2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

I'll throw this out there too as I'm raw with a frantic emotion. Did you guys ever really feel ready? You can plan and plan and plan but when the time comes do you step up to the airport feeling like you have everything you need and are ready to take it in?

I am a nervous traveler. First, I do not like flying. Second, I'm a worrier. I never feel prepared.

Do your nerves ever really calm down? Or did the butterflies accompany you through the whole event?

I’m not a nervous traveler at all but man was I amped up on the flight out there. I stayed at the airport hotel the night before as I had a relatively early flight and maybe got 2-3 hours sleep.

If you’re one to take part now and then adding a vodka to an OJ on the plane worked wonder for me getting into the mindset.

For me the butterflies calmed down after the first hole with Clayton. Got off to a horrific start, but came back and halved the hole and everything was gravy from there. But everything about the event before then? They were there, even if just a little.

The Callaway guys will have you feeling like you’ve known them forever in no time and it’s welcoming from the get go. But until a few tee shots had flown for me I had that anticipation.

I'll throw this out there too as I'm raw with a frantic emotion. Did you guys ever really feel ready? You can plan and plan and plan but when the time comes do you step up to the airport feeling like you have everything you need and are ready to take it in?

I am a nervous traveler. First, I do not like flying. Second, I'm a worrier. I never feel prepared.

Do your nerves ever really calm down? Or did the butterflies accompany you through the whole event?

I’m not a nervous traveler at all but man was I amped up on the flight out there. I stayed at the airport hotel the night before as I had a relatively early flight and maybe got 2-3 hours sleep.

If you’re one to take part now and then adding a vodka to an OJ on the plane worked wonder for me getting into the mindset.

For me the butterflies calmed down after the first hole with Clayton. Got off to a horrific start, but came back and halved the hole and everything was gravy from there. But everything about the event before then? They were there, even if just a little.

The Callaway guys will have you feeling like you’ve known them forever in no time and it’s welcoming from the get go. But until a few tee shots had flown for me I had that anticipation.

I was surprisingly calm going in to it. About the only nervousness I had was because I had a tight layover and my first flight got delayed taking off. Other than that flight concern everything else was good. I just made sure I had everything packed and I knew Callaway was taking care of everything else, I was just along for the glorious ride.

Wow, the team has been a little quiet since the email from Penny came. Who is getting excited?

I think we are still in shock that we are actually coming out there in 40 something days. Still trying to wrap my head around it!

Wow, the team has been a little quiet since the email from Penny came. Who is getting excited?

The email from Penny made things a lot more real yesterday! It seems like I was just selected yesterday but that was in May and we only have 40 something days left to go!

Let’s get this party started!!

Dude, I am still over the moon! I think about it everyday and my poor wife is getting annoyed with me talking about it all the time! I cannot wait to meet you and the crew!

Have you been practicing lately? You might need to when you play us :p

The email made it finally seem very real for sure. Can't wait to get more info about flights and such. Staying super busy at work is at least making the time go by a bit faster.

Hob nobbing with Callaway, meeting up with 12 guys I count as friends, and just soaking in more golf knowledge in 3 days time than I could imagine.

12 friends for now. 12 brothers in December.

The butterflies calm down for me once I met everyone the first night. But the anticipation for what’s next and adrenaline went nonstop the entire trip.

Dude, I am still over the moon! I think about it everyday and my poor wife is getting annoyed with me talking about it all the time! I cannot wait to meet you and the crew!

Have you been practicing lately? You might need to when you play us :p

Oh, my wife had to listen to me read that email word for word last night.

She may or may not be sick of hearing me talk about this trip already. Making me promise to bring her somewhere next year.

I couldn't sleep for nothing the night before. It was crazy. When I landed I had so much adrenaline going through my veins from all the excitement and it didn't end the whole time there. I was amped the entire time. I believe @rogt had never flown before that trip and The Grandaddy has made him a traveling man now! Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As we inch closer and closer to go time, I cannot help but try and imagine what's on the horizon in regards to equipment. I think, given past product cycles, that we're probably due to see a chrome soft refresh. But, will we see a new Rogue replacement? Maybe something else? Are the players lines due for a refresh? I lean towards probably not, again, just based past cycles. Will AI play a role in something other than the flash face?

The off season is here. Silly season and equipment pondering mode engaged.

I think we are still in shock that we are actually coming out there in 40 something days. Still trying to wrap my head around it!

I told Penny it still doesn't feel real, haha. I'm not sure it'll feel real until we actually live it, and even then I'm going to be slapping myself to make sure I'm not dreaming! LFG!!!!!!

Any insight into the Zoocrew side? Has the dream team been assembled? Something tells me they're going to need some time to get their games into shape if that belt is going to stay in cali ;)

Excited is an understatement. So awesome to get the email from Penny and begin to kick things into high gear. Feels real now.

been a bit of a rough week in my house. that email from penny was a pick me up that caught me off guard in the best of ways.

