2019 Cut Golf Grey Golf Balls

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
The staff here at THP is going to be putting the 2019 Cut Golf Grey golf ball in play to see how well it performs. Me personally, I have very little experience with a Cut golf ball so I am very much looking forward to this opportunity. Below is the information from Cut about the profile for the Grey golf ball, and others will be jumping in soon with their thoughts.

From Cut

Cut Grey is our softer compression performance ball with a 3-piece construction. Designed for players with moderate swing speeds who demand maximum performance.

SPECS

• 3-Piece Construction
  • Urethane Cover
  • Core and Mantle designed for optimal ball speed and spin
  • 314 Dimple Pattern
  • 80 Compression
  • USGA Conforming
Cut Grey costs $19.99 per dozen.

Attachments

• 75E85D2B-5D9B-4C34-A6B4-3F14646250C4.JPG
    75E85D2B-5D9B-4C34-A6B4-3F14646250C4.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • photo36353.jpg
    photo36353.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
  • Staff
Here is a look at the packaging. Note, these didn't not come in a traditional box carrying 4 sleeves, but instead just out of a USPS Priority Mail container.

Attachments

• IMG_2608 2.jpg
    IMG_2608 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • photo36354.jpg
    photo36354.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Looking forward to the feedback. I was told the new for 2019 Grey is pretty darn solid.

I’m gaming these. They seem to preform well for me and affordability is key at the rate I donate them to the course monsters. I have managed to cut/scuff one pretty good, but I’m certain that was from hitting it off some AZ rocks.

Reactions: JB
I’m looking forward to seeing what these can do. I’m very familiar with the Cut balls this year. I love the price tag and I just need to find the right one for me.

Bring on the fun.

Aww yeah! Will be taking these right into a tournament tomorrow as the debut so that should be fun.

Most curious to see the durability. If it really is improved that’s a big win imo.

Jman;n8889223 said:
Aww yeah! Will be taking these right into a tournament tomorrow as the debut so that should be fun.

Most curious to see the durability. If it really is improved that’s a big win imo.

That is bold. I love it. I would probably be more willing to take a new set of irons into a tournament than a ball I had never tried before.

• Staff
Probably looking at Thursday at the earliest for me to get some on-course time with these. I'm really looking forward to it as I feel like I haven't been on the course in quite some time. Will try to get some raw numbers with them as well if I can find which box I packed the GC2 in haha.

I'm looking at Friday at the earliest to get on course with these. Probably do a little putting practice this week at home to get used to the feel before heading to the course. Being completely honest here, I'm not a fan of the name for a golf ball, typically cut golf balls get thrown in the woods haha. Balls came as four sleeves in a priority mail box, there was no standard box to hold the 4 sleeves like normal golf balls. My guess is there is some savings there for the company that they pass on to the consumer. Otherwise packaging is nice as pictured in ddec post.

I do not have access to a launch monitor so my reviews will be based on my own personal perception.

I've now completed 4 full rounds with these balls. Please take my observations with the caveat that I'm 4 rounds back from a 16 year hiatus from golf.

Off the tee: I tee off with a 5W or 4H. The feel form these balls is pleasing to me. Definitely not range ball rocks. I'm getting good distance and true flight path. (true to my erratic swing)

Irons: When I make proper contact, I have a high ball flight. In part to that and the nature of these balls, they really land soft. And are typically within 10 feet of the ball mark on a green. more times that not within a foot.

Chipping: I don't have the technique yet to really spin it. However the distance and rollout is very predictable. They clearly spin well enough off for me to feel that if I make proper contact, they are going where I intend.

Putting: sound and feel off the blade is nice. no noticeable click, just confident soft feel. (brass non milled putter)

Durability: For me these have held up well. Since I'm a hacker, I tend to loose them often. I have managed to string 7+ holes together on the same ball and it showed no signs of wear. I have punished more than one off of our evil AZ rocks. while they do not come out unscathed, they have remained playable until I get them to the green. Then go in the "water" ball bin.

Would be interested in anyone that has played the 18 greys notices any difference. I'm down to my last six 18s and before I order more I am interested in anything that people might have noticed different. Trying some Blue DC right now.

Got my nice surprise from Cut Golf today, won't be able to put these through much of anything until Saturday as far as full swings and such. If I'm able to zip away to a course on Thursday for even some short game work, I'll update accordingly. I'd say there's about a 50/50 chance on that at this moment.

Packaging was just your standard USPS flat rate box, nothin fancy. Honestly, don't care for fancy when it comes to that stuff anyways so definitely not a bother for me either which way.

MWard ;n8890997 said:
Packaging was just your standard USPS flat rate box, nothin fancy. Honestly, don't care for fancy when it comes to that stuff anyways so definitely not a bother for me either which way.

yeah I can deal without the actual box and sleeves instead. I mean it's a better presentation than the Hopkins balls used to be where they'd just show up in a mesh bag

Sounds like many of us will have a chance to get out this weekend and try these out. Question for those following....what kind of info do you want to see from us testers? Happy to do what I can for testing.

jdtox;n8891462 said:
Sounds like many of us will have a chance to get out this weekend and try these out. Question for those following....what kind of info do you want to see from us testers? Happy to do what I can for testing.

I’m mostly interested in driver spin and if they launch higher/lower than something like a Pro V1 or Chrome Soft

jdtox;n8891462 said:

I think the biggest questions most people wil have are...
1-How durable are these?
2-How much spin do you get?
3-Are they shorter than your normal gamer?

Good stuff guys I'll be sure to note those points.

For those that have some of the 2018 version I would be interested in comparing the distance to the 2019 version. I liked the 18 Grey, but I lost distance when comparing to similar balls.

My delivery may have been late to the game but they just arrived! I'll test them out and pray for good durability

J.B. Cobb III;n8891531 said:
I think the biggest questions most people wil have are...
1-How durable are these?
2-How much spin do you get?
3-Are they shorter than your normal gamer?

what kind of spin are you looking for? Driver spin, iron spin, full wedge, partial?

ddec;n8891587 said:
what kind of spin are you looking for? Driver spin, iron spin, full wedge, partial?

YES...haha. Cut golf balls have usually been higher spin balls. Just what are your thoughts on spin during play.

J.B. Cobb III ;n8891721 said:
. Cut golf balls have usually been higher spin balls. Just what are your thoughts on spin during play.

I had a feeling yes would be the answer haha

Alright, I’ve had the balls for a day and I haven’t been able to touch a club but I spot checked three balls for any flaws. I've for a few thoughts - first, the cover feels a lot like the DC Blue that I reviewed a few weeks ago. That doesn’t mean it is the same but it feels and looks similar.

i found no blemishes on the three balls I pulled. This is certainly a promising sign - I’ve seen a few flaws in the past.

More to come. I want to swing some clubs and these need to be on the receiving end.

On the course right now testing these out and through 9 holes so far I’m impressed.

Initial thoughts

Feels good but soft especially off putter
spin on full shots is plenty good
spin around greens isn’t quite as good but acceptable

This is the only mark on the ball through 9
6819CFD7-F445-4976-8F06-34F011DAC6F0.jpeg

Solid improvement. Looking forward to your post round thoughts.

Back