

Rece Davis thinks they'll be in the semis on Friday night. They'd have to beat Syracuse (and would probably be favored in that game) and Louisville to do so.
For some reason it just feels like they are primed to go on a run and be a spoiler.

As far as the teams who are not usually in the top 10 and are playing for a top 2 seed such as Dayton and San Diego St, it is important to understand that in the tournament, when they reach the second round the team that they will face will likely be the best team that have played in months. Their second round games will be very difficult. Their conferences are not the strongest. It's not like the Big 10 or the Big East where teams have been playing high level competition within the league on a daily basis for the past two months. The tournament is all about match-ups and forcing teams to play a style they are not accustomed to playing. For this reason, the one team I wouldn't want to play is Virginia. No teams want to play game in the 50s.

Good thoughts on the second round being pivotal for schools from lower level conferences. Most of the recent mid-majors that have gone to the final four (Wichita St., VCU, Butler etc.) were under seeded and playing with a huge chip relative to respect from the selection committee. I think all of them knocked off some big programs in second round games to ignite the run.

Then look at Wichita St. the next year after their final four run. Plowed through a weak Missouri Valley conference undefeated, got a 1-seed and then lost a tough game to a very young 8th seeded Kentucky in the second round. Not easy to adjust to that jump in opponent quality without some sort of emotional edge. Gonzaga has figured it out over time but they had a decade prior to recent success with three or four 2nd round exits and a high seed from the selection committee.

Back