2019 Callaway PM Grind Wedge

Before I played in The Grandaddy, I had picked up a 60 and 64 Hi-Toe wedges, which I liked quite a bit, and the high toe/full face grooves really grew on me. So when I got back from The Grandaddy, I customized a 64* PM Grind 19 to match my Tour Grey Jaws wedges. I thought it would be fun to mess around with, but I did not expect to use it very often. Well, now I think it's a permanent fixture in my bag. I'll rotate the 3+ and 4H out of the bag to make room, but the 64 has saved my butt way too often to sit in the backup bag ever. And while the leading edge/offset is what initially caused me to go Hi-Toe over PM Grind, I don't even notice it anymore--indeed, if anything, it may give me more confidence I can pop the ball up high out of any lie.

I was thinking about this one shot from the other day that completely changed the round--I was down big early, yet went on to win plenty of $. And it was a shot with the PM Grind 64. On a Par 3, my buddy sticks his tee shot inside 10 feet. Trying too hard, I overswing, and hooked the heck out of my 7i, ending up on the backside of a mound covered in fescue. We found my ball. Terrible lie. I grabbed my 64, intending to just chop down hard on the ball, hope it gets out and close to the green. I end up making better than expected contact, but lands short of the green, bounces on, and rolls to two feet. My buddy missed his birdie and we pushed the hole. I could feel the steam coming out of his ears.

While there was certainly a lot of luck involved in that one, the size/amount of surface area of the PM grinds make it so much easier to get solid contact when putting yourself in bad positions around the green. It almost feels like cheating.

I was thinking about this one shot from the other day that completely changed the round--I was down big early, yet went on to win plenty of $. And it was a shot with the PM Grind 64. On a Par 3, my buddy sticks his tee shot inside 10 feet. Trying too hard, I overswing, and hooked the heck out of my 7i, ending up on the backside of a mound covered in fescue. We found my ball. Terrible lie. I grabbed my 64, intending to just chop down hard on the ball, hope it gets out and close to the green. I end up making better than expected contact, but lands short of the green, bounces on, and rolls to two feet. My buddy missed his birdie and we pushed the hole. I could feel the steam coming out of his ears.

While there was certainly a lot of luck involved in that one, the size/amount of surface area of the PM grinds make it so much easier to get solid contact when putting yourself in bad positions around the green. It almost feels like cheating.

The PM is like legal cheating. Around the greens and out of the sand its automatic with a nice swing.

My 58° PM Grind was delivered today. Spent a little time chipping wiffle balls in the living room, it was fun to open up the face and loft them over the coffee table from a foot away. Obviously carpet doesn't give me much in the way of turf interaction, so I can't wait to get it out to the practice green and play around with it.

I've never had an issue with stock wedge shafts but this weekend I'll finally try a PM Grind with a Recoil 125 F4 shaft and am excited to see over the next few rounds if it's an overall improvement for me or just about the same.

Took the PM 58 out to the practice green / range this afternoon. What a freaking fun club! It was 107 degrees so I just wanted to hit maybe 50 balls, kind of get a feel for it around the green - it ended up being a 2-hour session, I was having so much fun I couldn't stop hitting it, with this big grin on my face the whole time. :LOL:

Sure, it works great with regular square-faced chips and pitches - but when you open up the face, that's when the magic starts happening. So much fun throwing those high, soft shots onto the green, and it just feels effortless. Turf interaction felt great on everything from (slightly) deep rough all the way down to baked hardpan lies. It's not a shot I ever try on the course, but it was fun laying the face wide open and "phlopping it like Phil", taking big swings and hitting it straight up in the air.

I normally chip square-faced, using the "hinge and hold" method - the PM Grind works fine for it, but I felt like I had better control when I opened the face a bit. The turf interaction feels smoother and for whatever reason, I felt like I had better distance control, even on shorter chips. I played around with both methods from various distances, and this club just feels like it wants to be hit with an open clubface - not surprising considering that Phil was instrumental in the design of it, I guess. I had a lot fewer duffs and thins than I normally do, too.

I took it over to the driving range for some full swings. It's actually kinda confidence inspiring to look down and see that big ol' shovel face behind the ball. I hit about 25 balls on the range - I'm a picker with my irons/wedges, and the turf interaction felt good to me, didn't dig a single trench or lay the sod over the ball. I wouldn't hesitate to take a full swing with it anymore than I would with any other club in the bag. Distance with a full swing was about 70-72 yards with garbage one-piece range balls, so maybe 80'ish yards with gamers?

Again, what a freaking fun club. If I wasn't melting out there today, I could have stayed for hours playing around with it. I'll be playing next Monday, can't wait to get it out on the course and see if my experiences today transfer over when it matters.

Really becoming a fan of the 60°, it take a bit of getting used to having grooves all the way up and looks odd at first. It does come in handy and I have used all of those grooves. While not a big fan of chipping with it, it is great out of the bunkers and it I am really short sided.

Really becoming a fan of the 60°, it take a bit of getting used to having grooves all the way up and looks odd at first. It does come in handy and I have used all of those grooves. While not a big fan of chipping with it, it is great out of the bunkers and it I am really short sided.
The 60* is a magic wand.

I've played the original 64 since it first came out. Turned me into a bunker wizard!
Super easy to hit accurate flops and actually surprisingly easy to control distance.
Definitely need a new one but I just hope the new grind suits me as well as the old one does.
Sometimes I wonder if I should have a lower lofted pm grind as well but difficult to say.
Does anyone carry more than 1 PM grind except Phil?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I've played the original 64 since it first came out. Turned me into a bunker wizard!
Super easy to hit accurate flops and actually surprisingly easy to control distance.
Definitely need a new one but I just hope the new grind suits me as well as the old one does.
Sometimes I wonder if I should have a lower lofted pm grind as well but difficult to say.
Does anyone carry more than 1 PM grind except Phil?

