2019 Cut Golf Grey Golf Balls

Not bad!

After a full round yesterday I am still pretty impressed with this ball especially at the price point these are at.

The ball feels soft, not Wilson Duo soft but to me it does feel a touch softer than a ProV or Zstar which currently are my normal gamers. Off driver, irons, wedges I actually like it as I have always preferred a softer feeling ball anyway but the putter is where is most noticeable and took some getting used to. I gave one to a buddy and he said the same thing about the putter and it bothered him so much he took it out of play.

Off driver I saw a nice ball flight and distance was on par with what I’m accustomed to. I was swinging the driver really well yesterday and off the face of my F9 it sounds great. When comparing to another ball I tried recently the MTB-X I much preferred the feeling/sound of the Cut Grey and yes I know they are completely different compression and makeup.

With regards to spin I did see the ball spin up a bit off the 3w when hit off a tee but didn’t seem to affect distance much. Into a stiff wind this could be an issue however. Full swing irons had enough spin to back up a few shots so holding greens is no issue at all. I am playing bladed irons though so YMMV. Partial wedges and chip shots for me were lacking a bit in the spin dept. compared to gamers. I saw a little more roll out with these on those types of shots

All in all I enjoyed the ball yesterday. I played the same ball for 18 holes yesterday and it was no worse for wear than the picture I posted earlier. Luckily the course I played has not cart paths and I didn’t hit any trees with it during my round haha. I have a few more rounds this weekend lined up at different courses and will continue to play this ball and post my thoughts.

jdtox;n8895663 said:
After a full round yesterday I am still pretty impressed with this ball especially at the price point these are at.

The ball feels soft, not Wilson Duo soft but to me it does feel a touch softer than a ProV or Zstar which currently are my normal gamers. Off driver, irons, wedges I actually like it as I have always preferred a softer feeling ball anyway but the putter is where is most noticeable and took some getting used to. I gave one to a buddy and he said the same thing about the putter and it bothered him so much he took it out of play.

Off driver I saw a nice ball flight and distance was on par with what I’m accustomed to. I was swinging the driver really well yesterday and off the face of my F9 it sounds great. When comparing to another ball I tried recently the MTB-X I much preferred the feeling/sound of the Cut Grey and yes I know they are completely different compression and makeup.

With regards to spin I did see the ball spin up a bit off the 3w when hit off a tee but didn’t seem to affect distance much. Into a stiff wind this could be an issue however. Full swing irons had enough spin to back up a few shots so holding greens is no issue at all. I am playing bladed irons though so YMMV. Partial wedges and chip shots for me were lacking a bit in the spin dept. compared to gamers. I saw a little more roll out with these on those types of shots

All in all I enjoyed the ball yesterday. I played the same ball for 18 holes yesterday and it was no worse for wear than the picture I posted earlier. Luckily the course I played has not cart paths and I didn’t hit any trees with it during my round haha. I have a few more rounds this weekend lined up at different courses and will continue to play this ball and post my thoughts.

You showed off a bit of durability after 9, did that stay true through the whole 18?

JB;n8895679 said:
You showed off a bit of durability after 9, did that stay true through the whole 18?

It’s not to bad I do see one other similar mark but that’s it. What is interesting is how the color of the cover has changed quite a bit. In this photo you can see the other mark and the color change compared to a new ball.

8A6FDE16-54C9-4C2A-BF2D-5F39EB5618A4.jpeg

Thats pretty interesting. I like what I am hearing about softer feeling, without too soft and performance holding strong.

JB;n8895716 said:
Thats pretty interesting. I like what I am hearing about softer feeling, without too soft and performance holding strong.

It will be interesting to see what others think as they test them out. For the price tag these appear so far to be a solid offering.

A day later then I was hoping for, but I did get out yesterday afternoon for some quality time with the Cut Grey ball. A little background on me and my season. For this season I have primarily played two different golf balls, Srixon Zstar XV and Oncore Elixr. I've played the Q-Star Tour ball in the past and have really liked that ball, and that is a ball that I would think would compare well to this one, at least that is my preconceived notion.

I was expecting this ball to feel incredibly soft, almost marshmallow-like, but after one round, I didn't get that feel at all. ESP off of wedges and the putter, which is where I kind of worried about it. There was plenty of spin on iron shots and wedges. Below are a couple of photos of two shots I wanted to highlight. The first one is with a full out 9 iron and you can see where the pitch mark is on comparison to the ball. On this particular shot, the ball flight was nice and high and landed super soft, even spun a touch.
IMG_2714.jpg

The second one is with a 60 wedge from just under 90 yards and this shot was just money. The ball hit roughly a foot past the pin, took one hop and stopped for a kick in birdie. That kind of control was pretty damn impressive
. IMG_2718.jpgIMG_2721.jpg

Off of the driver, I'll be honest, I didn't have the best driver swing yesterday so I it was hard to tell exactly what it was doing. On two occasions I hit what I thought were really good balls and they turned out to be just that. As I get back in the the swing of playing I will focus more on the ball flight off the tee. But on the ones I hit well I wouldn't say there was anything that would make me discount this one.

