2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

curious what you think the reason is that we tend to get rolled up so often in this format? do we put too much pressure on ourselves? are we just not used to playing the format at all?

i don't have a ton of experience with alt shot. when i played it in the morgan cup last year, my partner was @ChristopherKee and we only won because he played so darn well.

The mind set always needs to be, what do you want into the green partner that makes you comfortable, and then don’t you dare apologize if you have a bad shot. It is the true definition of ham and egging it.

The mind set always needs to be, what do you want into the green partner that makes you comfortable, and then don’t you dare apologize if you have a bad shot. It is the true definition of ham and egging it.
Amen!

you don't apologize for a bad shot, you demand your partner hole it out! :devilish:

im slightly on a different side of I agree never apologize for any shot, but with alt shot just play your game and let the next shot be what it will be. If you get bogged down in trying to hit a shot to a number because that helps your partner that’s throwing some pressure on the situation.

we aren’t that good to hit shots/distances on command, throw in the environment and nerves and it can get away from you pretty quick.
I agree on trying make the other person comfortable, but part of that is hitting the shot you are presented with and having faith in your partner to execute the next one.

im slightly on a different side of I agree never apologize for any shot, but with alt shot just play your game and let the next shot be what it will be. If you get bogged down in trying to hit a shot to a number because that helps your partner that’s throwing some pressure on the situation.

we aren’t that good to hit shots/distances on command, throw in the environment and nerves and it can get away from you pretty quick.
I agree on trying make the other person comfortable, but part of that is hitting the shot you are presented with and having faith in your partner to execute the next one.

I've always tried being as flexible as possible in an alt shot type of format. I think when partners have asked me what distance I wanted them to try getting to my response is usually "hit it as far as you can comfortably hit it to and I'll figure it out from there".

I've always tried being as flexible as possible in an alt shot type of format. I think when partners have asked me what distance I wanted them to try getting to my response is usually "hit it as far as you can comfortably hit it to and I'll figure it out from there".

that sounds like a pretty solid approach. Kermit simple and the pressure is off

that sounds like a pretty solid approach. Kermit simple and the pressure is off

I figure golf is hard enough, especially when you're in an event with other things running through your mind so try to keep it simple.

I get that, I guess it’s more like hey you don’t need to leave me lob wedge in, just play your game and no matter what, I got your back.

In the back of my head I’m always going “oh god don’t leave me in the woods please don’t leave me in the woods, there aren’t even any trees out here”

I like to play to my strengths; I’m very good navigating woods, deep roughs, sand, gravel, pine straw. I play from these lies all the time; honestly don’t know what I’d do if I had to hit a shot from the fairway

I get that, I guess it’s more like hey you don’t need to leave me lob wedge in, just play your game and no matter what, I got your back.

In the back of my head I’m always going “oh god don’t leave me in the woods please don’t leave me in the woods, there aren’t even any trees out here”

i agree with you wardy. some people loathe certain shots. so playing away from a guy’s weakness is totally fine.

i agree with you wardy. some people loathe certain shots. so playing away from a guy’s weakness is totally fine.

I agree with you to a degree. But My thought is to play the highest percentage shot for YOU. Discussion is key but ultimately play the shot you’re most comfortable hitting.

Hoping that we'll get our last teammate this week.

Looking forward to every little tidbit of event info that will creep out over the next 57 days prior to stepping on the airplane for San Diego.

Spent some time this afternoon working with Dan. He’s got a good short game, but wanted to offer some tips to eliminate some variables with his short game and provide some more consistent results.

I’m no short game guru, but with a mediocre iron game, I have have developed a method to help me get out of trouble and save scoring around the greens.

it will take some getting used to, but he saw the results compared to his current way and the differences were noticeable.

06D668CC-EBC0-43EA-8321-8F2F33841096.jpeg
8A9C3BDF-5E57-4727-8F82-D411657921CD.jpeg
54185353-98AE-44ED-875B-497E6609F7DB.jpeg
673CB811-9AB9-4ED5-B8E6-059260DDB3F8.jpeg
View attachment trim.A0752A10-CA3F-46B3-BC37-B40D4EFD6A50.MOV

That's some real good work! Getting some good tuneups for the grandaddy!~

Love seeing my guys working together! @mikeg_74 @badolds

I happened to get in some short game practice today too, and I really started thinking about a PM Grind LW. Just seems so versatile around the green. I'm really excited to figure out my wedge setup. If I was fitted into the Epic Forged, for example, I'd have so so many different wedge combos: set PW, AW, GW - Jaws 56 - PM 60; set PW, AW - Jaws 50, 55, 60; set PW, AW - Jaws 50, 56 - PM 60; or set PW, AW - Jaws 52, 58 - PM 64. This is going to be fun!!!

Last edited:
That's awesome to see. Short game is King, especially at an event like this.

I agree with you to a degree. But My thought is to play the highest percentage shot for YOU. Discussion is key but ultimately play the shot you’re most comfortable hitting.

To an extent. If your best play you think is hitting a short iron to 60yds from out of the rough or on a par 5, but that’s not a shot I practice at all, that’s going to be pretty ugly. There’s gotta be a happy blend of what do you like, what do I like, and where’s the happy blend

To an extent. If your best play you think is hitting a short iron to 60yds from out of the rough or on a par 5, but that’s not a shot I practice at all, that’s going to be pretty ugly. There’s gotta be a happy blend of what do you like, what do I like, and where’s the happy blend

No you’re totally right. That’s what I meant by discussion. Whatever the high percentage shot is for you though just takes precedence over your partner needing a certain number to the pin.

No you’re totally right. That’s what I meant by discussion. Whatever the high percentage shot is for you though just takes precedence over your partner needing a certain number to the pin.

Texas sized 10-4 there friend. I have no doubt you and your partner will mean no matter what. I’ve got some high hopes for you boys!

Back to the range today to get some work in. A few weeks off might have been a good break. Some solid contact today with irons. Also took a quick look at the jaws wedges but didn’t have a chance to hit them.

I can't echo this enough. Finding the distance that leaves your partner confident of the next shot just makes it fun. Some guys don't want a 75yd wedge shot. They would prefer 120yds so you dial that and live with the results.

Last edited:
I'm really excited to figure out my wedge setup. If I was fitted into the Epic Forged, for example, I'd have so so many different wedge combos

This is the set that has created the most combos for me as well. It's fun to think about the possibilities.

Awesome work Mike and Dan. Happy to see 2 members able to meet up and get some work in together.

The better question is how many flop shots did you practice!?!?

Awesome work Mike and Dan. Happy to see 2 members able to meet up and get some work in together.

The better question is how many flop shots did you practice!?!?

Don’t discount the importance of a good flop shot. @KEV had one that made @JasonFinleyCG say bad words and I had one that made @Luke WilliamsCG question my parentage. (All in good fun of course) A good flop shot will definitely annoy the ZooCrew, and help you get in their heads.

Back