I tried the 54-60 combo for a while last year in the 2.0, I liked both well enough. I was never quite as comfortable with the 54 from the fairway as a non hi-toe design but is was very nice in bunker play. I ended up putting more rounds on my RTX-4 than my PM grinds last year however, I was just more comfy overall with the traditional shape. I probably need to stick the PM's back in for a while and give them another go.

I am getting more comfortable with the 58 on full swings. The 54 is out of the bag I don't use the 54 much out of the sand or for flops. If I was going to go to a one wedge in that range I could see a 56* PM being a very versatile club.

First round with the 58° PM Grind today. Nothing else in my bag was working particularly well, but this club was magic. A few highlights:

- 65 yard approach shot which landed less than a foot short of the pin, rolled over the lip of the cup and stopped 6" away for an easy tap-in.

- 10 yard chip from the rough holed out (one of my playing partners screamed "That thing is a WEAPON!") :LOL:

- 25 yard shot to an elevated green 10' over my head, with a bunker between me and the green, a narrow green running downhill away from me, and a bunker on the other side of the green. Opened the face and threw a high, soft shot which landed and stopped 6' from the pin (and then I missed the putt, of course).

- Effortless out from a crusty/hard packed greenside bunker (I often skull those shots).

The fun I was having with this wedge made up for the fact that the rest of my game was so freaking erratic today.

On Saturday I holed out from a bunker for the first time ever with my tour grey 58 and Recoil 125 F4 combo. Ball above my feet, somewhat firm sand, shorter but quick swing and ball came out perfectly and never really left the hole.

My up and down percentage has been the best ever since I added the 58. So much so that my Sunday group is convinced that I'm taking short game lessons with Pelz. That's the running joke anyway whenever I get up and down with the 58.

Like I've said in previous posts, I get away with a lot more mistakes with this wedge then I have with previous normal size wedges. This club really shines in the deep rough. Hitting high on the face is not punitive like it is with normal wedges.

My up and down percentage has been the best ever since I added the 58.

That is such a testament to finding something that works

Five up and downs with the PM Grind today, and my short game all around has never been better. This thing is a rock star.

My buddy was seeking some bunker advice so rather than ruin his game with my garbage tips - I just let him try my PM Grind.
He is now buying one.

That's the best way to sell one of these. If nothing else, it makes getting out of bunkers pretty automatic.

Ordered a replacement for my original 64. Will be interesting to compare the two, particularly in terms of spin and checking on chips and flops.
I think it was due but no doubt THP influenced me

First round with the 58° PM Grind today. Nothing else in my bag was working particularly well, but this club was magic. A few highlights:

- 65 yard approach shot which landed less than a foot short of the pin, rolled over the lip of the cup and stopped 6" away for an easy tap-in.

- 10 yard chip from the rough holed out (one of my playing partners screamed "That thing is a WEAPON!") :LOL:

- 25 yard shot to an elevated green 10' over my head, with a bunker between me and the green, a narrow green running downhill away from me, and a bunker on the other side of the green. Opened the face and threw a high, soft shot which landed and stopped 6' from the pin (and then I missed the putt, of course).

- Effortless out from a crusty/hard packed greenside bunker (I often skull those shots).

The fun I was having with this wedge made up for the fact that the rest of my game was so freaking erratic today.
Sounds promising , that is a tough shot, concrete bunkers in AZ.

Been struggling big time for over a month but I hit a chip close with the 58 at least once almost every round.

My last full swing of the day today was with the 58 from about 90 out of the rough over water. It landed a little past and ended up around 20’ past. I haven’t put a full swing on the PM in a while so it felt really good to get such a nice high shot out of the rough and a decent result (long was the proper miss due to the water)

Five up and downs with the PM Grind today, and my short game all around has never been better. This thing is a rock star.
In another wedge thread i asked about a wedge that would be good out of less than ideal sand sometimes a thin layer of sand over clay. You suggested the PM grind 58 degree That led me to this thread and all the great reviews including yours and Mikeg_74 where he said it makes getting out of the bunkers pretty automatic.. picked one up before league tonight and got to use it once out of the sand a flop and a 40 yard shot out of the rough to the green. It is amazing and every bit as good as people on this thread have said it is. One of the guys i played with was checking it out. Im sure he will have one this weekend. Cant wait to try more shots and distances with this. I was hoping for a wedge that would be good out of the sand. This wedge is that and more. Thanks for the suggestion. It is an amazing wedge.

In another wedge thread i asked about a wedge that would be good out of less than ideal sand sometimes a thin layer of sand over clay. You suggested the PM grind 58 degree That led me to this thread and all the great reviews including yours and Mikeg_74 where he said it makes getting out of the bunkers pretty automatic.. picked one up before league tonight and got to use it once out of the sand a flop and a 40 yard shot out of the rough to the green. It is amazing and every bit as good as people on this thread have said it is. One of the guys i played with was checking it out. Im sure he will have one this weekend. Cant wait to try more shots and distances with this. I was hoping for a wedge that would be good out of the sand. This wedge is that and more. Thanks for the suggestion. It is an amazing wedge.
Glad the reviews helped you and the wedge worked out for you! I must have read this whole thread start to finish 3 or 4 times before I finally jumped on it, and I'm glad I did - it really is an amazing wedge.

Back