2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

So, just curious, is everyone thinking Epic Forged for the irons? Or....... potentially unknown super secret iron?

Part of me thinks we are going to see a redacted iron set unveiled.

Off the tee, why can't a driver launch higher and spin more than a fairway wood. More room to move the weight low and back obviously.
As an example, I can guarantee you I can launch the ball higher with the Epic Star 10.5 driver vs a Sub Zero 3 wood.

As a guy that says he is low launch and low spin, you seem to gravitate towards low spin and low launch metal woods, why is that?

Where do you cut off your irons? 5 iron to 4 hybrid to 5 wood?

Where do you cut off your irons? 5 iron to 4 hybrid to 5 wood?

Depends what I am playing.
Im certainly not making a case for people having 2 drives, I am pretty sure Callaway will limit it to 1, but the logic that a FW Wood will automatically launch higher and spin more is flawed was my reasoning for the post.

So, just curious, is everyone thinking Epic Forged for the irons? Or....... potentially unknown super secret iron?

I have hit the Epic Forged a couple of times. I really liked the feel. The distance is a little silly. Super long. They for sure have their place in this world and would really help out guys who are looking to extend their range a bit with their irons. But, for me, I would probably opt to stick with either a new super secret iron or something that is out and will remain current, depending on the fitting. But, the Epic Forged 4 iron has some serious opportunity to become my driving iron. It was 10-15 yards longer than my X Forged UT. Wasn't as straight so I would like to see if I can try it with some heavier shafts. The most important thing was how sweet it felt compared to the UT which can be a little too hollow feeling.

Depends what I am playing.
Im certainly not making a case for people having 2 drives, I am pretty sure Callaway will limit it to 1, but the logic that a FW Wood will automatically launch higher and spin more is flawed was my reasoning for the post.

Oh, I get it. I was just curious. I think for a guy who doesn't hit 3W off the deck and wants something for the tee could seriously consider a second driver. Should be more forgiving.

Oh, I get it. I was just curious. I think for a guy who doesn't hit 3W off the deck and wants something for the tee could seriously consider a second driver. Should be more forgiving.

You can still carry a FW wood with 2 drivers. With how long some hybrids and long irons are flying, filling gaps is not an issue at all. It wasn't that long ago that driver, 3 wood and 5 wood was the norm. At the end of the day, I can tell you one thing about the fittings. They could tell someone exactly what to play, and the person swinging is going to choose what they want. Which is okay, because you have to like it. The FW Wood off the deck is still not a high percentage golf shot.

Its just a bit funny. Because every time a thread comes up that says "what driver should I get" the answer is get fit. Yet the same people saying that, fit themselves each time haha.

I’m definitely anticipating a new release. I’d consider an epic forged in a 4i(3i) spot but probably only there. Will be interesting to see how whatever is coming stacks up to apex.

I think a lot of guys are going in with open eyes and want the best fit for their games. I know some are playing Apex 19’s and like them, others have hit the epic forged and know a complete sense won’t make sense based on distances.

I suspect Callaway has a secret set up there sleeves that will blow some minds, but if they don’t there is plenty in the current catalog to choose from imo.

It is fun to speculate and dream, so don't stop.

But just know, you basically get access to anything they sell and you've got world class fitters there to help you figure out what is best for your game. It is pretty hard not to get super excited about the new release stuff that you'll see before everyone else...that tends to influence choices :)

Go into the fitting with some idea of what is important to you and what you prefer/like (for example, I was pretty committed to playing graphite shafts). After that, just enjoy the ride and keep smiling.

I’d say there might be a chance we see a rogue line-type of iron refresh or something comparable and if we do, I’d probably strongly consider the pro or tour version of that. The Epic forged are beautiful but I only see myself potentially gaming a driving iron in those.

Otherwise I’d put money on the Apex Pros (which also has potential to be a new release) for myself. They are a fantastic set of irons and are so soft off the face.

With all that said, Callaway could very well have something up their sleeves. Ultimately I’ll defer to the fitter who will tell me what I need!

I’d say there might be a chance we see a rogue line-type of iron refresh or something comparable and if we do, I’d probably strongly consider the pro or tour version of that. The Epic forged are beautiful but I only see myself potentially gaming a driving iron in those.

Otherwise I’d put money on the Apex Pros (which also has potential to be a new release) for myself. They are a fantastic set of irons and are so soft off the face.

With all that said, Callaway could very well have something up their sleeves. Ultimately I’ll defer to the fitter who will tell me what I need!

I'd love to see a new MB released that can be blended in with Apex Pro's at the top of the bag. Then a new UT to test out against the Epic Forged 4 iron.

Off the tee, why can't a driver launch higher and spin more than a fairway wood. More room to move the weight low and back obviously.
As an example, I can guarantee you I can launch the ball higher with the Epic Star 10.5 driver vs a Sub Zero 3 wood.

As a guy that says he is low launch and low spin, you seem to gravitate towards low spin and low launch metal woods, why is that?

like what? i gamed an m3 for a hot minute because i hit it great on your gc quad when we were testing nippon graphite shafts. then it stopped working. not my fault of course lol

i can’t think of another low low wood i’ve gamed though. at least not on purpose.

but your example is a high high against a low low, and the head/build weight issue isn’t solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i will put myself in the fitters hands but will speak up and give at least my own feedback.

i don’t think the epic forged will be the default for all of us. i think some of us would be a great candidate for those, and others will probably fit into a different profile.

for me, i think it will be hard to beat my apex cf19 i’m already gaming. got fit earlier this year and i’ve loved them. but we will see, and it will be so much fun!!!

like what? i gamed an m3 for a hot minute because i hit it great on your gc quad when we were testing nippon graphite shafts. then it stopped working. not my fault of course lol

i can’t think of another low low wood i’ve gamed though. at least not on purpose.

but your example is a high high against a low low, and the head/build weight issue isn’t solved.

