2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

What was the first shot at hideaway like for you guys that have been there?

I hope I don’t top it! I might need to tee the ball up higher

While I've only been to one event where there was a "first tee" shot, I think the key is to not do anything out of the ordinary with your routine. Don't take extra time because "it's important" or anything like that. Step up, practice swing, actual swing. Don't give your brain time to think.

@tomcat is right, do what you do and just stick to it. Dont overthink it, and if you cant, just grab any club and hit your "go to shot" that you dont ever think about trying to hit and just do it.

I had a 200 carry over water to start....I have no idea how I did it, but managed to hit a decent tee shot and got the nerves calmed down early.

Still don't know how I pulled it off, but I hit a perfect baby draw with my 4H into 17 on the Pete Dye course. Was a par 3 playing around 200ish, landed on the front part of the green. We were the 2nd group going off that hole so I think being able to watch them and also just relax and chat with everyone at the tee box before it was our turn helped the nerves a lot.

I'm just coming out of a really busy stretch at work, so I'm trying to catch up on all things Grandaddy. And I'm getting really, really excited. As the first contest winner, the actual event has seemed such a long way out for such a long time that it's hard to have it feel real sometimes. But watching others get selected one-by-one and then getting to know everyone has been phenomenal. We have such an insanely good group of guys.

That e-mail from Penny a couple days ago really made things sink in. This thing is almost here! I'm getting pumped for every aspect of it and I can't really decide what I'm the most excited about. This morning, I'll go with new equipment. I've never been a huge putter guy, but the putter fitting is one of the things I'm really looking forward to. With other equipment, even if I'm not fit for it, I can generally tell what I hit well and what I don't. But with putters, I have no idea. I could be using completely the wrong thing and thinking I like it. The opportunity to have the best in the business tell me exactly what will help me putt the best is sort of mind blowing. I'm kind of hoping they say it's the new SL #10, but you can be sure I'll be putting with whatever it is they tell me to use.

I also can't wait to get out there to hang out with everyone in person. It will be great to see the ZooCrew folks I've met before again and to get to know everyone else. Just so you know, @JasonFinleyCG, if we end up playing together again, I fully intend to have a partner that uses his pops just as well as last time. It really takes the pressure off.

I have a suspicion the sand in my home course will be similar - @jdtox any I out there ? Although I don’t think you were in the sand when we played....

No I don't think I was in the sand at your course. I was in the sand a few times at the Hideaway, I mean why wouldn't you be? Didn't someone say its crushed marble? I had to experience that haha. Anyways no issues with the sand or the rough for that matter.

No I don't think I was in the sand at your course. I was in the sand a few times at the Hideaway, I mean why wouldn't you be? Didn't someone say its crushed marble? I had to experience that haha. Anyways no issues with the sand or the rough for that matter.
Crushed marble!? Jeez of course it is...I may need to just aim for the bunker at some point :p

oh boy....
just saw some teasers and from a description (which again this early could be wayyyy off so im not going to spread too much), i think the new driver will be a big hit for many.

#TopGun status

oh boy....
just saw some teasers and from a description (which again this early could be wayyyy off so im not going to spread too much), i think the new driver will be a big hit for many.

#TopGun status

i'm trying to stay away from any leaks. i'd rather be completely surprised by the info we get first-hand from the people who designed the products and know actual facts. this isn't directed at you, i'm just saying in general i don't want to form any preconceived notions beforehand.

i'm trying to stay away from any leaks. i'd rather be completely surprised by the info we get first-hand from the people who designed the products and know actual facts. this isn't directed at you, i'm just saying in general i don't want to form any preconceived notions beforehand.

I completely get it and would probably be the same way if I was going haha. Better to hear it straight from the source obviously.

Super excited for everyone involved though. Cannot wait to get as much first hand knowledge from y’all as allowed come December.

i had the worst starting hole - like a 190 yarder over water on a long par 3. I hit it about 165. Thankfully I had a partner.

I will second this, especially on the bunkers. The bunkers are like no other bunkers I have hit out of! I remember being on the practice range and heading over to the sand trap to get a feel for them and boy were they hard to hit out of. The sand just sucks your club in. Honestly, it's just hard to explain it, but everyone should be ready to adapt. This course is like no other you will play on and as JB states, focus on your short game! That is where you will make your money. Secondly, you are going to playing with clubs you have never played with before, so your game is going to change a little. Lastly, everyone should relax and have fun! This is what the event is all about. If you concentrate on winning and not on getting the most out of the friendships and experience and good people, you are missing it all!
Maybe it was the rain but I remember on day 2 the bunkers had the softest fluffiest sand I'd ever seen. The sand on the course was not remotely the same.

Maybe it was the rain but I remember on day 2 the bunkers had the softest fluffiest sand I'd ever seen. The sand on the course was not remotely the same.
I remember my first swing in the bunker before Roger Cleveland came over and gave me some pointers. My club sucked right into the sand. I was like wth!!!

What tees did you guys play from?
Honestly, I don't remember. I normally play at 6300 to 6600. I don't ever recall feeling like the tees were an issue that weekend.

I am really enjoying the time leading up to the event, but really excited to get on that plane and just enjoy it all. Meeting new people has always been easy so this should be a blast.

I had a 200 carry over water to start....I have no idea how I did it, but managed to hit a decent tee shot and got the nerves calmed down early.
Sounds like we started on similar holes. We had to carry it over water on a par 4 or par 5 and I hit one of my best drives of the event. It felt glorious. I think we all striped it down the middle, which was cool.

Yes, they put crushed marble in the bunkers a year or two ago I think but only one of the courses if I recall correctly. It's not as cool as it sounds. It looks awesome but I had a fried egg almost every time I got in one and that's not normal. Our caddie said members don't seem to like them either. So...stay out of them. ;)

For me it was a drop kick straight into the water. I guarantee it will be one of, if not the most scenic tee shots for the team. Those courses are GORGEOUS.

Nearly a year later - when packing for a weekend trip - these still get the blood pumping with the fabulous memories they bring back
D5C8A15B-9D02-455D-BC60-E981598AB201.jpeg

Nearly a year later - when packing for a weekend trip - these still get the blood pumping with the fabulous memories they bring back
View attachment 8911524

There have been only a few experiences in my life that I’ve been able to visualize/remember completely vividly. These include my wedding, and this event. It really is something that has stuck with me, and I can’t wait to follow the 2019 team.

Back