2019 Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Fairways

Loving my Epic Flash driver and fwy woods. Took advantage of the price drop to pick up a 3 wood via CPO.

Sounds like a previous owner thing, like they glued a cotton ball in there to change the sound of it.

Got it out, it was a bunch of cotton balls. Glad I pulled both weights instead of just the rear before hot melting the head of I would never have gotten it out.

Wow, took this epic flash SZ 5 wood out to the range and it is great. Added 3 grams of hot melt after pulling out the cotton and this thing sounds great. I had a EF SZ driver last year and the only thing I didn’t like was the sound. Well this 5w sounds and performs great. I’ve been looking for a 230-240 club and this fits the bill.

3/8 FIR yesterday (2/6 with 3W and 1/2 with 5W). Not super great but recovered well with some good iron shots from the rough. Thinking of moving the settings around for next time out to see if I notice any major changes.

2/6 with the 5w yesterday, and one was a yard off the fairway since the tees were up and the whites on that hole played 260. Bombed a 5w on that hole going I believe 240 and got lucky with it not bouncing left and entering the green side trap. This course isn't as long as whites on other courses around here so I used 5w the majority of the time. Other than 2 that got away from it going into the trees, it was a content showing the the FWs.

Bumping an old thread because my time with this club has been really interesting. I'd hit this reasonably well on the range at ECPC, and pretty terribly during the competition at the grandaddy. For some reason, it just didn't click with me. In the nearly two years since, the 3W might by my favorite club in my bag. It's ab absolute weapon off the tee for me. As close as dead straight as can be for me janky swing. And as dry as it's been, it's been nearly as long as my driver.

It doesn't launch that high off the deck for me so I don't use it that often there - but at the same time I'm not often going for par 5s in two with a 3W in hand - just not a good risk/reward play for me. This is going to be one of those clubs that stays in my bag for a long time.

Playing tomorrow in a charity scramble with a buddy of mine and I'm pondering something I haven't in a while: messing with the lofts. I'm at the point where I noticed I'm launching it even higher with my fairways than I did prior. I'm not sure if it's a setup thing, a speed boost thing, or a spin thing. Either way, I'm pondering dropping the loft down a bit on both my 3 and 7w and seeing how it goes. 3w at 14 with a similar max height wouldn't be terrible, and a flatter ball flight at 5w standard loft wouldn't be the worst thing. it's a bored ponder that's going to happen on the range tomorrow morning, cause hey why not?

Back