2019 Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Fairways

KEV;n8905149 said:
I LOVE THIS 5 WOOD!! 245 yards left on a par 5, from the rough and I popped it right out, landed just short of the green and rolled up leaving about a 12 for putt. The really great thing is that I can hold back on it also and give myself yardage anywhere from 220-245. This is right up there for MVP of my bag for 2019.
The amazing thing is that you're getting that much distance in the dead of winter. Flash Face FTW!

Hi there, does anybody know how much is the stock weight in the standard Epic Flash 5 FW? Is it removable? Thank you!

Anyone playing the 3W up loft close to a 4W? Any better or worse or indifferent contact from the short grass? I kinda regret not ordering or at least trying the shorter 5W lofted down.

I've been playing mine at N, +1 lately (16*). The fall rains are here and carry is more and more important.

I've been playing mine at N, +1 lately (16*). The fall rains are here and carry is more and more important.
So I took your advice and went from D-1 to D+1 and no rights today on the 3w. Will know more if this helped or not but thanks for the advice. Another thing I will say is I thought I would lose distance due to upping the loft but I actually didn't lose any at all!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So I took your advice and went from D-1 to D+1 and no rights today on the 3w. Will know more if this helped or not but thanks for the advice. Another thing I will say is I thought I would lose distance due to upping the loft but I actually didn't lose any at all!

Awesome dude, glad you saw some improvement there.

Awesome dude, glad you saw some improvement there.
The ball went a little higher than I was used to but didn't lose distance and it went straight!

Gave the 3 and 5 a go today at lunchtime. Pretty much had the same results today as my driver. High flights that seemed to go forever for me. Little movement to the right but I expected that as well. If i get a chance to play another round this year, both these clubs need more time off the tee box. I used driver a lot this year mainly because I never had a fitted driver before, so it was more of a "since I have it, use it" instead of times where I shouldn't have, and my score showed. Hoping for one more time out!

I can't wait to finally put the flash 5w through it's paces tomorrow during our event. Gonna be fun to see how it works on long approaches and second shots on all the par 5s.

Just picked up the SZ 5W a week ago and have hit a ton of balls with it. Love it!

I picked up a 3wood couple weeks ago and I adjust to +2/N setting. Still not sure I’m getting best result with it but when I do hit it solid it provides decent results.

Only thing is the shaft it has. Evenflow green 65g in R.
It feels dead to me. Solid hit feels muted and feels loose from the top. It behaves strange if I give extra.
I play Recoil in my irons and I play ping tour R in my G400. I could give little extra without feeling I am over powering the shaft.

Anyone with detail experience with Evenflow green from callaway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ball went a little higher than I was used to but didn't lose distance and it went straight!

Have you played any more rounds since then? I also picked up a 3wood but considering adjusting the loft +1 to have it play more like a 4wood with added forgiveness but hopefully not any distance dropoff.

Looking back on my 2019 season the Flash 3 and 5 woods were definitely two of the highlights. I can absolutely smash these two clubs and they are so consistent off the tee. The 5 wood has been really versatile and is easy to use off both the tee and the fairway or rough for me. The performance out of the rough was really surprising. There hasn't been one time this year that I've felt the urge to try any other brand of wood which is a big thing for me.

Have you played any more rounds since then? I also picked up a 3wood but considering adjusting the loft +1 to have it play more like a 4wood with added forgiveness but hopefully not any distance dropoff.
I have and I switched back to the loft I was fit in and have made a few swing adjustments and I'm hitting the ball straighter in that aspect. I haven't had a ton of opportunities to use it lately, but I'm pretty sure it was my swing not the club lol.

I have and I switched back to the loft I was fit in and have made a few swing adjustments and I'm hitting the ball straighter in that aspect. I haven't had a ton of opportunities to use it lately, but I'm pretty sure it was my swing not the club lol.
Nice. How have they been in hitting off the deck? I doubt I'd ever really do this since it's just too inconsistent for my swing speed but thought I'd ask.