Today marks 7 weeks (7?!?! ) until we make our journey out west. I cannot believe how fast time has flown to this point, and with thanksgiving the week prior, it will be here before we know it.

past participants, what did you focus on at this point?
IIRC I started really thinking about pairings.

I'm certainly not going to imply that the Hideaway is an easy course, because I know it's not. But, for me it's easier to adapt my game to courses with open fairways, than it is to deal with lots of trees. I'm spending more time on Google Earth, looking at layouts and trying to think about how I'd play various holes. This won't fully prepare me for actually walking on those perfect courses, but I hope that at least some of the unknown will be removed from the equation. Playing with completely new gear and the overall hype of those days will be hard enough to manage. No matter what, it's going to be good. Real good.
You have to remember that its team golf, so rarely are you just playing your own thing.
It's why I have stressed for a while for those that struggle with repeatability and their swing, should really be spending their time with that focus. Practicing putting, chipping, etc. That's fine, but the grass, greens, and bunkers are all going to be different than what you are used to. If you are a fairly low handicap, that should be your focus. If you are a high handicap, focus on the golf swing for TWO REASONS.

1. It will abandon you and nobody wants that. The idea of "look at all my pops" has resulted in a loss just about every time it has been a thing.
2. You have a chance to go through the fitting of a lifetime. Wouldn't you want your swing to be the best possible swing it can be?
The courses are really fair. There are obvious landing areas and the fairways are mostly generous. This makes JB’ advice even more true. It REALLY sucks to have your swing go south and struggle on courses like this, much less at an event as incredible as this.

With one possible exception, every member of Team Callaway golfs the heck out of their ball. Expect that Team THP will have to beat their handicaps to win. It isn’t easy to do. JB is right that you cannot just count on your pops.

Groove that swing, try to keep the ball in front of you and have one hell of a great time (and remember, this event really isn’t about wining).

. Like it was mentioned I had never flown, I like to be in control, even consid err Ed driving but it was a chance of a lifetime so what the heck. The flying was cool I’ve flown 12 times now since #TheGrandaddy. The whole experience was life changing to me and I thank JB and Callaway for that. I’m a lifer with both.
Your nerves will calm down once you get around all the guys in California. Nerves at the presentation no you’re head will be spinning so no time to be nervous ?. Fitting again your head will be spinning, Plus you probably won’t have the swing you think you do. I went in with a plan to focus on driver fitting, cause I knew what I wanted in shafts/setup for irons, I ended up wasting time with irons ?. The range time never enough time to work on everything that is new in your bag just try to find a comfortable setup. The matches gosh just have fun! I had a ball in team event and then got so locked into my match I didn’t enjoy the group I was with. I regret that because it was a great group. Listen just have fun is the key the whole company and zoo crew, course hosts are fantastic people

I felt ready but I can relate to being a worrier. I don’t consider myself an anxious person but for some reason I experienced some level of anxiety during the event and that impacted my appetite. I had a minor sinus infection too I think but I didn’t recognize the anxiety as anxiety until a few months ago.

So, I say that just to offer this advice: if you experience anxiety or think you might, learn to recognize and minimize it now so it isn’t detrimental to your experience. I had never thought of myself as having any anxiety before that. Weird, bad timing.

Penny forgot me. Hahaha

@JasonFinleyCG There’s two moments prior to the event when you’re relatively caught off guard. First is the obvious, the PM from JB that you need to turn on your camera and click the link. The second is that first email from a Callaway employee saying that they are literally going to hook you up with the time of your life and don’t worry because we don’t have to do a thing but have fun.
Both of those events are absolutely amazing.
Can’t wait to get out there and meet the crew.

The nervousness has not set in on me as of yet and I hope that it stays that way. My stomach churns on the way to play golf nearly every time I go out. The desire to play well and shoot a decent score burns inside of me no matter how much I try to suppress it. After the first tee shot as I play the hole I calm down and start concentrating on the task at hand.

I only have one other THP event to draw experience from but the knowledge gained will help keep me calm leading up to and during the Grandaddy. I was a nervous wreck trying to get my game in shape before the event and on the way from the hotel to the resort I could not even eat I was so amped up. All of that worrying was for nothing because when I met JB and my teammates at the driving range I was already feeling better. By the time we got to the first tee I was feeling fine and hit my first drive right down the middle.

I am comfortable where my game is at currently so I do not have anything to fret over. Bring on the fun, bring on the Zoo Crew.

i wouldn't say i'm nervous. i'm VERY excited, and have to keep pinching myself to make sure i'm not dreaming. that said, i am somewhat anxious. there's still that worry (not even sure that's the right word) that i and the rest of the team will get too caught up in the constant barrage of amazingness to remember to engage with the forum. i've been in other events, and that's always the part of an event that takes the most dedication: live interaction and engagement. but as a follower of other events, that's what we crave the most. that said, as intentional as i and others have been in past events when engaging the forum, none of us other than @mikeg_74 has experienced the whirlwind that is the grandaddy. so basically, i just don't want to get to the end of the event and regret not engaging with the forum as much as i should have.

Back