Overall impressions after one round, I think it feels better than the QST and offers more spin than I have been seeing out of Elixr. But again, only one round so all that could change or level itself out.

Interesting on the Elixr, because in my testing, it was extremely similar (to what you found). The Elixr just didn't offer much.

I used the Grey to my P790 testing against 3 other options, including the 2017 P790. When that was done I hit drivers and wedges to test spin and durability.

I liked the feel of the ball off the irons and they were flying the numbers I expect to see. That’s about all I could hope for. Driver numbers were good too and not nearly as “spiny” as the DC Blue. Thank god.

I finished with 20+ full swings with a 56 degree wedge and tried to rip the cover off the ball. Literally, I was trying to cut it up with full swings and spin rates over 11000. Only one noticeable cut - HUGE improvement in durability over the other models I’ve tried from Cut.

This has passed the simulator check with flying colors. The Grey goes live on course tomorrow.

Took these out for 18 holes yesterday in what I would call normal Florida wind and course conditions, paired against two other companies firmer cover models.

Off the driver, this ball kept up quite nicely in comparison to the other two models. It felt softer than the other two, which was to be expected based on the writing on the side of the sleeve saying it was a softer feeling ball. It was a few paces short of the other two consistently, but no more than 3-4 steps. Ground conditions being typical Florida soft, I kinda consider that a wash as far distance. If it was spinning just a couple hundred RPM more due to construction difference or even just quality of strike on my part, on top of the lottery of Florida turf bounces, it could explain the difference right there.

Mid irons, I saw a higher flight than the other two models, and all but one hop and stop spin when it landed on greens. Consistently, it was 4-5yds shorter than its competition. On shorter irons, the spin was wonderful, especially on half wedge shots. The ball was basically taking one big hop and checking to either a trickle or sometimes even a dead stop, while the other two were taking two bounces before grabbing. I think that shocked me the most? I wasn't expecting that kind of result whatsoever, yet it happened several times. It's like if I was playing for a two bounce shot, I'd probably need it to land 12-15ft from the pin so it could bounce twice and sputter to a stop. This felt like I had one bounce before it was gonna just stop. I'm guessing if this became a full time ball, I'd have to spend time with it to figure out how aggressive to be.

As far as the cover durability, it held up fairly well. One had a fight with a cart path and didn't do so great, and then the next swing, it failed a swim test with fantastic results. It was probably for the best. I didn't see any massive sheering or bits of cover in the grooves, so I'd say it's an improvement over some of their previous models.

All in all, I walked away pretty impressed by the Grey. It's definitely a ball I'm looking forward to spending more time with!

Ordered a sleeve of these to try. Hoping I don’t see the excessive spin and distance loss I saw with the Blue DC

The Grey got 9 holes yesterday, with 9 holes of a competitor ball as a control. I’m much more satisfied with the Grey than I was with the DC Blue, for whatever that is worth.

Putter - Grey felt fine off the flat stick. Nothing really of note here as it felt like a mid compression urethane ball. I do like the thick black line already on the ball. It saves me the step of using a marker when I change/lose a ball.

Wedges - ball had a one hop and stop on some flighted wedges, which is what I would expect to see. No cuts or gashes from the wedges was noticeable. Produced plenty of spin for my style around the green (a lot of bump and run, rarely high spin darts).

Irons - felt great off the irons as a soft/mid ball. Good sound at impact and plenty of spin to hold the greens. No noticeable difference in launch. Irons off the tee were as long as I’d expect them to carry but the ball kept plugging yesterday due to rain and over watering in the heat.

Driver - to the naked eye it looked like the Grey was launching a hair higher than the competitor ball. Not dramatically. It also might be the small sample size (only 5 holes on the 9 call for driver). There was plenty of wind swirling around so Driver numbers are hard to qualify but I was driving it as far I would expect compared to my normal playing partners. Nothing overly positive or negative to say here.

Trees - this ball does not go through tree trunks. In fact, tree trunks damage them. Highly recommend you not hit risky punch shots into tree trunks and expect this ball to come out looking perfect.

In sum, this is the best Cut ball I’ve experienced so far and I’m looking forward to continuing the trial. I think I can trust it for a full 18 (well, trust a sleeve over 18). I’ll let Jman and Canadan test a single ball over 18 or 36 holes.

Had my first casualty or "cut" in the Cut Grey. This was immediately after a buried bunker shot next to the edge. The good news is the result of said shot was very good and I'm pretty sure I made the putt or gave it to myself haha. Still very impressed with the feel of this ball. Having played it for almost two rounds I started to get used to the softer feel after putting this one into the bag and switching the a CSX it was night and day in the feel dept. I really struggled on the fast greens with the firmer ball in a mid round switch, something to keep in mind for future reference.