Nice. How have they been in hitting off the deck? I doubt I'd ever really do this since it's just too inconsistent for my swing speed but thought I'd ask.
I hit it off the deck mostly. I don't get a lot of opportunities to hit it off the tee. Off the deck is where I prefer to hit it anyway.

3w just arrived today and I love it. Adjusted to +1/N so it plays more like a 4 wood and found out I can actually hit it off the deck! So pumped. I thought adding the loft would make for an easier strike but didn't think it would make that much of a difference. It goes about 10-15 yds shorter than my driver, which will be great for short par 4's and 5's. Blown away by Callaway this year - Epic Flash Driver/FW and Apex irons are happy new additions to the bag

I am pretty sure me dropping back into the single digit handicap is the result of switching to my Epic Flash SZ driver and Epic Flash 5-wood. My old driver was a Cally RazrHawk that I had fitted from a traveling Callaway fittting van. Gamed that for near 7 years. Moving up was a no brainer even though I hit that one really well for a long time.

The driver just is simply fantastic. Ball pops off the face. ~160 mph ball speed for me and much easier to control. Its just silly good. Others say they don't like the sound but to me, I love it.

5-wood has become one of my new favorites. Its so damn easy to hit off the deck. Running it currently N at 18 degrees but might go to 17 and play it more like a 4-wood depending on how my new irons ( t200 with Oban CT125 shafts ) end up from a gapping perspective. Last time I hit it before putting the clubs away for the winter, I had 245 yards over water to a green protected on both sides by bunkers. I launched one out over the water, drew it back nicely, landed 5 yards short of green and rolled up. Out of the rough. My playing partners thought I was nuts to try to go for it in 2 out of the rough but I had to give it a shot, right? :giggle:

Last edited:
Went out for a quick 9 yesterday to try out the new 3 wood (+1/N setting). Hit a couple shots off the deck and both turned out great, solid with a draw flight. One of them was off a bare downhill lie, a shot that I normally would just hit a 5 iron to be safe, but I wanted to put the 3w to the test. I doubt I'd ever actually play that shot with the 3w in an actual round but it was fun to try! I also hit a tee shot on a short par 4 with a fade, which turned out fine. So far I'm happy with the workability. I'm just finally pleased to be able to hit a 3w off the deck for once.

Once again, Callaway has hit it out the park this year.

My 7wood came in yesterday. Just in time for my usual range session.
At first I either pull or hooked it. Set it to -1/N and bang!! I was hitting it straight with tad draw or slight fade which is perfect for me.
I hit some where I hit it why thin but ball got up in the air and didn’t seem to lost much distance. Very forgiving for my typical miss.
I now have 3 wood @ +2/N which is my 4 wood and 20* 7 wood. My top of my bag seems complete.
Considering I am not a good fairway wood player. This is awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still think the FWs were the standout of this lineup for Callaway. I love my Flash driver, but the 3W is such a great fit for me. Can't wait for xmas vacation so I can actually hit it somewhere above 40˚!

I think these Fairways sensed their was new competition in the market and decided to show out! Actually, I might just be swinging better but absolute lasers yesterday with both the 3w and the 5w. I love seeing the ball seem to hit an extra gear a second after it leaves the face. I tried to take on a couple par 5's in two just to see how they would play in cooler temps and I was just short of the green on both. Unreal! Can't wait for summer.

I think these Fairways sensed their was new competition in the market and decided to show out! Actually, I might just be swinging better but absolute lasers yesterday with both the 3w and the 5w. I love seeing the ball seem to hit an extra gear a second after it leaves the face. I tried to take on a couple par 5's in two just to see how they would play in cooler temps and I was just short of the green on both. Unreal! Can't wait for summer.

#OldTech

I have the Epic Flash 3 and 5 wood, but cannot seem to find a groove with them. When I hit them good they fly great. I just cannot seem to get a handle on hitting these. I keep tending to come up and top them. I know I must be hitting them like a driver - hard to get away from that. Just need more work to hit 'em good.

Back