You have had a lot of clubs, so I am sure I am forgetting some haha.
A higher spin head doesn't have to have a super light shaft. I have a 65 gram shaft in a Epic Star that will launch as high and with as much spin as any 3 wood out there ?
And its awesome.

A higher spin head doesn't have to have a super light shaft. I have a 65 gram shaft in a Epic Star that will launch as high and with as much spin as any 3 wood out there ?
And its awesome.
I think I’d like that combo

A higher spin head doesn't have to have a super light shaft. I have a 65 gram shaft in a Epic Star that will launch as high and with as much spin as any 3 wood out there
And its awesome.

that does sound pretty damn great actually

i have actively stayed away from anything low low at the top of my bag unless the numbers say otherwise. two drivers ago was low low and i was shocked it worked, less shocked when it didn’t work any longer. i would be shocked if i get fit into low low, but will go with whatever they say.

While I am looking forward to hitting them, not sure it is an iron I want to game. I have my eye on Apex right now, but am very open to what the fitter would suggest works best from the trackman #'s. Would love to see a new iron that hasn't hit the streets yet.

I hit the Epic Forged seven iron and was blown away by the distance and feel. I carried it 190 yards and it was very easy to hit and felt great. I do not need that much distance and I am concerned by the low spin nature of this iron. I will consider a set but feel like they will find a better fit for me.

If I had to choose from the current lineup, I'd likely go the Epic Forged route. From the limited time I've been able to hit it, it felt really nice. I need to go back again and see if I can get some numbers from it. While the Apex feel good, they are really probably not the best choice for my game, as it related to forgiveness.

That being said, I'll be very interested to see what other possible iron choices are available in a couple of months. If it's a Rogue refresh, I'll be very interested to see what tech they have in it, and how it could possibly help me.

Looks to be a great day with a contest for a Grandaddy spot.

it was great to see this thread buzzing yesterday. work has been challenging the last few weeks and i am ready to dive back in here, there and everywhere.

the thp info and reviews around the interwebz have me really excited about the jaws wedges. i think the thing i'm most interested in is having the ecpc fitters make bounce and grind recommendations for me. my challenge from now until the event is finding a reliable, repeatability short game motion. it continues to be a struggle.

Two spots left... Crazy to think the twists and turns this journey has taken the guys so far. They've been open and transparent with the forum and bringing everyone along for the ride. Hopefully the forum has appreciated getting to know these guys because I know I have. Two more spots to go and the next 75 days or so will fly by.

It's no secret the passion I have for this event and I am trying to have some of that rub off on this team. Chris has a vision of community engagement and these guys have knocked it out of the park. Behind the scenes these guys are bouncing off the walls and ready to go. To the two future teammates; you'll hit the ground running and joining an amazing group. Harry's rule #1 is a staple for this team so don't worry about "how will I fit in" or "I hope these guys are welcoming". There is a lot of catching up to do, but it's worth it.

To the JB, GG, all the previous Grandaddy participants and the forum as a whole, thank you for supporting this event. The fact that this one keeps coming back is a testament to those who dreamed the impossible for us internet golfers and the participants each year who left the event better than they found it. I can't wait to shine up that "G" this December and be a part of a team that will leave a positive mark on this event.

Two spots left... Crazy to think the twists and turns this journey has taken the guys so far. They've been open and transparent with the forum and bringing everyone along for the ride. Hopefully the forum has appreciated getting to know these guys because I know I have. Two more spots to go and the next 75 days or so will fly by.

It's no secret the passion I have for this event and I am trying to have some of that rub off on this team. Chris has a vision of community engagement and these guys have knocked it out of the park. Behind the scenes these guys are bouncing off the walls and ready to go. To the two future teammates; you'll hit the ground running and joining an amazing group. Harry's rule #1 is a staple for this team so don't worry about "how will I fit in" or "I hope these guys are welcoming". There is a lot of catching up to do, but it's worth it.

To the JB, GG, all the previous Grandaddy participants and the forum as a whole, thank you for supporting this event. The fact that this one keeps coming back is a testament to those who dreamed the impossible for us internet golfers and the participants each year who left the event better than they found it. I can't wait to shine up that "G" this December and be a part of a team that will leave a positive mark on this event.
Well said bro. This squad is embracing this event like the true privilege it is. Says a lot about the captains at the helm.

considered yourself poked you cuddly wuddly widdle bear

Finley be like:
francis-buxton.jpg

I wonder who you might draw for Thursday singles ?

I am feeling pretty confident about our team chemistry for the event. When we all show up it is going to be like a reunion of old friends. I think that eliminates one variable in the sense that we will all be pretty comfortable with eachother. Now, how that fares once we start getting blown away by the event is yet to be seen. But it's a good feeling. If we win, awesome. If we lose, at least I know we will be enjoying eachothers company the entire time. No pressure to play to a certain level. Just a general understanding that we are all going to have a great time and take in the experience as a whole. @McLovin & @mikeg_74 have been doing a fantastic job of keeping things in perspective. Having an assistant captain who is as passionate about this event as Mike is invaluable.

Love this team! Really looking forward to getting the final teammates added.

Back