2019-2020 College Football Thread

Looks like the MAC cancelled all of their games

"Mid-American cancels fall football season because of COVID player health & safety concerns, sources told @Stadium. MAC took a huge financial hit when Power 5’s cut nonconference games & intends to try & play in spring".,

By next weeks end all conferences will follow.

And imo they should. Look at the wreck baseball has been. This isn’t worth it.

Football seems impossible to do as long as we believe we should be social distancing. Honestly, I don’t know how most team sports could take place for an entire season. The NBA bubble is working, but how do you pull that off for a full season?

Football seems impossible to do as long as we believe we should be social distancing. Honestly, I don’t know how most team sports could take place for an entire season. The NBA bubble is working, but how do you pull that off for a full season?
You don’t.

Sucks that it looks like we will have no CFB this fall but it will be the right thing to do. No way you keep people healthy in a high contact sport like football.

Since it is the University Presidents that will ultimately make the decision, they really will have no other choice.

Football seems impossible to do as long as we believe we should be social distancing.

for big 12 schools i've paid attention too, way more athletes came back to school with covid than have contracted it since being back on campus. Getting tested constantly and having a structure and motivation to do so will lead to less (not zero) cases. Going home to who knows what living situation, hanging out with friends, being back around parents and grandparents is likely more high risk.

problem is schools wanting to avoid liability in the first scenario, decisions are not being made for safety of the kids.

Fact is the NBA has been extremely lucky so far. (Adam Silver knocks on wood). Baseball has been an unmitigated disaster.

Regardless of a any bubble professional sports are different. Players are compensated, and quite significantly, for assuming any risk and the safety protocols they are operating under are bargained for by their unions.

for big 12 schools i've paid attention too, way more athletes came back to school with covid than have contracted it since being back on campus. Getting tested constantly and having a structure and motivation to do so will lead to less (not zero) cases. Going home to who knows what living situation, hanging out with friends, being back around parents and grandparents is likely more high risk.

problem is schools wanting to avoid liability in the first scenario, decisions are not being made for safety of the kids.

I've read and heard the arguments that the athletes may be better protected from the virus by being on campus and in a training camp environment. That makes sense. The problem is that that approach is not 100% foolproof.

And yes $$$ is the deciding factor either to play or not to play. On one hand it is wise to avoid potential liability ( but liability = $$$$$) On the other hand they're going to lose so much $$$ by not playing.

I've read and heard the arguments that the athletes may be better protected from the virus by being on campus and in a training camp environment. That makes sense. The problem is that that approach is not 100% foolproof.

And yes $$$ is the deciding factor either to play or not to play. On one hand it is wise to avoid potential liability ( but liability = $$$$$) On the other hand they're going to lose so much $$$ by not playing.
Or ask the kids?

Nope. PAC 12 will follow suit. I think the SEC, Big 12 (-2) and ACC drag it out a while.

It can drag out, but I don't think the ultimate decision will be any different.

Next question is if delayed to the spring how will they manage two football seasons in the same year? Or do we see the 2020 season cancelled entirely?

Next question is if delayed to the spring how will they manage two football seasons in the same year? Or do we see the 2020 season cancelled entirely?

I would assume that if they were to play in the spring, then the fall season would likely begin later in the year than usual.

I would assume that if they were to play in the spring, then the fall season would likely begin later in the year than usual.
Agree with you there. Just an all around disappointing situation for college athletes.

Big 10 (+4) have voted against conducting a season in the fall.

Know for a fact...the kids want to play and worked hard, the presidents of the university's made this call not the coaches and team.

Profile photo, opens profile page on Twitter in a new tab
Justin Hilliard
@JHilliard47

Years of work will come down to votes from Presidents and Execs who haven’t even witnessed our protocols and safety measures with their own eyes. Our guys are safe. #WeWantASeason

dan
@Danny_Vanatsky

Nothing has changed, so why shut it down now? It is apparent that this is less about the health & safety of us and more about maintaining a grip and control over the voices of players and coaches. We will be heard. We are not spoken for. #WeWantToPlay

Mickey Marotti

@MickeyMarotti

I wish everyone could see our players over these last 3 months, the last 3 days, and especially the last few hours. Never been so proud of a group of men !!!!! Ridiculous leadership, unbelievable energy and relentless fight !!!! All in order to play the game they love !! BUCKEYES
12:29 PM · Aug 10, 2020

Screenshot_20200811-071519.png

Pretty quick responses by some major conferences... seems the rest should come later this month

Back