All in all I am a very surprised and pleased with what I've seen from this ball especially for $19.95. My only other experience with a cut ball was a few years ago, I think it was a cut blue and I didn't care for it at all. This is totally different feeling. My only complaint and its not major is that the color is slightly off white and grass stains seem to linger or make it worse.

Picture of the cut on the cut
BA2B9D3C-4C28-4A69-BF7D-89FD29F84B0B.jpeg

I need to find the ball I used the other day for some dry ball testing. It was the same one I used for the final 4-5 holes of golf from a few days prior. If I can grab it I'll throw up a pic of the cover.

Anywho, I did grab some numbers with this ball. For starters lets look at an 8 iron. Nothing crazy to me. I'm actually ok with all those numbers.

Ball Speed: 110.5 MPH
Launch Angle: 21.8°
Spin: 5793 RPM, 1 low 5000 guy keeps it from being just about 6k.
Peak: 32 yards
Distance:152 yards
Decent Angle: 48.2°

Looking forward to doing some short game work with these this week.

ddec;n8899912 said:
I need to find the ball I used the other day for some dry ball testing. It was the same one I used for the final 4-5 holes of golf from a few days prior. If I can grab it I'll throw up a pic of the cover.

Anywho, I did grab some numbers with this ball. For starters lets look at an 8 iron. Nothing crazy to me. I'm actually ok with all those numbers.

Ball Speed: 110.5 MPH
Launch Angle: 21.8°
Spin: 5793 RPM, 1 low 5000 guy keeps it from being just about 6k.
Peak: 32 yards
Distance:152 yards
Decent Angle: 48.2°

Those are all pretty solid looking to me. I haven’t found a shot this ball can’t do, which is pretty surprising to me? I figured the half wedge shot would be where it would fail, but it’s held up just fine.

JB;n8905403 said:
Looking forward to doing some short game work with these this week.

Looking forward to your thoughts. I continue to be impressed with this ball from a price/performance standpoint. The biggest adjustment for me was off the putter face being pretty soft feeling.

Still waiting on my trial sleeve. Was hoping I’d get them for this weekend’s round but it’s not looking good

These are getting back on the course tomorrow and I can't wait. Going to have my father and cousin put one in play too to get their thoughts. Based on my cousins swing, the over/under how about many shots until it's gone is listed at 1.5

The first version of the Grey was the 1st ball that I purchased, played a couple of rounds with & promptly dumped the rest on the practice green for someone else to pick up.

They launched too high & spun too much with everything but my wedges & they were considerably shorter & the wind ate them up.

I'd like to try the new version, but the 1st generation left such a bad impression on me that I'm hesitant to even give these a shot.

Shakey;n8906557 said:
The first version of the Grey was the 1st ball that I purchased, played a couple of rounds with & promptly dumped the rest on the practice green for someone else to pick up.

They launched too high & spun too much with everything but my wedges & they were considerably shorter & the wind ate them up.

I'd like to try the new version, but the 1st generation left such a bad impression on me that I'm hesitant to even give these a shot.

That’s the same thing I found. If I ever get my trial sleeve I’ll post my thoughts on the new version

Shakey;n8906557 said:

I did not try the previous version but if you read through this thread I think you will find this seems to be quite the improvement over those. If your looking for value... it might be worth a try.

I'm a bit late on the update but I played this ball for another nine holes last weekend. I saw some pretty impressively long drives and ball flights I would expect from my irons. This nine holes just reinforced what I saw the last nine holes. This may not be a selling point of the ball but I really like the thick, solid black line that is already on the ball. It helps with my putting and doesn't require any prep work before a round that I typically ignore.

Molten;n8906598 said:
I'm a bit late on the update but I played this ball for another nine holes last weekend. I saw some pretty impressively long drives and ball flights I would expect from my irons. This nine holes just reinforced what I saw the last nine holes. This may not be a selling point of the ball but I really like the thick, solid black line that is already on the ball. It helps with my putting and doesn't require any prep work before a round that I typically ignore.

See I like that... but I don't. I prefer a little color on my golf ball and for me personally I like a little longer line.

Molten;n8906598 said:

I finally got to spend some legit time with them off the tee yesterday and I was impressed as well, I've still not gotten any LM numbers, but I'm feeling like the spin is in a really good place for me.

Just like with the Blue though, I cannot state enough how much nicer the overall look of the golf ball, finish, and logo are from their first releases. They look like a quality golf ball and though that seems weird to point out, its a real issue for me with some golf balls out there.

I've really enjoyed it into the greens, good check, good response to me trying different things. I did cut one, no pun intended, but it took a long while.

Back