2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

pretty damn cool feeling when the team is complete. so pumped for you guys.

Now begins the next phase of planning for the team to come home with the belt.

The intensity level just got taken up a notch!

giphy (7).gif

pm has been received. it's all happening!

That’s a good PM isn’t it?

i'll say this without saying too much: there are requests in that pm that i DID NOT expect. requests that have me even more excited!!!

Other than seeing the Congratulations PM from JB, that was an awesome PM to get. Seems even more real now.

Those are the PM's that keep you up at night. Hehe!

Other than seeing the Congratulations PM from JB, that was an awesome PM to get. Seems even more real now.

Absolutely - it was great to come into work this morning and have that PM be one of the first things I saw. Is it bad that we're still almost two months away and I'm already the equivalent of short-timers at work? I don't know that I'm going to be all that productive as it gets closer and closer.

We're getting closer and closer.

Screenshot_20191012-121305_Time Until.jpg

I still cannot believe this. So many of my friends and family cannot believe is as well. I send them the 2018 Grandaddy thread to get an idea of what’s going to happen.

love the chemistry with this team. I cannot wait to meet everyone in person and share this amazing experience with them all!!

i have reached out to a semi private course about joining. hopefully i’ll go meet with them next week. it’s a great track, with a fantastic practice facility and rarely busy because they keep the greens fee high. my thought is the cost will be nominal since i won’t be buying clubs for awhile :) but also i’ll have a great practice facility and course to put the clubs through their paces and give tons of feedback to the forum.

I can only imagine how y'all feel and it HAS to be even more being the Grandaddy....I know when we were weeks out from the TM event, and there were questions coming on PM's form Taylormade, it was just amping with every inquiry....enjoy gentlemen...ENJOY! can't wait to follow your event this year

Last edited:
December is almost here. When it was 100 degrees outside, it was difficult to think that December and the event was nearing. But now that Halloween is upon us and it’s finally cooling down outside, it feels like the grandaddy is SO close. We’re less than 2 months away and I just think about getting off that plane in San Diego, knowing everything is about to change!

Just ordered two chipping nets, short game has to travel for this one.

I'm certainly not going to imply that the Hideaway is an easy course, because I know it's not. But, for me it's easier to adapt my game to courses with open fairways, than it is to deal with lots of trees. I'm spending more time on Google Earth, looking at layouts and trying to think about how I'd play various holes. This won't fully prepare me for actually walking on those perfect courses, but I hope that at least some of the unknown will be removed from the equation. Playing with completely new gear and the overall hype of those days will be hard enough to manage. No matter what, it's going to be good. Real good.

7 weeks from today...we’ll all be traveling to Southern California... :eek:

I'm certainly not going to imply that the Hideaway is an easy course, because I know it's not. But, for me it's easier to adapt my game to courses with open fairways, than it is to deal with lots of trees. I'm spending more time on Google Earth, looking at layouts and trying to think about how I'd play various holes. This won't fully prepare me for actually walking on those perfect courses, but I hope that at least some of the unknown will be removed from the equation. Playing with completely new gear and the overall hype of those days will be hard enough to manage. No matter what, it's going to be good. Real good.
I'm trying to think back on what got me in the most trouble and I would say water and fescue/long grass was the biggest challenge. And sand!

I'm trying to think back on what got me in the most trouble and I would say water and fescue/long grass was the biggest challenge. And sand!

Would you say playing aggressive gets you into trouble? Or just not hitting it in the right spots?

Would you say playing aggressive gets you into trouble? Or just not hitting it in the right spots?

You have to remember that its team golf, so rarely are you just playing your own thing.
It's why I have stressed for a while for those that struggle with repeatability and their swing, should really be spending their time with that focus. Practicing putting, chipping, etc. That's fine, but the grass, greens, and bunkers are all going to be different than what you are used to. If you are a fairly low handicap, that should be your focus. If you are a high handicap, focus on the golf swing for TWO REASONS.

1. It will abandon you and nobody wants that. The idea of "look at all my pops" has resulted in a loss just about every time it has been a thing.
2. You have a chance to go through the fitting of a lifetime. Wouldn't you want your swing to be the best possible swing it can be?

It was just bad shots. I remember a couple of tee shots that we either pushed or pulled in to the tall grass and a couple water balls from bad shots. One was a push with a hybrid and another was a chunky shot that landed short and in the water.

Playing aggressive can get you in trouble in a couple spots but overall I thought the courses were very fair. Hit the ball straight and you're fine. Get a little offline off the tee and you might find some sand or tough grass. The are a few holes where it's best to play target golf off the tee but for the most part it's pretty straightforward. I thought it was a great combination of being challenging yet fair.

The idea of "look at all my pops" has resulted in a loss just about every time it has been a thing.

Yeah, sitting back and relying on a what-if doesn't sound like a good game plan to me. One doesn't have to be aggressive to play good golf, but assuming that pops are going to carry you, is a recipe for a big ol "L".

Back